Author Topic: Surprised there's less interest in Evan Fournier  (Read 4023 times)

Surprised there's less interest in Evan Fournier
« on: December 03, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I know this guy's been brought up as a potential target for the TPE this year, but I actually think he's being underrated as an option.

1) Orlando is a strong candidate to sell-off players this year.
2) Salary ($17m) fits within the TPE, and also more importantly under the hard cap. Expiring after this year and I *think* the Celtics would retain his bird rights going forward but chime in here if htat's wrong.
3) Still only 27 and has been steadily improving. Last year: 21 points per 36 minutes on eFG of 56%. Not a ball-stopper and plays good team defense, to my knowledge (correct me if you disagree).
4) Celtics need another wing in the absence of Hayward. Fournier can slot into that type of roll as a guy who can do a bit of everything, but also has some size at 6'7"", 205lbs.

Most of the time when people discuss Orlando they bring up Aaron Gordon. I'm not sure Gordon is the better player of the two, or the better fit.

Stats: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fournev01.html
Highlights from last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2GflTXuBg0

Re: Surprised there's less interest in Evan Fournier
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the biggest problem with Fournier is that you'd probably have to pay him way too much next summer to keep him around long term.  Wings with size to defend 2/3, some ball-handling ability, and solid or better shooting, tend to get paid handsomely.  Look at what Bogdanovic got as a likely comp for Fournier's market.

He's a solid overall player, and would replace *some* of what Hayward did.  Of course part of the reason Gordo left is he wanted more of an on-ball role and the Celts are skewing more and more toward letting Tatum and Brown do the heavy lifting.

I think Terrence Ross would make more sense because he's under control for longer on a mid-size deal and he's more of an off-ball sniper.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 05:09:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Another weapon from 3 at 6’6” or 6’7” — I’m good with that. I love having a stable of guys that can improve flexibility, hit the long ball, get hot, hold their own v. other team’s wings.  We lacked sniper shooters especially against Miami and especially with Kemba not shooting well.  Got to put teams like the Heat on their heals a bit the way they had the C’s when Robinson, Ibaka, Dragic were on fire.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 05:27:34 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I know this guy's been brought up as a potential target for the TPE this year, but I actually think he's being underrated as an option.

2) Salary ($17m) fits within the TPE, and also more importantly under the hard cap. Expiring after this year and I *think* the Celtics would retain his bird rights going forward but chime in here if htat's wrong.
3) Still only 27 and has been steadily improving. Last year: 21 points per 36 minutes on eFG of 56%. Not a ball-stopper and plays good team defense, to my knowledge (correct me if you disagree).
4) Celtics need another wing in the absence of Hayward. Fournier can slot into that type of roll as a guy who can do a bit of everything, but also has some size at 6'7"", 205lbs.

Most of the time when people discuss Orlando they bring up Aaron Gordon. I'm not sure Gordon is the better player of the two, or the better fit.

Arron Gordon is a better fit and a better defender and would fill the need for a big forward. That’s where Hayward defended for most of the time he player. If it’s a straight up choice between Fournier and Gordon, I’d take Gordon. I also may be misremembering, happens too often these days, but wasn’t Fournier just cold in the playoffs last summer?

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 06:06:40 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Defense (Stomps Feet) Defense (Stomps Feet) He doesn't play it (Stomps Feet)
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 07:07:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I like him. His skill set and shooting accuracy are very desirable. TP.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Arron Gordon is a better fit and a better defender and would fill the need for a big forward. That’s where Hayward defended for most of the time he player. If it’s a straight up choice between Fournier and Gordon, I’d take Gordon. I also may be misremembering, happens too often these days, but wasn’t Fournier just cold in the playoffs last summer?

Aaron Gordon’s ability on defense is very interesting to me - he’s a rare athlete with great on-ball ability when he’s motivated. A lineup of Smart-Brown-Tatum-Gordon-Thompson would be *very* hard to score on.

I wonder how he fits on offense, though. His shooting numbers are bad, and in the few magic games I’ve watched, he seems to have terrible shot selection - isos into long 2s and off-the-dribble 3s. He also seems to want to be a first option, which would not go down well on the Cs. If anybody can see what his role would be I’d like to hear it.

Bigger picture, if Tatum wants to play the way he has, I think the Cs do need a guy who doesn’t mind playing the sniper role - which maybe we have in Nesmith. Tatum’s exceptionally talented, but I wonder if the way he likes to play is going to limit the team. Hayward complained that the ball stopped moving and his job was to stand in the corner waiting for a pass. Good as Tatum is, I think Hayward is right that the team is better when the ball moves. 

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Fournier is a very good athlete and can create his own shot effectively.

As to whether the Cs should pay him, I would if he advances the goal of winning a title.  This team should not be in asset-collection and draft pick-collection mode any longer. 

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Aaron Gordon’s ability on defense is very interesting to me - he’s a rare athlete with great on-ball ability when he’s motivated. A lineup of Smart-Brown-Tatum-Gordon-Thompson would be *very* hard to score on.

I wonder how he fits on offense, though. His shooting numbers are bad, and in the few magic games I’ve watched, he seems to have terrible shot selection - isos into long 2s and off-the-dribble 3s. He also seems to want to be a first option, which would not go down well on the Cs. If anybody can see what his role would be I’d like to hear it.

Bigger picture, if Tatum wants to play the way he has, I think the Cs do need a guy who doesn’t mind playing the sniper role - which maybe we have in Nesmith. Tatum’s exceptionally talented, but I wonder if the way he likes to play is going to limit the team. Hayward complained that the ball stopped moving and his job was to stand in the corner waiting for a pass. Good as Tatum is, I think Hayward is right that the team is better when the ball moves.

I think Aaron can be Bam-like offensively. He's an underrated passer who can play make a bit from the block or rebound and push it in transition. Put him in pick and rolls with Kemba, that'd be a dynamic combo. He's a guy who probably would've benefited from more structure and simplicity earlier in his career, but he's salvageable for sure.

But as mentioned above, his real intrigue is defense. That bigger wing/swing that can switch is something that we lack.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like Fournier and have always thought he was underrated. I do think he is a little more 'on ball' than what this team is looking for, though. He has a good thing going on in ORL - it would probably benefit him to keep playing there.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 12:05:39 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15

I think most people would have him at the top of their list for the TPE. And we know Orlando will be selling. I think the price, both in terms of assets to acquire  and price to re-sign, will both be too high.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 12:29:00 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I like Fournier but Magic fans seem to hate him and that kinda scares me
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 06:35:48 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like Fournier but Magic fans seem to hate him and that kinda scares me
I like his skills but he seems to be a little soft and wimpy to me.  I wonder if that's why Magic fans don't like him since he has very nice skills and doesn't seem to be a bad teammate or locker room problem.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
No to Evan, yes to Gordon.

Gordon is young, very young and there is alot of room for improvement. Only 13 months older than Brown.

Evan is 28 and is who he is now. Doesnt really bring anything that cannot be gotten from, potentially, NEsmith this season.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I hope the team places an extreme emphasis on defense and athleticism going forward, so I think Gordon would be perfect for this team. It would be important that he be enthusiastic about being a 3rd wheel, so we'd have to know that about him first.  I think he would be great just playing an opportunistic role, sort of like what Jaylen did two years ago, but maybe one or two more shots.

Shooting is great, but when you have Smart, Brown and Tatum as a core, you're almost all the way to having a truly great defense. Why spring leaks to get a shooter?