Poll

If the "price is right" in trade talks, do you want the C's to make the move?

Yes
23 (21.9%)
No
82 (78.1%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Want The C's To Acquire James Harden?  (Read 13933 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Want The C's To Acquire James Harden?
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2020, 05:13:16 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What about the Blazers? They could offer McCullom, Little, Simons, Collins and whatever firsts and swaps necessary.

Lillard-Harden-Covington-Jones-Nurkic with Kanter-Hood-Trent-Giles-Anthony would be a pretty good/deep team.

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2020, 05:13:39 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Acquiring James Harden would gut the team, leaving Harden, Tatum, Kemba, and table scraps. The Rockets would want Brown, Smart, and most of our promising young players, plus take most of the next 5 years draft picks.

Were such a trade to happen, we'd be no better off. Or rather, we'd be worse off, because we wouldn't win a title, we'd have no assets for the future apart from Tatum, and Harden would likely bolt after 2 years (or more likely 3 years, because his lard ass isn't going to get another huge contract if he doesn't stop eating, so he may very well opt in on the $47million+ last year of his deal).

If a superstar possibility comes open, there are some that Ainge certainly should consider swapping such a haul for. This ain't it. No one should invest what it is going to take to acquire him vs. what you're getting in return.

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2020, 06:00:03 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I take comfort in the results of this poll so far - it's good to see that some ~80% of people here are not crazy :)

« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2020, 06:02:13 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Harden is like watching a 13 year old play NBA2k.

I genuinely lol'ed at this - TP for you sir :D

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What about the Blazers? They could offer McCullom, Little, Simons, Collins and whatever firsts and swaps necessary.

Lillard-Harden-Covington-Jones-Nurkic with Kanter-Hood-Trent-Giles-Anthony would be a pretty good/deep team.

One of the most likeable and one of the least likeable players in the league on the same team.

I'd be fascinated to watch that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2020, 06:29:42 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30528130/james-harden-houston-rockets-breaking-point

THE HOUSTON ROCKETS' culture in the James Harden era, which bridges two owners and now four head coaches, might be best summed up by a former staffer's three words:

"Whatever James wants."

Unless they were on the front end of a back-to-back set, it was essentially a sure thing that the Rockets stayed overnight -- or even an extra day -- after games in Los Angeles, Phoenix and other road cities that rank among Harden's favorite stops.

If the Rockets had two or three days between games, it was a good bet Harden would call for an off day and charter a private jet to party in Las Vegas or another city. He always gets an excused absence from the first practice after the All-Star break for the same reason.

By leaving the Rockets twisting in the wind while camp opened with little communication, Harden made his absence the focus of rookie head coach Stephen Silas' first days of practice. And by blowing off the NBA's COVID-19 protocols, partying maskless during the pandemic and boasting about it on Instagram, Harden revealed what could come if he doesn't get his way.

"Yeah, he's going to act up," a former Rockets staffer said.

"He's never heard 'no' before."

"If they have multiple days off, everybody knows: James is going to fly somewhere else and party," a member of last season's coaching staff said. "But he's going to come back and have a 50-point triple-double, so they're OK with it."

But the lack of discipline and attention to detail hasn't been OK with Paul and Russell Westbrook, ultimately leading to breakups between Harden and those two stars.

One of Paul's biggest beefs, sources said, was that Harden basically opted not to participate in the Rockets' offense when the ball wasn't in his hands, sometimes barely stepping over half court while spectating when Paul had the ball. Harden quickly tired of Paul barking about his concerns, which included lobbying coach Mike D'Antoni to implement more structure and movement in an offensive system that revolved around Harden's isolations, sources said.

This is the guy posters are going out of their way to concoct trade proposals for.

No thank you, Houston. You can keep him.

Well, all this is concerning to be honest. Obviously Ainge and Stevens would have to talk to Harden to see if he's willing to buy in the system and the organization before we'd make such a huge trade.

Of course a player can't decide when training starts or ends, needs to be on time for video sessions, has no say over specific trades or other players and isn't going to party after games.

If Harden is really that spoiled and a buffoon like Irving, and not willing to change his behaviour and leadership, then I also don't want him on the Celtics.

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2020, 12:08:53 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30528130/james-harden-houston-rockets-breaking-point

THE HOUSTON ROCKETS' culture in the James Harden era, which bridges two owners and now four head coaches, might be best summed up by a former staffer's three words:

"Whatever James wants."

Unless they were on the front end of a back-to-back set, it was essentially a sure thing that the Rockets stayed overnight -- or even an extra day -- after games in Los Angeles, Phoenix and other road cities that rank among Harden's favorite stops.

If the Rockets had two or three days between games, it was a good bet Harden would call for an off day and charter a private jet to party in Las Vegas or another city. He always gets an excused absence from the first practice after the All-Star break for the same reason.

By leaving the Rockets twisting in the wind while camp opened with little communication, Harden made his absence the focus of rookie head coach Stephen Silas' first days of practice. And by blowing off the NBA's COVID-19 protocols, partying maskless during the pandemic and boasting about it on Instagram, Harden revealed what could come if he doesn't get his way.

"If they have multiple days off, everybody knows: James is going to fly somewhere else and party," a member of last season's coaching staff said. "But he's going to come back and have a 50-point triple-double, so they're OK with it."

But the lack of discipline and attention to detail hasn't been OK with Paul and Russell Westbrook, ultimately leading to breakups between Harden and those two stars.

One of Paul's biggest beefs, sources said, was that Harden basically opted not to participate in the Rockets' offense when the ball wasn't in his hands, sometimes barely stepping over half court while spectating when Paul had the ball. Harden quickly tired of Paul barking about his concerns, which included lobbying coach Mike D'Antoni to implement more structure and movement in an offensive system that revolved around Harden's isolations, sources said.

This is the guy posters are going out of their way to concoct trade proposals for.

Well, all this is concerning to be honest. Obviously Ainge and Stevens would have to talk to Harden to see if he's willing to buy in the system and the organization before we'd make such a huge trade.

Of course a player can't decide when training starts or ends, needs to be on time for video sessions, has no say over specific trades or other players and isn't going to party after games.

If Harden is really that spoiled and a buffoon like Irving, and not willing to change his behaviour and leadership, then I also don't want him on the Celtics.

These anonymous sources could be attempting to drive down the asking price and/or keeping him out of the East. There’s no way the guy is partying all of the time, completely out of control, and leading the league in scoring how many years in a row now?

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2020, 12:38:26 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731

You are still getting the baggage with Harden but you are taking the chance that he has grown up and will listen to the coach and try to fit in by accepting some level of adjustment to his game.  If he does that, you are a title contender for a number of years.  If not, you have to deal with Harden by trade or let him sign elsewhere.

Isn't that what was said about Kyrie Irving when he came to Boston ?

A cancer is a cancer and does not change because they move to a different team. And if you think Danny and Brad are the two people who could motivate Harden to change his selfish ways, let me remind you that Stevens is afraid of his players and was miserable trying to manage Kyrie and all Danny did was kiss Irving's ass and make excuses for his bad behavior.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2020, 02:41:16 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
No.
The situation would look strikingly similar to the already presented failed Kyrie experiment.
Just another no-defense-diva in the wall.
It also hampers J&J development, and we don't want that to happen.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Keep Harden away from the Cs....

The rest of his career will be interesting to watch play out. I suspect he becomes a hired gun for desperate teams and is moved a few times in the next couple of years.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2020, 10:02:33 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

"Whatever James wants."

These anonymous sources could be attempting to drive down the asking price and/or keeping him out of the East. There’s no way the guy is partying all of the time, completely out of control, and leading the league in scoring how many years in a row now?

Not all the time, it was never said all the time. But a lot of times is not good for a pro player. Some of the leaks are really bad. Why is he a top REGULAR SEASON scorer? Its because he wants the entire team to cater to him. Also we all know he's not as good in the pre season

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2020, 10:39:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

You are still getting the baggage with Harden but you are taking the chance that he has grown up and will listen to the coach and try to fit in by accepting some level of adjustment to his game.  If he does that, you are a title contender for a number of years.  If not, you have to deal with Harden by trade or let him sign elsewhere.

Isn't that what was said about Kyrie Irving when he came to Boston ?

A cancer is a cancer and does not change because they move to a different team. And if you think Danny and Brad are the two people who could motivate Harden to change his selfish ways, let me remind you that Stevens is afraid of his players and was miserable trying to manage Kyrie and all Danny did was kiss Irving's ass and make excuses for his bad behavior.

Cancer can go into remission.  My premise was a trade based on Kemba.  There is risk with trading for Harden, no one is denying that.  But I would be willing to trade Kemba plus maybe Langford and picks, a trade that Houston is not likely to accept.  With the understanding that if it does not work, and Harden is a problem, all we have lost is Kemba (who is probably gone in a couple of years anyway), a prospect that is hurt a lot, and some picks probably in the mid 20s.  Under these conditions, I say sure, bring on Harden and take the chance.

As to Kyrie, I think that was worth the risk, I liked the trade.  What did we really give up?  It didn't work out but it is not like we gutted our team to get him.  Who knows what would have happened if Hayward did not suffer his injury 5 min into the season.  Maybe a little more winning would have helped to keep Kyrie and his issues in check.  At any rate, I view Harden as more potential reward and less potential risk over Kyrie.  A lot of the same kinds of tradeoffs but Harden is overall better.

It is all moot through I think because someone else will offer more and Harden will go elsewhere.

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2020, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Any chance that the owner of the Rockets would do a deal like this to make sure to screw Daryl Morey:

https://tradenba.com/trades/_t7wFHRBe

Basically 4 1st round picks (they would have to be unprotected), 8 2nd round picks, Kemba (who can later be flipped to the Jazz for Conley and more picks), a lottery pick player in Langford and two solid 1st round prospects in the Williams. That no-name player added is to make the cap work (without him, Rockets exceed the apron by $61K...if the Rockets preferred, we give up TPE and take Eric Gordon off their hands). In exchange, Morey has zero chance of winning a title with the 76ers.

Championship-bound, particularly if we get a couple ring-chasing vets to join and/or Nesmith/Pritchard contribute right away:

Harden
Smart
Brown
Tatum
TT

Teague
Theis
Nesmith
Pritchard
Ojeyele
Jefferson
Green
Edwards

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Any chance that the owner of the Rockets would do a deal like this to make sure to screw Daryl Morey:

https://tradenba.com/trades/_t7wFHRBe

Basically 4 1st round picks (they would have to be unprotected), 8 2nd round picks, Kemba (who can later be flipped to the Jazz for Conley and more picks), a lottery pick player in Langford and two solid 1st round prospects in the Williams. That no-name player added is to make the cap work (without him, Rockets exceed the apron by $61K...if the Rockets preferred, we give up TPE and take Eric Gordon off their hands). In exchange, Morey has zero chance of winning a title with the 76ers.

Championship-bound, particularly if we get a couple ring-chasing vets to join and/or Nesmith/Pritchard contribute right away:

Harden
Smart
Brown
Tatum
TT

Teague
Theis
Nesmith
Pritchard
Ojeyele
Jefferson
Green
Edwards

Too many picks given up.

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2020, 08:43:11 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I said yes because I don't think this team is better than last year's team, and they can't even beat Miami in the playoffs.  Harden would shake things up, though not necessarily for the better.

Harden is not really what they need. They need a stronger game in the paint, especially defensive.  When I watch a pre-season game, I still see them bunching up on the perimeter shooting bad 3s instead of passing for the best shot. That's when they fall behind badly in the score.

I guess maybe Ainge is aware of this, having signed Thompson, who is a legitimate inside defensive player. The question is whether Stevens will play him. It looks to me like the starter will still be Theis. I thought he was supposed to be out for awhile, but he's right back in there.

I might add that Danny isn't getting any younger, and he's liable to roll the dice at any time. He hasn't won in 12 years, and his coach has never won. He's played it conservative trade-wise since the KG deal--maybe too conservative. All he really has to show for it is Tatum, Brown and Smart. Plus Walker who may have bad knees.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:49:27 PM by Bobshot »