Author Topic: If We Acquired Love & Harden, Are We Good Enough?  (Read 6929 times)

If We Acquired Love & Harden, Are We Good Enough?
« on: December 18, 2020, 12:03:41 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Let’s say the Cavs agreed to give us Larry Nance Jr. for our TPE immediately followed by this trade:

https://tradenba.com/trades/jm2PrAQxg

Is this roster good enough to win it all in 2021:

Harden
Smart
Tatum
Love
TT

Theis
Teague
R. Williams
G. Williams
Nesmith
Ojeyele
Pritchard

Re: If We Acquired Love & Harden, Are We Good Enough?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 12:23:43 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
No. Harden is a cancer.

Have you not been reading the reports coming out about life in the Rockets organization with James Harden ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 12:25:07 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
No. Harden is a cancer.

Have you not been reading the reports coming out about life in the Rockets organization with James Harden ?

No, I’m too busy fantasizing about having the league’s leading scorer how many years in a row now? Pairing that with Tatum? Oh my!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 01:14:58 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Until Walker proves that his health will allow him to return to his old form, I don't think that he is a viable trade component.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 02:43:23 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
No. Harden is a cancer.

No, I’m too busy fantasizing about having the league’s leading scorer how many years in a row now? Pairing that with Tatum? Oh my!

He'd probably demand for Danny to trade Tatum because he takes too many of his touches..

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 07:17:57 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Until Walker proves that his health will allow him to return to his old form, I don't think that he is a viable trade component.
You are right that teams are wary of the arthritis but to me Walker played pretty much at his old form all year last year.  If some more 3's went down in the playoffs we wouldn't be talking about his form at all.  It's not a Klay Thompson or Victor Oladipo situation of having no idea of what level the guy will be playing at. 

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You are right that teams are wary of the arthritis but to me Walker played pretty much at his old form all year last year.  If some more 3's went down in the playoffs we wouldn't be talking about his form at all.  It's not a Klay Thompson or Victor Oladipo situation of having no idea of what level the guy will be playing at.

His post-All Star numbers suggest that he didn't play well before the shutdown. He went from 21.8 points per game while shooting 43% to 14.4 points per game on 39% shooting. During the bubble, we saw the same strong start and then kind of a sputter towards the end. Maybe the injection works out and he can play at a high level over the full course of a season moving forward, but no one knows yet. I don't see teams rushing to give up players or assets without knowing which version of Kemba they're getting.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 09:47:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why are the Celtics taking Love?   Isn't he a negative value contract at this point.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why are the Celtics taking Love?   Isn't he a negative value contract at this point.
Also.....why are the Celtics taking Harden? Isn't he a negative value teammate and person at this point?

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 09:55:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Love isn't worth Kemba straight up. A package of Nance + Love for Kemba, Langford, 3 2nd round picks and massive TPE is an insane overpay.

Would rather try and flip Kemba for someone like Vucevic if that's the path we're going
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Also.....why are the Celtics taking Harden? Isn't he a negative value teammate and person at this point?

I can understand the argument for Harden.   Talent like that doesn't become available all the time (even though I don't want to give up Brown for him or take the chance he will alienate Tatum to the Celtics)

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Why would the Cavs want To pay Kemba $34M when they have Sexton and Garland?

A small guard is probably the last player they want to bring back for Love (and Nance).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 11:22:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I don't think you can actually make the trade because you can't turn around and trade Nance with other players.  It has to be all at once.

That said, I don't think Cleveland does the trade.  Walker is damaged goods and plays the same position as two recent top 5 picks for the Cavs (Langford does as well).  They also really like Nance and have no incentive at all to trade him, especially with trading Love also leaving a gaping hole in their front court.

I don't mind the trade so much for Boston as we get to keep Smart (though 3 1st's is more than I'd want to pay giving up Brown), which is a big benefit.  Harden, Smart, Tatum, Love, Thompson is right there with Milwaukee in the East and could challenge the Lakers or Clippers out west. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Yeah, I’m sure the same thing was said about Hayward. Until you know, he hit the open market and immediately got a $120M deal from a random team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 11:36:52 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Why would the Cavs want To pay Kemba $34M when they have Sexton and Garland?

A small guard is probably the last player they want to bring back for Love (and Nance).

Because celtics fans believe any team is dying to take their trash off their hands for nothing.

Anyone expecting anything out of kemba is in denial... His career is over, the last procedure he had is in the sports world, considered a hail mary that rarely works.

Sad sure but it was a wasted venture to begin with.

Back on topic, I'd take love and harden but what it'd cost makes me a little hesitant. Not so much because I'm in love with our players but it'd probably involve both brown and smart. I just feel that's too much defense walking out the door.