Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413208 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1410 on: April 24, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This show is pretty smart. Use the first two episodes of the final season to get everyone settled back into the world and re-establish some emotional bonds before what I imagine is going to be a 90-minute fight scene next week. The pacing of the storytelling by spacing out the episodes this way should give the big expensive battle some real heft.

And it's nice to see Arya get some. She's really having it at right now.

I think they “kill off” Arya. Only to have Tyrion or Jamie or someone rip of their face and come back as her and kill Cersei. She needs to use that power in a meaningful way to complete her story.

That would be almost exactly what she did with Frey. Can't see them repeating themselves like that.

But I do think she will need to use a face for something meaningful, but probably against the Night King.

Who could she impersonate that would possibly matter to the Night King though? He just wants to kill everybody and doesn't play favorites, aside from Bran who has the mark so he won't be fooled. Jon Snow, I guess, to let the real Jon sneak off and do something important?

Doesn't the person have to be dead for her to take their face?
Could she take a white walker's face?!?!?!?

Maybe but there's no real way to get it from them, every one that's been killed has disintegrated. And I don't see it fooling the Night King either, they seem to have a psychic connection of sorts.

After last episode I'd guess if Nights King isn't at Winterfell he would go after the Citadel not Kings landing.

Ooh that is really interesting, and they'd be a far easier target than Kings' Landing.  Biggest problem I see from a show perspective is no characters of any importance are there, it's a better strategic fit than narrative one.

« Reply #1411 on: April 24, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
What's wild is that with a dragon the Night King could go zipping off anywhere in Westeros and easily start a second army from scratch. Which means he probably won't do that.

« Reply #1412 on: April 24, 2019, 04:34:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What's wild is that with a dragon the Night King could go zipping off anywhere in Westeros and easily start a second army from scratch. Which means he probably won't do that.
excellent point -- provided that the dragon didn't incinerate the people it killed which is what happened to everyone else the dragons burned.

« Reply #1413 on: April 24, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
excellent point -- provided that the dragon didn't incinerate the people it killed which is what happened to everyone else the dragons burned.

While he could start a separate army of wights, it wouldn't result in a growing army unless he stuck around for an extended period.  Wherever the night king is, it's like a snowball rolling down a hill gaining size based upon how many people he rolls over.  Once he leaves, the 'raise dead' ability would likely leave that army too.  Granted, the remaining wights could certainly wreck havoc on wherever they are.

It'd probably be too risky for him to fly directly into kings landing alone, but that would be a fertile city to start an army.  Probably his best move would be to fly into a corner of King's Landing with a few white walker generals and start from there.  It's fun to theorize if you were him.

Normally I get a bit irked by stupid character behavior, but with the night king I'm not too bothered b/c he represents death - a slow and unstoppable lineal force.  Death doesn't strategize, it just keeps on rolling.

« Reply #1414 on: April 24, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
After last episode I'd guess if Nights King isn't at Winterfell he would go after the Citadel not Kings landing.
hmm, that would be a sensible, unexpected twist but if his prime target was Bran, wouldn't it make more sense for him to be part of the attack at Winterfell?   if NK did go to the citadel, it would prevent anyone at Winterfell from joining his army after they're killed and also leave the Starks in the crypt instead of joining the fight
My thought is he will want to burn it down and it's a soft target but still it's the second biggest target he should want based on eps 2 Bran's explanation.

« Reply #1415 on: April 24, 2019, 06:42:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

And he was conspicuously absent from that final shot of the episode.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1416 on: April 24, 2019, 06:53:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The one thing I'm wondering, regardless if they win the battle or not, is how the main characters and others who survive are even going to leave/escape Winterfell. I doubt even if they win the battle that they'll kill ALL the wights + there's the whole "raise the dead" aspect of things. Are they all hopping on a dragon and going somewhere else?  :P

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1417 on: April 24, 2019, 07:23:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The one thing I'm wondering, regardless if they win the battle or not, is how the main characters and others who survive are even going to leave/escape Winterfell. I doubt even if they win the battle that they'll kill ALL the wights + there's the whole "raise the dead" aspect of things. Are they all hopping on a dragon and going somewhere else?  :P

Probably a heroic sacrifice by some part of the army (e.g. Brienne and Jaime's contingent) to hold off the dead long enough for the others to escape.

One thing I think we've seen clearly with the wights is they don't move especially quickly, at least as a whole.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1418 on: April 24, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

And he was conspicuously absent from that final shot of the episode.

I hadn't thought of that but yeah, realistically if the Night King were going for the most optimal strategy, he'd distract the human armies with his big land army and then just fly around Westeros taking out entire villages and raising the dead.

Perhaps there's some limitation on how far he can be from the wights he's raised that would prevent that.

I know a lot of people are thinking maybe the Night King will fly to King's Landing and wreak havoc there while his army fights at Winterfell.  That would be a smart move.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1419 on: April 24, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Except, does the Night King even have any knowledge of how Westeros is laid out, where the cities and people are and so forth? He has been beyond the Wall for thousands of years. Westeros changed in that time.

Has it been made known in the books or television shows whether the Night King gains the knowledge and memories of the dead he brings back?

« Reply #1420 on: April 24, 2019, 07:40:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Except, does the Night King even have any knowledge of how Westeros is laid out, where the cities and people are and so forth? He has been beyond the Wall for thousands of years. Westeros changed in that time.

Has it been made known in the books or television shows whether the Night King gains the knowledge and memories of the dead he brings back?

It can't be too hard to find a map, or for that matter, to fly along the coast or a river until you see a city on the horizon.

« Reply #1421 on: April 24, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

The "plan", so far as there is one, is to kill the Night King. If he falls, they're hoping the wights and walkers he raised will go down with him.

The wights have moved pretty fast on a few occasions. When they were chasing Bran down the tunnel and Hodor had to hold the door; then after when they were tracking him. At Hardhome, the same, and then later when Jon and the little wight-hunting party were being chased the wights seemed to be going at least as fast as they were. Remember zombie bear?

It's true that the white walkers have moved very deliberately, but I'm not sure why that is. Seems mostly to emphasize how badass they are; they are coming for you and there's not a thing you can do about it.

« Reply #1422 on: April 24, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It can't be too hard to find a map, or for that matter, to fly along the coast or a river until you see a city on the horizon.
Most of the North is at Winterfell. There isn't much around for the Night King to increase his strength. He would have to fly a long long way to the Vale to find great numbers of people.

A map? That could explain knowing where to go. So could capturing people alive and turturing people for info. Umbar boy being an example.

I think the Night King needs to bring the winter with him and is just going to plod his way South killing everything in his way. I think he needs the winter weather to succeed, so moves south slowly as winter grips the south in colder, snowier weather.

« Reply #1423 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm pretty darn sure that when Bran speaks we should listen.  In other words, the Night King is going for Bran.  He isn't going anywhere else until he gets Bran.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1424 on: April 24, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I mean it can always just knock down buildings, hit them with its tail, step on em, etc. The Night King can just take them out himself if he's sure they have no obsidian or Valyrian steel. He'd be creative.

Normally I get a bit irked by stupid character behavior, but with the night king I'm not too bothered b/c he represents death - a slow and unstoppable lineal force.  Death doesn't strategize, it just keeps on rolling.

I like this idea. Death can be quick but never hurries and it has no need to strategize because it will always get you sooner or later.  That said I think we will see the Night King at least using tactics of some kind even if it's sneaking into the crypts or whatever.