Author Topic: Old friends Garrison Mathews and Matt Strus doing well with their new teams.  (Read 3252 times)

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Glad to see them doing well. It makes me question our talent development though. It would really be helpful to have these types of shooters in our team now. Pritchard and Nessie in the meantime are playing way below expectations. Then again, maybe it’s just a question of playing time?

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I refuse to believe that PP and Nesmith went from promising young players to total garbage overnight…especially after the summer they had. It is 100% about playing time, but I somewhat understand because of our depth.

Mathews and Strus are doing well for themselves, but they’d find themselves next to another promising young shooter on our team in Hauser at the very end of the bench.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Matthews wouldn’t be playing much here & he knew that
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Glad to see them doing well. It makes me question our talent development though. It would really be helpful to have these types of shooters in our team now. Pritchard and Nessie in the meantime are playing way below expectations. Then again, maybe it’s just a question of playing time?

It's possible that nobody bothered scouting them like they did Payton and Nessie. With so much video scrutiny these days I'm sure dossiers have been put together on every single player who has played significant minutes in the league, of all their strengths and weaknesses. Which side they like to drive, what systems they have played in, what happens when they get pressured, etc. It's those who can keep adjusting their games who are successful.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I refuse to believe that PP and Nesmith went from promising young players to total garbage overnight…especially after the summer they had. It is 100% about playing time, but I somewhat understand because of our depth.

Mathews and Strus are doing well for themselves, but they’d find themselves next to another promising young shooter on our team in Hauser at the very end of the bench.
I don't disagree.  The team finally has some real depth of good veterans with Schroder and Richardson. That said, I would be tempted to trade PP and Nesmith for Terrance Ross (not my idea, read it somewhere, maybe Bleacher Report).

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Yeah I mean you can't have it both ways. Last year a lot of people on this board were screaming about how young the bench is and how there's no experience. So the front office goes and get veterans: Schroeder, Richardson, Kanter.

This year many are mad that the youth isn't playing? We can't have it both ways, and honestly, the 3 above are impacting winning right now.

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Nesmith is a promising young player?

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Speaking of Max, he scored 25 points in 24 minutes off the bench in Miami's loss to the Bucks, which is a career high, beating his previous best of 20 points in a win against Detroit on the last regular season game of the year last year. Well done Max, carved a role for himself in the rotation this year.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Mathews was smart going to a bad team cause he knew he would get a better chance of playing
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
To your last point, yes, it’s always a question of playing time.

At the end the day, every single one of these nba players can play.  If you give any guy consistent minutes and a consistent role, they’re likely to produce.  And I mean anyone.

With regard to strus in particular, the team did sign him right?  Then green outplayed him and they changed their mind?  Maybe the team should have gone with its first instinct.

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Matthews is averaging 14 ppg in 29 mpg for a team that just won 7 in a row. Strus has become a legit deep threat coming off screens — has 25 the other night against the Bucks. Whoops!

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Matthews is averaging 14 ppg in 29 mpg for a team that just won 7 in a row. Strus has become a legit deep threat coming off screens — has 25 the other night against the Bucks. Whoops!

At some point we should put a thread together keeping track of "the ones that got away"  :angel:

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

At some point we should put a thread together keeping track of "the ones that got away"  :angel:

…. Especially when our bench is — shall we say — underwhelming.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

It's possible that nobody bothered scouting them like they did Payton and Nessie. With so much video scrutiny these days I'm sure dossiers have been put together on every single player who has played significant minutes in the league, of all their strengths and weaknesses. Which side they like to drive, what systems they have played in, what happens when they get pressured, etc. It's those who can keep adjusting their games who are successful.
That might be true for Strus, but it probably isn't for Matthews: he was a quality rotation player for the Wizards last year. Just our 2020s Pitino in the FO doing his thing :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
How on earth did we keep Jabari Parker over Matthews? Could Stevens and Udoka not see that Matthews could have been a regular rotation player on this team? He’s a very good shooter who plays hard and physical on defense (as Zach Lowe recently pointed out).

What a total airball.

Seriously speaking, has any team managed their edge rotation transactions worse than the Cs over the past 5 years? Holy moly.