Author Topic: Choosing Dwight over Kobe. (Amnesty Kobe?)  (Read 4051 times)

Choosing Dwight over Kobe. (Amnesty Kobe?)
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Mark Cuban suggested that the Los Angeles Lakers may have to consider using their amnesty provision on Kobe Bryant this offseason.

Bryant is owed $30.4 million for the 13-14 season, but continues to play at a high All-Star level.

"If you look at their payroll, even if Dwight (Howard) comes back, you’ve got to ask the question: Should they amnesty Kobe?"

Cuban said he wouldn't consider doing a similar move on Dirk Nowitzki. The Dallas Mavericks have made several cost-saving moves in recent offseasons, such as their decision not to re-sign Tyson Chandler.

"It’s the same reason I wouldn’t get rid of Dirk (Nowitzki). I’ll take a hit for a season rather than get rid of Dirk. That’s just it. I’ve made that commitment to him over the years and he’s returned that commitment. Maybe that’s selfish, but that’s just the way it is."

The Lakers will have the highest luxury tax bill in the NBA for the 12-13 NBA season.

If the Lakers use their amnesty provision, it will more likely be on Metta World Peace and his $7.7 million salary.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/2/22/4018448/lakers-news-2013-kobe-bryant-mark-cuban-amnesty

The Lakers chose Kobe over Shaq, would stop them from doing the same thing this offseason? Kobe will make more than $10 million more than the next highest paid player next season when he maxes out on his final year at $30 million.

HoopsHype says the Lakers have $78 Million committed next season - this is without Dwight.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

If they amnestied Kobe and signed Dwight to a max deal - starting at 16.5M, I think that is the new max in the new CBA, that brings the Lakers down under Luxury Tax.

All that said, I think the Lakers will eat the LT for next season and then rebuild when all their major deals expire. In the summer of 2014 they will be in prime position to make a run at Lebron James with Howard locked up. Imagine Lebron and Dwight together in La La land in their prime? Kiss the title record goodbye.

The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Choosing Dwight over Kobe. (Amnesty Kobe?)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Not happening. They will move Artest.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
What a glorious day that would be

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If they amnestied any star guy it would be Gasol.  But yeah, it's MWP or nobody.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
While amnestying other players saves money, applying it to Kobe gets them out of the luxury tax.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lakers will never amnesty Kobe and its almost a certainty he won't ever be in another jersey in his career.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Funny, I was just talking to a co-worker about this. I said if management went to Howard and said what would it take to get you resigned, and if he said get rid of Kobe, it would happen.

I don't think it would, but it would be a smarter move on LA's part to ditch the 35 year old for the 28 year old center.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
While amnestying other players saves money, applying it to Kobe gets them out of the luxury tax.

It's pretty unlikely that amnestying Kobe would put them under the luxury tax.

If they amnesty Kobe and give Dwight a max extension, they're just a hair below the luxury tax with 5 more roster spots to fill.

Metta World Peace is the most likely amnesty.  Pau Gasol is also a possibility.  Probably not Kobe.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:49:01 PM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Seriously? C'Mon...this is the silliest thread I may have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Funny, I was just talking to a co-worker about this. I said if management went to Howard and said what would it take to get you resigned, and if he said get rid of Kobe, it would happen.

I don't think it would, but it would be a smarter move on LA's part to ditch the 35 year old for the 28 year old center.

How ironic would that be? Kobe to Shaq then Dwight to Kobe.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Its already happened. Dwight is the future and is going to be given the keys. Kobe will find this out the hard way his next contract negotiation.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Seriously? C'Mon...this is the silliest thread I may have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Cuban brought it up and major outlets are reporting it. I don't see what is so silly about bringing it to the table here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=amnesty+kobe&gbv=2&oq=amnesty+kobe&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3..0l2j0i5i30j0i8i30l3.3514.5920.0.6170.12.11.0.1.1.0.63.668.11.11.0...0.0...1c.1.Mk_LuFpyL5Q
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:01:01 PM by JSD »

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Its already happened. Dwight is the future and is going to be given the keys. Kobe will find this out the hard way his next contract negotiation.

Right. I’m talking about as far as forcing him out of town. If I remember correctly, the consensus was that Kobe was going to eventually walk  if Shaq wasn't shipped out. Could Dwight do something similar? I think it is unlikely but def possible.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Kobe not leaving.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Gotta love Cuban.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)