Author Topic: Best ideas to use the massive trade exception.  (Read 4666 times)

Best ideas to use the massive trade exception.
« on: December 16, 2020, 08:34:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I thought I’d make a spot to put all the trade exception ideas in one place. Maybe it won’t become clear until the Celtics play a few games what exactly the missing piece is. It also probably won’t be clear who’s available for a bit. So, ideas?

Re: Best ideas to use the massive trade exception.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I want a veteran wing this year probably near the trade deadline.  I don’t know who will be available, but I think that’s our biggest need.  Ideally someone who can handle the ball and contribute to running the offense.  I wish Ainge made an aggressive play for Bogdan, but that’s in the past.  Winslow is the guy that comes to mind.  Who knows if he’ll be healthy or available, but if healthy he seems like the kind of player we could use and we know Ainge liked him once upon a time.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 09:19:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have been pushing Winslow for a while now. $13M/yr w/ team option for next season, only 24 y/o, can play both Forward positions, is a playmaker, defender, and has even improved his 3 point shot. He is also a part of a team (MEM) that is set to disappoint in a big way and I assume he could come cheaper than Aaron Gordon. If we could get him at the deadline, that would still give us $15.5M to work with next offseason and would keep us below the tax this season.

It looks like he'll be healthy soon, but that is something we'd need to watch out for if we are giving up real assets for him.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 09:26:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd like a big wing. Either Harrison Barnes or ideally Aaron Gordon. I think both Sacramento and Orlando will be sellers at some point this season.

I'd be fine with Justise Winslow too but I'd be surprised to see Memphis punt on him so quickly when he's young enough to fit into a core with Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 11:51:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I'd like a big wing. Either Harrison Barnes or ideally Aaron Gordon. I think both Sacramento and Orlando will be sellers at some point this season.

I'd be fine with Justise Winslow too but I'd be surprised to see Memphis punt on him so quickly when he's young enough to fit into a core with Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr.

Barnes, Gordon and Winslow would all be solid.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 01:28:15 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The correct answer is:

Wait for big fish... never catch it... let TPE expire next summer.

I’d be surprised if we use the Kanter TPE, let alone the largest one ever created. I’d love to be wrong on this, but I doubt it.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 02:26:49 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The correct answer is:

Wait for big fish... never catch it... let TPE expire next summer.

I’d be surprised if we use the Kanter TPE, let alone the largest one ever created. I’d love to be wrong on this, but I doubt it.

I prefer that to using it just to use it on a salary cap albatross with bad advanced metrics because it feels good to do something in the moment

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 07:03:57 AM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
I prefer that to using it just to use it on a salary cap albatross with bad advanced metrics because it feels good to do something in the moment

Wyc? Is that you?
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 10:47:51 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
There are reports that Gobert wants the super max and that Utah is obviously unwilling to give it to him. Perhaps we could pry him away using the exception and picks.

This is what I'm interested in:

https://tradenba.com/trades/jOVy0ShNC

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Gobert

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 11:03:07 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
There are reports that Gobert wants the super max and that Utah is obviously unwilling to give it to him. Perhaps we could pry him away using the exception and picks.

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Gobert

IMO, it would potentially still take more.

Romeo, Theis, Edwards and picks
for
Gobert

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 11:06:58 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Done and Done.

I'd do that in a second.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Gobert

It'd be pretty cool to have Gobert on this team. The only problem is the salary cap. Without trading away Walker, it's pert-a-near impossible.

That's when the deal Would need to get bigger. As a thought experiment, the Jazz would flip Conley for Walker, and they know they'd have to include more value back to do it. The Celtics would have to give more than a few draft picks for Gobert. Is there a middle ground to combine into one deal?

Celtics receive: Conley, Gobert
Jazz receive: Walker, Theis, Langford, Ojeleye, Edwards, future 1st

This trade would put the Celtics under the tax this year just barely, but they'd only have 12 players on their roster. Next year, they could give Gobert the max (not the supermax) and still would be roughly 12 million under the tax with 9 players on the roster. Obviously, they'd need to fill out the roster more both years, but it gets them pretty close and I'm sure there's a way to make it work.
Celtics: Gobert-Tatum-Brown-Smart-Conley with Thompson-Teague-Pritchard-Nesmith-Williams-Williams off the bench would be the best defensive teams in the NBA.

For the Jazz, this trade gives another reliable shot creator next to Mitchell that takes their offense to the next level, which was something Conley was suppose to be. Losing Gobert hurts. Frankly, they might be planning to move on anyway, and with Favors back on the roster, they still have reliable, solid big men with him and Theis. They would need to figure out who to trade next off-season to get back under the tax, but I think that team is pretty good.
Jazz: Favors-Bogdonavic-Ingles-Mitchell-Walker with Clarkson-Oneal-Theis-Langford-Ojeleye off the bench

For reference, compare the Blazers to this roster. Lillard and McCullom are probably a little better than the Mitchell-Walker duo, but their supporting casts are pretty much dead even or slightly favoring the Jazz. Favors and Nurkic. Covington and Bogdonavic. Ingles and Clarkson vs Simons and Jones. Etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:21:28 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I wonder if the Celtics may find a way to slip into a bigger trade (say for Harden) where they take a useful vet into the TE and Houston is able to cut salaries down.   

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Gobert

It'd be pretty cool to have Gobert on this team. The only problem is the salary cap. Without trading away Walker, it's pert-a-near impossible.

That's when the deal Would need to get bigger. As a thought experiment, the Jazz would flip Conley for Walker, and they know they'd have to include more value back to do it. The Celtics would have to give more than a few draft picks for Gobert. Is there a middle ground to combine into one deal?

Celtics receive: Conley, Gobert
Jazz receive: Walker, Theis, Langford, Ojeleye, Edwards, future 1st

This trade would put the Celtics under the tax this year just barely, but they'd only have 12 players on their roster. Next year, they could give Gobert the max (not the supermax) and still would be roughly 12 million under the tax with 9 players on the roster. Obviously, they'd need to fill out the roster more both years, but it gets them pretty close and I'm sure there's a way to make it work.
Celtics: Gobert-Tatum-Brown-Smart-Conley with Thompson-Teague-Pritchard-Nesmith-Williams-Williams off the bench would be the best defensive teams in the NBA.

For the Jazz, this trade gives another reliable shot creator next to Mitchell that takes their offense to the next level, which was something Conley was suppose to be. Losing Gobert hurts. Frankly, they might be planning to move on anyway, and with Favors back on the roster, they still have reliable, solid big men with him and Theis. They would need to figure out who to trade next off-season to get back under the tax, but I think that team is pretty good.
Jazz: Favors-Bogdonavic-Ingles-Mitchell-Walker with Clarkson-Oneal-Theis-Langford-Ojeleye off the bench

For reference, compare the Blazers to this roster. Lillard and McCullom are probably a little better than the Mitchell-Walker duo, but their supporting casts are pretty much dead even or slightly favoring the Jazz. Favors and Nurkic. Covington and Bogdonavic. Ingles and Clarkson vs Simons and Jones. Etc.

The trade I proposed (Theis, Romeo, Edwards and picks) for Gobert keeps the team about 100K below the taxline.

Question is, Does Utah feel that return is sufficient to remove the gamble Utah has going into the offseason with Gobert.

IMO, Theis and Romeo are both potentialy good fits there as Donovan can move to PG full time, BB at SG, Oneal at SF, Ingles at PF and Favors/Theis at center.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
My guess is if the TPE is used durning this season its for

T Ross
Satransky
Thad Young
Larry Nance
Trevor Ariza

Any one of those guys would keep Cs under the Luxury tax and leave about half of the TPE to use to bring in a FA for greater then the MLE via sign and trade.

I also coud see the Cs moving Theis for a 1st if Thompson and Timelord prove to be a viable big man rotation. The move would open a roster spot to bring in a bigger vet big and the 1st would be an asset to attach to the TPE.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet