Poll

If the "price is right" in trade talks, do you want the C's to make the move?

Yes
23 (21.9%)
No
82 (78.1%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Want The C's To Acquire James Harden?  (Read 13935 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Want The C's To Acquire James Harden?
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2020, 01:01:59 AM »

Offline Curley

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Yes, I did like him early on in OKC.  If he came to the C’s I would hope I would be wrong with what I think he would do to team chemistry at this point in his career.  I have no issues with you looking at the potential positives it could bring and I hope you are right if it did happen.

There is another element to this that needs to be considered. Why are people so concerned about the player's personality. Would they be so concerned if the Cs had a stronger coach. Looks like Cs got a college coach and they are concerned with handing him grown men to coach. Would their be this much concern for Harden's 'style' if the Cs had a coach like Popovich?

I like Steven’s but I don’t think he did a great job with Kyrie’s personality.  I think he could struggle with Harden as well.  My point was I just personally do not like his style of play.  Would rather root for the team as is or explore other avenues.

I will say if we had someone like Pop, it would probably be easier for me to convince myself that he might be able to get the best winning version of Harden that exists.

Still don’t like him though 😃

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2020, 01:27:01 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Yes on Harden if you keep Brown and Tatum on the team. I'm okay with Smart and Walker in a package to land him.

IMO, other than Tatum who is off limits to me, no reasonable offer for Harden does not include Brown. Walker, because of age and possible permanent damage, would be of no interest to Houston. I might be able to be talked into Brown and Smart (+filler if needed) for Harden if I knew that Walker was coming back at full speed with no knee problems, but I don't know that, and it seems less and less likely that he will.

If I knew that Walker was coming back full speed and the trade for Harden was made, the team would be constructed with 3 stars- Tatum, Harden, Walker, surrounded by complementary players like Thompson. That seems like reasonable roster construction for a contender. It all kind of depends on how you view Harden. Some people like him and others think that he's toxic.

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2020, 05:40:03 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Hearing the stories about Harden running everything in Houston (training schedules/roster management etc.) makes me really worried about his character. You can never let players dictate the organization.

But with Walker's knee concerns I don't believe the Celtics should make a move for Harden. The price for a superstar is often lower than initially expected and Houston will never get fair value, but Brown would need to be included to get the Rockets' interest.

Best case scenario you trade Brown + Walker + assets (something like: Walker+Brown+Langford+R.Williams for Harden+Gordon+Tucker) and then you'd have:

Smart/Harden/Tatum/Tucker/Theis  (+ Teague/Pritchard, Gordon, Nesmith, G.Williams, Thompson)

It's intruiging, because you'd still be $12M below the tax cap and could take on one of Mills/Rose/G.Hill/Redick/Satoransky/Snell/Ross/Winslow/Bjelica/T.Young/Nance Jr via the TPE.

But I think Toronto is the team that is a much more logical destination for Harden. VanVleet/Anunoby/Siakam isn't that impressive as a future core when Lowry retires (in comparison to Boston), might as well take a shot at another superstar.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:53:20 AM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2020, 06:05:19 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I will take a pass. Because the price won't ever be right for us.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2020, 08:02:11 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
And for everyone who keeps acting like Walker is just a damaged bag of potatoes and has 0 trade value is also incorrect. Hal act like John wall wasn’t just traded, like IT wasn’t traded for Kyrie.... Kemba was just an All-star last season.... he has a knee issue not a torn ACL or something broken... he can still actually play.

Theis is STILL a starting level big. Rather he’s playing Center or PF he has been starting for at least 2 seasons and I STRONGLY believe if he wasn’t hurt the Celtics would have beat Lebron in the ECF that year.

On top of that 3 or 4 first rounders....that’s a great deal and if that’s not the deal I’m not interested. Brown and Tatum must stay, I’m on the fence with Smart. If it’s Kemba + Smart then they get less draft picks. But Kemba + Smart + Theis is 3 starters, 1 All-Star, and 1 1st team All-Defender.... how are these not fair trades?

I think the Celtics have the best offer with Kemba and picks. No one else is offering an All-Star.

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2020, 08:07:27 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
And for everyone who keeps acting like Walker is just a damaged bag of potatoes and has 0 trade value is also incorrect. Hal act like John wall wasn’t just traded, like IT wasn’t traded for Kyrie.... Kemba was just an All-star last season.... he has a knee issue not a torn ACL or something broken... he can still actually play.

Theis is STILL a starting level big. Rather he’s playing Center or PF he has been starting for at least 2 seasons and I STRONGLY believe if he wasn’t hurt the Celtics would have beat Lebron in the ECF that year.

On top of that 3 or 4 first rounders....that’s a great deal and if that’s not the deal I’m not interested. Brown and Tatum must stay, I’m on the fence with Smart. If it’s Kemba + Smart then they get less draft picks. But Kemba + Smart + Theis is 3 starters, 1 All-Star, and 1 1st team All-Defender.... how are these not fair trades?

I think the Celtics have the best offer with Kemba and picks. No one else is offering an All-Star.

The key is the thrid team. I do not see Houston wanting Kemba.

If there is a third team that needs kemba for an allstar at a different position then you can make a deal. But I dont know of one.

Maybe Spurs for Demar Derozan?

Kemba to the Spurs
Demar, Romeo, 2 picks from Boston to Houston
Harden to Boston

That might work.

Smart/PP/Teague
Harden/Nesmith/Edwards
Brown/Semi
Tatum/Grant
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

Would need to nab sf/pf off the free agency pile.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2020, 08:15:30 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford

If there is a third team that needs kemba for an allstar at a different position then you can make a deal. But I dont know of one.

Screw all that 3rd team jazz that’s for Houston to figure out. They just traded for a player whom hasn’t played in 2 seasons! We are giving them a current All-Star who has value. If they choose to flip him for more players or something then cool, that’s not the Celtics issue. They are getting Kemba + Hella draft picks, the only teams that can match that are non contenders. They can flip him to the knicks for even more draft picks and some players if they want. The Rockets will undoubtedly have options with Wall and Kemba next off-season.

Why would they want Kemba?

- Current All-Star
- Unselfish
- Locker room guy
- Professional
- 20 PPG player
- A veteran for younger players
- LOCKED IN TO A MULTI YEAR CONTRACT

The new team:

PG: Harden/Teague/Waters/Pitchard
SG: Smart/Langford/Edwards
SF: Brown/Naismith/Green
PF: Tatum/G.Williams/Jefferson
C: Thompson/R.Williams/Fall

PLUS TPE! This could be used to add more players or for salary dump with draft pick considerations....

This gives those young draft picks PLAYING TIME. Let them boys finally get some minutes so they can become valuable either for us or for some other team. By time Hardens contract is up, our bench young’s will be in like their 3rd year. The interesting thing about the Celtics is they have players who can’t do nothing but improve because they are so young and raw. Every year they will improve instead of the bench aging or just plain untalented like most rosters. We have a bench full of 1 round draft picks....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:40:18 AM by mrceltics2013 »

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2020, 08:40:55 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Screw all that 3rd team jazz that’s for Houston to figure out. They just traded for a player whom hasn’t played in 2 seasons! We are giving them a current All-Star who has value. If they choose to flip him for more players or something then cool, that’s not the Celtics issue. They are getting Kemba + Hella draft picks, the only teams that can match that are non contenders. They can flip him to the knicks for even more draft picks and some players if they want. The Rockets will undoubtedly have options with Wall and Kemba next off-season.

- Current All-Star
- Unselfish
- Locker room guy
- Professional
- 20 PPG player

The new team:

This gives those young draft picks PLAYING TIME. Let them boys finally get some minutes so they can become valuable either for us or for some other team. By time Hardens contract is up, our bench young’s will be in like their 3rd year. The interesting thing about the Celtics is they have players who can’t do nothing but improve because they are so young and raw. Every year they will improve instead of the bench aging or just plain untalented like most rosters. We have a bench full of 1 round draft picks....

Houston is not accepting a package centered around a 30 year old PG that's injured. The Cavs took that gamble with IT because they were trying to keep their championship aspirations alive. It also helped that they were getting an unprotected Nets pick that was guaranteed top 10. We have no picks with that cache.

And they took Wall because that was pretty much the only option to match Westbrook's salary.

If Boston wants to play ball here, they're giving up at least Jaylen Brown. It's a bit delusional to think otherwise. Especially considering that the teams Harden actually wants to go to (Brooklyn, Philly, Miami, Milwaukee) can put together trade packages with younger, healthier players.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2020, 09:15:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Walker, Smart, two first (2021, 2023), and the TPE is the best offer I'd make. Reasonable or not I just would not offer more. Team just had 3 max level contract guys walk and Harden has only two years left. It could be a two year window and it's done. Not to mention Harden may end up a terrible fit and then C's have to trade him. DA didn't deal Tatum or Brown for PG, Kawhi or AD rentals, he wouldn't deal them for Harden now. It's the right deal (a buy low one) or pass.

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford

- Current All-Star
- Unselfish
- Locker room guy
- Professional
- 20 PPG player

The new team:

Houston is not accepting a package centered around a 30 year old PG that's injured. The Cavs took that gamble with IT because they were trying to keep their championship aspirations alive. It also helped that they were getting an unprotected Nets pick that was guaranteed top 10. We have no picks with that cache.

And they took Wall because that was pretty much the only option to match Westbrook's salary.

If Boston wants to play ball here, they're giving up at least Jaylen Brown. It's a bit delusional to think otherwise. Especially considering that the teams Harden actually wants to go to (Brooklyn, Philly, Miami, Milwaukee) can put together trade packages with younger, healthier players.

I’ll keep the “delusions” alive then. I think that’s still a solid offer regardless. If they want more than ok we move forward, but that’s the offer I’d shoot. Harden comes with a lot and his antics aren’t increasing his trade value. Who are these top 25 and under players that Houston is expecting to get? No team is looking to trade their young studs for Harden because they are looking to ADD him on to the core, so what’s the next option?

Then they are looking for non playoff teams who are now in danger to mortgaging their future for a player whom may not stay. Not many young teams are ready to risk it all like that, which limits the teams again! I’m firm on believing that’s a good trade, until I’m argued more on just the knee issue that only was a problem 1 season of Kemba’s entire career.  Kemba was playing 70+ games before the Celtics....

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

- Current All-Star
- Unselfish
- Locker room guy
- Professional
- 20 PPG player

The new team:

I’ll keep the “delusions” alive then. I think that’s still a solid offer regardless. If they want more than ok we move forward, but that’s the offer I’d shoot. Harden comes with a lot and his antics aren’t increasing his trade value. Who are these top 25 and under players that Houston is expecting to get? No team is looking to trade their young studs for Harden because they are looking to ADD him on to the core, so what’s the next option?

Then they are looking for non playoff teams who are now in danger to mortgaging their future for a player whom may not stay. Not many young teams are ready to risk it all like that, which limits the teams again! I’m firm on believing that’s a good trade, until I’m argued more on just the knee issue that only was a problem 1 season of Kemba’s entire career.  Kemba was playing 70+ games before the Celtics....

The knee issue is chronic and its already going into a 2nd season of it being a problem. The procedure he had done is not a guarantee. We hope it works, but we won't know until he's back on the court. If we trade Kemba now to any team, it's likely as a salary dump.

But aside from his knee, there's age. Houston will be rebuilding and have already leaked that they want a young player that can be a franchise cornerstone. Kemba is 30. He's not a key piece in a longterm rebuild. Over the past few years, most superstar trades have fetched at least one blue chip prospect. AD got Ingram. Paul George got SGA (and Indy previously got Oladipo and Sabonis for him). I can't recall a star trade in recent memory where a player aged 30 or over was the headlining piece. Maybe CP3 for Westbrook, but weird circumstances surrounded that trade.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 09:50:25 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2020, 09:57:26 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

- Current All-Star
- Unselfish
- Locker room guy
- Professional
- 20 PPG player

The new team:

The knee issue is chronic and its already going into a 2nd season of it being a problem. The procedure he had done is not a guarantee. We hope it works, but we won't know until he's back on the court. If we trade Kemba now to any team, it's likely as a salary dump.

But aside from his knee, there's age. Houston will be rebuilding and have already leaked that they want a young player that can be a franchise cornerstone. Kemba is 30. He's not a key piece in a longterm rebuild. Over the past few years, most superstar trades have fetched at least one blue chip prospect. AD got Ingram. Paul George got SGA (and Indy previously got Oladipo and Sabonis for him). I can't recall a star trade in recent memory where a player aged 30 or over was the headlining piece. Maybe CP3 for Westbrook, but weird circumstances surrounded that trade.

I think Spurs would take on Kemba.

Always have.

Demar doesnt want to be there, he is gone in the offseason. So Kemba and Romeo for White and Demar.
Demar obviously to a third team

Also there is the clippers, but the return would have to be 100 pieces or include Morris (not a dang chance).
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2020, 10:16:49 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford

- Current All-Star
- Unselfish
- Locker room guy
- Professional
- 20 PPG player

The new team:

PG: Wall/Grant
SG: Walker/Mecklenmore
SF: Gordon/Green
PF: Woods/Tucker
C:  Theis/Cousins
————————

And they will have 15 draft picks with the 3 included from the Celtics. They have a solid starting lineup as they have no reason to lose...they don’t have many of their own draft picks at all. Then losing is only helping other teams out so why wouldn’t they want starter caliber players???
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 10:22:54 AM by mrceltics2013 »

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2020, 10:26:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If there was a way to trade the TPE for Hield and then combine him with Smart, sure.   

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2020, 10:59:09 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
Also, if the report is true and they would want Kyrie or Durant in a harden trade then it sounds like there are exceptions to the only wanting a young player theory. Granted Kyrie is 28, but is injury history as far worse than Kemba....he would also bring a locker room issue and paint more negativity towards Houston when they need to focus on recovery. Either way, offering Kemba is not a bad deal.