Poll

If the "price is right" in trade talks, do you want the C's to make the move?

Yes
23 (21.9%)
No
82 (78.1%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Want The C's To Acquire James Harden?  (Read 13937 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Want The C's To Acquire James Harden?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I like Harden’s game more than most. But I am quite afraid that he’d leave us in free agency, given a) he declined a 2/100 extension and b) we’ve just seen Hayward and Horford do similarly. 

I’d rather trade Kemba for something slightly lesser than Harden if we look good without Kemba to start the year and we decide to go down that path
he declined the extension because he wants to win and he can't do that in Houston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 10:42:00 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I like Harden’s game more than most. But I am quite afraid that he’d leave us in free agency, given a) he declined a 2/100 extension and b) we’ve just seen Hayward and Horford do similarly. 

I’d rather trade Kemba for something slightly lesser than Harden if we look good without Kemba to start the year and we decide to go down that path
he declined the extension because he wants to win and he can't do that in Houston.

I think people who don’t want Harden on the C’s are nuts;

Kemba + Theis + Semi + 3 1st rounders for James Harden

The Celtics will have Harden and still can hang on to the TPE. You have 3 Superb offensive players, with all kinds of great defense like I really can’t see how anyone can say no to this....

Would you be happier if we got Harden and flipped the TPE for Gobert? Like the options are plenty in my eyes.

Harden
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Gobert
———————
Now that’s a championship team.

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Mods need to find the 14 "yes" voters, and remove them immediately from the forum.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2020, 10:54:58 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Plus would y’all rather he join a contender? I’d rather contenders fear us for having 3 guys THEY CANNOT STOP then vise versa.

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2020, 10:58:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Plus would y’all rather he join a contender? I’d rather contenders fear us for having 3 guys THEY CANNOT STOP then vise versa.

that is another reason to vote yes. Harden is most likely getting moved to the Eastern  Conference. If the Cs do not get him he makes another team even that much more difficult to beat.

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2020, 11:01:18 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Mods need to find the 14 "yes" voters, and remove them immediately from the forum.
For wanting a top 5 player in the NBA?

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2020, 11:12:48 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I mean what is the right price? Because it seems like it would have to include Jaylen, an if thats the case no way. No. Hell no. I'd rather just hand the team t the Jays and see what they do with it.

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2020, 11:13:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

that is another reason to vote yes. Harden is most likely getting moved to the Eastern  Conference. If the Cs do not get him he makes another team even that much more difficult to beat.
statistically Harden plays worst against the Celtics out of every other team. For this reason, I hope one of our opponents gets Harden

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2020, 11:16:29 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Straight up?  Harden for jaylen? Nothing else though?. Yep. 

Jaylen is my favorite player.

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2020, 11:49:47 PM »

Offline Curley

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Truly would not want him for free.  It would be painful to see him in a Celtics uniform.  His style of play is just not for me.  Very talented offensive player but no thank you.

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2020, 12:03:05 AM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Chemistry would obviously be an issue with Harden. Sell him on the idea of running the point with Tatum and Brown on the wings. That would give you some serious artillery. Any trade would have to start with Kemba, along with Smart, Langford, picks, etc. I think you have to try and keep Jayson and Jaylen together. Third team probably needs to be involved seeing that Houston has Wall. The Celtics are no strangers to reaching out for players with so-called "issues", and have had pretty good success. Charlie Scott '76 (could he share the ball with Jo Jo, Havlicek, and Cowens?), Robert Parish '81 (could he be an inside force?), Dennis Johnson '83 (malcontent?). These moves helped win championships in 1976, 1981, 1984, and 1986. I voted Yes. Roll the dice.

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2020, 12:03:34 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Truly would not want him for free.  It would be painful to see him in a Celtics uniform.  His style of play is just not for me.  Very talented offensive player but no thank you.

Harden is an MVP candidate that can play point with the best of them. The style he played in Houston was forced on him. Check him out in OKC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypc5tNE3QkY

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2020, 12:22:41 AM »

Offline Curley

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Yes, I did like him early on in OKC.  If he came to the C’s I would hope I would be wrong with what I think he would do to team chemistry at this point in his career.  I have no issues with you looking at the potential positives it could bring and I hope you are right if it did happen.

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2020, 12:33:43 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Yes, I did like him early on in OKC.  If he came to the C’s I would hope I would be wrong with what I think he would do to team chemistry at this point in his career.  I have no issues with you looking at the potential positives it could bring and I hope you are right if it did happen.

There is another element to this that needs to be considered. Why are people so concerned about the player's personality. Would they be so concerned if the Cs had a stronger coach. Looks like Cs got a college coach and they are concerned with handing him grown men to coach. Would their be this much concern for Harden's 'style' if the Cs had a coach like Popovich?

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2020, 12:41:50 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Yes, if the price is right and if a deal is done before the season starts. If you are going all in, get a full year out of Harden.

The Hollinger deal of Brown + Smart + three 1st rounders hurts our backcourt so much defensively, that I don't think you can fix it easily.  If you substitute other considerations for Brown (0-1%) or Smart (possible), there could be a talented and balanced enough team to win this year with Harden + Smart + Kemba + Tatum + TT + the talent HOU did not take in place of Smart + whatever you can land with the TPE.  Perhaps you could do a side deal for Gordon with the TPE as a sweetener, which helps HOU dump a bad contract and which would diminish what you would throw into a player trade.

In any case, I wasn't impressed by the Lakers 4-2 win over a depleted MIA team to think we can't go further this year by adding a top 10 player + Thompson to handle big-bigs, + internal development + added bench offense + the seasoning they got in the bubble.  That being said, both Danny and Brad would have to be on board, and they may be looking to have a longer window with Tatum+Brown instead.