Author Topic: Waivers, anyone you would like to sign?  (Read 10789 times)

Re: Waivers, anyone you would like to sign?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2023, 05:42:24 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Nerlens and Terence Davis, at least they can defend, Birch, and Biyombo would be upgrades.

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2023, 06:17:36 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Nerlens and Terence Davis, at least they can defend, Birch, and Biyombo would be upgrades.

Nerlens Noel is averaging 1 point and 3 rebs in 3 games at 14 min per, on 16% FG%.  He is not the answer.  Terence Davis is a wing and not even in the league right now, also not the answer and not even a need.  Biyombo probably isn't any better than Queta, so I don't see him helping.

As to Birch, there was a time where I had some interest in him.  There seemed to be a stretch when he was on TOR where every time I saw him play, he looked decent.  Not sure the current state of his game but surprised that SAS would just waive him.  Probably not a good sign.

The problem this season is similar to where we were at last season.  If a player is actually going to help, they need to be better than say Brissett or Pritchard or Hauser.  Just being better than Kornet doesn't help.  Think when we brought in Muscala last season, he was better than Kornet and better than anything Noel or Biyombo or even Birch has done lately, but he wasn't good enough to actually help.

I don't think it makes any sense to bring in what I call a scrap heap guy, someone who is waived or who is a salary dump from another team.  The move needs to be something more like the TPE and a first round pick to get an actual useful player, a player with value that takes a first round pick to get.  Scrap heap FAs or useless players on bad contracts are not the answer.

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2023, 06:46:27 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Kornet got zero minutes vs the Heat. Maybe it’s not too far fetched to think that he may indeed be cut if the right big man comes along.

I think he's a big risk to be cut, given his salary isn't guaranteed. He's the guy who will make way if we need someone else. But I wouldn't read too much into him getting zero minutes 2nd game of the season - Joe loves tinkering and he's not the type that will throw in 12 players into one game unless it's a blowout. He tends to stick to his rotation of 8 or so players but just pick which players will be getting that PT off the bench.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed Kornet's contract became guaranteed once he made the roster. I don't think the NBA/player's union would allow non-guaranteed deals once the season actually starts.

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2023, 07:46:00 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
Kornet got zero minutes vs the Heat. Maybe it’s not too far fetched to think that he may indeed be cut if the right big man comes along.

I think he's a big risk to be cut, given his salary isn't guaranteed. He's the guy who will make way if we need someone else. But I wouldn't read too much into him getting zero minutes 2nd game of the season - Joe loves tinkering and he's not the type that will throw in 12 players into one game unless it's a blowout. He tends to stick to his rotation of 8 or so players but just pick which players will be getting that PT off the bench.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed Kornet's contract became guaranteed once he made the roster. I don't think the NBA/player's union would allow non-guaranteed deals once the season actually starts.

I'm pretty sure it's only partially guaranteed, and becomes fully guaranteed in January. That was how his contract was structured last year
I'm bitter.

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2023, 11:31:19 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell

I'm pretty sure it's only partially guaranteed, and becomes fully guaranteed in January. That was how his contract was structured last year

Yeah, you're right. It becomes fully guaranteed on 1/10/24. Interesting...

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2023, 05:13:53 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

Nerlens Noel is averaging 1 point and 3 rebs in 3 games at 14 min per, on 16% FG%.  He is not the answer.  Terence Davis is a wing and not even in the league right now, also not the answer and not even a need.  Biyombo probably isn't any better than Queta, so I don't see him helping.

As to Birch, there was a time where I had some interest in him.  There seemed to be a stretch when he was on TOR where every time I saw him play, he looked decent.  Not sure the current state of his game but surprised that SAS would just waive him.  Probably not a good sign.

The problem this season is similar to where we were at last season.  If a player is actually going to help, they need to be better than say Brissett or Pritchard or Hauser.  Just being better than Kornet doesn't help.  Think when we brought in Muscala last season, he was better than Kornet and better than anything Noel or Biyombo or even Birch has done lately, but he wasn't good enough to actually help.

I don't think it makes any sense to bring in what I call a scrap heap guy, someone who is waived or who is a salary dump from another team.  The move needs to be something more like the TPE and a first round pick to get an actual useful player, a player with value that takes a first round pick to get.  Scrap heap FAs or useless players on bad contracts are not the answer.

Agreed. Could you imagine adding two more guys to the bench that are great defenders and borderline starters? Attach a future first and TPE for Precious Achiuwa. Then add filler to Pritchard and get Caruso?  That would be a sick Top 8. Talk about going all in.

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2023, 05:27:36 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Agreed. Could you imagine adding two more guys to the bench that are great defenders and borderline starters? Attach a future first and TPE for Precious Achiuwa. Then add filler to Pritchard and get Caruso?  That would be a sick Top 8. Talk about going all in.

There are a couple of younger PF/C players around that are on contracts that could fit the TPE, Achiuwa is one and I have posted to that effect multiple times.  Jalen Smith on IND is another.  I would be thrilled for someone like that for a 1st round pick (using the TPE) which seems fair.

I would be less excited to trade Pritchard for Caruso, and I assume that would also need to include some draft capital and fair amount of "filler" (Pritchard is now a poison pill contract).  It is just not nearly as much of a need.  We have plenty of guards.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2023, 08:25:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I wonder what it would take to get Nick Richards from the Hornets.  Doesn't seem like a guy that would be in their future long term, but would be a solid 3rd big for the C's.  I wonder if Boston's 2024 1st would be enough.  Just absorb Richards into the Grant TPE.  He is signed for 3 years so a good solid bench big at a reasonable price for the next few.  Seems like good cap management. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2023, 10:56:20 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
I wonder what it would take to get Nick Richards from the Hornets.  Doesn't seem like a guy that would be in their future long term, but would be a solid 3rd big for the C's.  I wonder if Boston's 2024 1st would be enough.  Just absorb Richards into the Grant TPE.  He is signed for 3 years so a good solid bench big at a reasonable price for the next few.  Seems like good cap management.

While I think a late first-rounder (likely as late as possible given the C's talent) is fair value for a low-ceilling backup like Richards, the Hornets also don't really have any reason to do the deal. They already have a lot of young players and their own (higher) picks to get more. They developed Richards themselves and they would have to draft a new young big and do it all over again if they dealt Richards.

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2023, 11:06:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

While I think a late first-rounder (likely as late as possible given the C's talent) is fair value for a low-ceilling backup like Richards, the Hornets also don't really have any reason to do the deal. They already have a lot of young players and their own (higher) picks to get more. They developed Richards themselves and they would have to draft a new young big and do it all over again if they dealt Richards.
Hornets are bad and aren't going anywhere.  Richards is almost 26, by the time they are any good, Richards will be 30 and on another contract.  The 1st they can use to get a guy of basically that talent level, but that is much younger and cheaper.  I just think the Hornets will come to the conclusion they need to start over around Ball and Miller and I suspect everyone else on the team will be on the table at some point this year (even guys like Bouknight).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2023, 11:17:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769

Hornets are bad and aren't going anywhere.  Richards is almost 26, by the time they are any good, Richards will be 30 and on another contract.  The 1st they can use to get a guy of basically that talent level, but that is much younger and cheaper.  I just think the Hornets will come to the conclusion they need to start over around Ball and Miller and I suspect everyone else on the team will be on the table at some point this year (even guys like Bouknight).

I think you are right about the Hornets, but typically those teams aren't trading the guys on their rookie contracts. Rozier, PJ Washington, Hayward, Richards, and Martin could all possibly be had. I do think that Mark Williams projects to be part of their young core as well.

Is Richards better than a minimum big? How much better is he than Queta, for example? Both big, athletic bigs that can rebound some, block, and finish. Neither very good at PnR defense and both lack feel on both sides of the ball.

Just talking it through, but I think I'd prefer a different option. I'd rather a guy that's a big 4.

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2023, 11:37:53 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell

The thing is, the Hornets have already been rebuilding since 19-20 when they let Kemba go. From their perspective, this is already the fifth year of the rebuild, not the beginning of a new one. Yes, they'll probably still be bad this year but LaMelo Ball's already in the last year of his rookie deal so it's not like he's a kid. Bridges has his legal stuff but eventually he'll likely be back. I think they see last year as an anomaly and are eager to get back to the 43-win pace they achieved in 21-22. They also don't have any cap pressure so there's zero reason to let go of a perfectly good backup in Richards.

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2023, 07:56:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Well, I just disagree with that. Replacing Kornet with somebody better would be helpful. Muscala has 3-pt range but just didn't hit enough shots with us. That doesn't mean it was a bad idea.

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2023, 08:17:52 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Well, I just disagree with that. Replacing Kornet with somebody better would be helpful. Muscala has 3-pt range but just didn't hit enough shots with us. That doesn't mean it was a bad idea.

I actually thought bringing in Muscala was a good idea at the time.  I thought he was going to be better than he turned out.  He is a career 37.9% 3-point shooter.  He shot 38.5% for the Celtics in 20 games.  But he just looked kind of lost on the court.  He looks far better on paper than on the court.

My point isn't whether or not it was a good idea to bring in Muscala, the point is that he didn't help and he is better than any of these scrap heap guys.  These scrap heap guys will help less than Muscala helped in all likelihood. 

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2023, 09:13:36 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Someone to replace Luke Kornet.