Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 396536 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #1560 on: January 23, 2020, 03:19:49 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'm already looking forward to the 2020-21 NBA All-Star game - wherever it may be.

These two dudes will make BEAUTIFUL basketball music together for that game.

We already know what we have with Luka - a Generational Talent.

I really believe that we could be looking at the same thing with Zion.....I know it's just one game, but the Court Vision...the skill...the talent.....BBALL IQ....

This is not even mentioning the ELEPHANT in the room in his sheer size and physical strength. He is going to MOVE many tons of basketball player out of his way (and NOH's) over the next 15-20 years.

Really, really HAPPY for Zion (and Luka). Both of these players have great coaches AND a solid organization around them. Couldn't always say that with NOH but beyond Gentry (whom is a quality coach) they NOW have Griffin.

DAL and NOH is set...especially NOH - they have LAL's future in their back pockets LOL...............

Let's get that 8th spot for the post season, NOH!!

Are the foreign born players the best players in the league going forward? Greek freak, Luka, Zion, ...
Also guys like Embiid, Jokic & KAT! So many non-US guys killing it
KAT was born and raised in New Jersey.
Whoops, thought he was only Dominican.
His mother is Dominican which allowed him to play for their team. 

« Reply #1561 on: January 23, 2020, 03:22:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm already looking forward to the 2020-21 NBA All-Star game - wherever it may be.

I really believe that we could be looking at the same thing with Zion.....I know it's just one game, but the Court Vision...the skill...the talent.....BBALL IQ....

This is not even mentioning the ELEPHANT in the room in his sheer size and physical strength. He is going to MOVE many tons of basketball player out of his way (and NOH's) over the next 15-20 years.

Really, really HAPPY for Zion (and Luka). Both of these players have great coaches AND a solid organization around them. Couldn't always say that with NOH but beyond Gentry (whom is a quality coach) they NOW have Griffin.

DAL and NOH is set...especially NOH - they have LAL's future in their back pockets LOL...............

Are the foreign born players the best players in the league going forward? Greek freak, Luka, Zion, ...
Yeah, I knew I was remembering something. Ah well, the other two are still non-American!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1562 on: January 23, 2020, 03:26:18 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yeah, I knew I was remembering something. Ah well, the other two are still non-American!
You can add Siakam to the list. 

« Reply #1563 on: January 23, 2020, 03:46:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Id really like to see world vs USA in the Allstar game. That way teams have identities, not just this vanilla east-west thing.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1564 on: January 23, 2020, 03:58:12 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Id really like to see world vs USA in the Allstar game. That way teams have identities, not just this vanilla east-west thing.
That's what they do in the rookie/sophomore game.  The allstar game isn't east-west anymore.  Top 2 vote getters pick their teams. 

« Reply #1565 on: January 23, 2020, 09:18:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The league if finally diverse enough that they could maybe do US vs. the World and come out ok, but it would change the way they vote for All Stars and I don't think they want to do that.  It also might mean a few much lesser players make the team over much better players, which would be very problematic.  This is true because while the World is stacked with big men (Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Siakam, Porzingis, Gobert, Towns, Ayton, and several others including Sabonis who might make the team as Indiana's sole rep) outside of Doncic, Simmons, Murray, SGA, and Hield there aren't many guards or wings worthy of even being considered for the All Star team (and to be clear Doncic is the only one that is a clear all star).  I mean are you putting guys like Dragic, Ingles, Rubio, Bogdanovic, and Wiggins on an all star team (or some much lesser American big man because you need someone on the team while leaving off some pretty solid world big guys).  Maybe when (and if) guys like Barrett, Markannan, Anunoby, etc. hit their full potential it might make more sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1566 on: January 23, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Zach Lowe just had Young in over Tatum on his all-star team. I"m so very mad about him getting in over Tatum/Brown even when it hasn't happened yet. (and might not happen given coaches vote reserves)

I'd be somewhat less mad about Beal, and even more mad about Lavine.  >:( >:( >:(

Because when you can get the offensive engine of the second worst offense in the league in the all-star game you have to do it.  >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #1567 on: January 23, 2020, 10:08:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Zach Lowe just had Young in over Tatum on his all-star team. I"m so very mad about him getting in over Tatum/Brown even when it hasn't happened yet. (and might not happen given coaches vote reserves)

I'd be somewhat less mad about Beal, and even more mad about Lavine.  >:( >:( >:(

Because when you can get the offensive engine of the second worst offense in the league in the all-star game you have to do it.  >:( >:( >:(
Hard to be mad when Young is so statistically brilliant.  I mean 29.2 p, 8.6 a, 4.7 r, 1.2 s with a TS% of 59.4.  Obviously a sieve on defense, but offense is just so much more important and Young is absolutely a brilliant offensive player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1568 on: January 23, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Philly reportedly after Bogdon from the Kings.

I'm gonna put 2 and 2 together, remembering that the Kings were interested in Horford in the off-season. Plus, I can't see the Kings wanting Mike Scott and a prospect, or Josh Richardson back. I could be wrong.

The Kings also want to trade Dedmon.

Altogether, that is Bogdon, Dedmon, and Justin James for Al Horford.

Makes the Kings better, even if it is short-sighted for them. It makes Philly worse. Even though I like Bogdon, that team doesn't scare me as much as one with Horford.

« Reply #1569 on: January 23, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Hard to be mad when Young is so statistically brilliant.  I mean 29.2 p, 8.6 a, 4.7 r, 1.2 s with a TS% of 59.4.  Obviously a sieve on defense, but offense is just so much more important and Young is absolutely a brilliant offensive player.
I really don't understand this take when you've been pumping up Tatum due to his excellence in the +/- family of metrics, they mostly agree that offence isn't that much more valuable than defence (it's more valuable than defence, but the gap is like 6 points to 5 according to RAPM), ntm that a big argument for Tatum being an All-Star calibre wing this season is his incredible defensive +/- stats in a free safety role.

But yes I think Young is good enough to make the All-Star team, he's one of the best non MVP PGs on offence right now imo (strong box and non-box stats to go along with positive stuff from the eye test) and that helps him grade out as an All-Star (albeit borderline due to how much his defence sucks) in my eyes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:03:59 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1570 on: January 23, 2020, 10:58:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Philly reportedly after Bogdon from the Kings.

I'm gonna put 2 and 2 together, remembering that the Kings were interested in Horford in the off-season. Plus, I can't see the Kings wanting Mike Scott and a prospect, or Josh Richardson back. I could be wrong.

The Kings also want to trade Dedmon.

Altogether, that is Bogdon, Dedmon, and Justin James for Al Horford.

Makes the Kings better, even if it is short-sighted for them. It makes Philly worse. Even though I like Bogdon, that team doesn't scare me as much as one with Horford.

Everyone seems to be after Bogdan, his name gets tossed around a lot.

I really hope they don't flip Horford for that package or anything like it, both for condemning Al to a lousy to mediocre team and for immediately getting out from under that sketchy contract.

« Reply #1571 on: January 23, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

To be fair Trae's supporting cast is 06/07 Timberwolves level bad on offence, they can't space the floor at all and have very little creation skills. I do think that Tatum should be in front of Trae in the All-Star selection though, he's been a really good two way wing this season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1572 on: January 23, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If the Kings aren't willing to pay Bogdan in RFA, why would they sign up to pay Horford?

I feel like if they're going to move him they will want a piece that could fit with Heild/Fox/Bagley and their timeline.

But..... KANGZ gonna KANGZ!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:10:32 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #1573 on: January 23, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Philly created another monster with Al's overpay.

Embiid out he should be playing like a fiend ....20/12 for that money at least.

« Reply #1574 on: January 23, 2020, 11:20:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Somebody:

Past offensive only all-stars on bad teams usually at least had their teams scoring at a good rate overall. Trae isn't doing that.

James Harden style shot selection and ball dominance (he is a willing passer but he absolutely dominates the ball in a massive way), but without the team success on offense or any winning isn't something I want to see rewarded with all-star status.

Everyone responds to that argument, well if he had help he'd have more team success, somewhat less numbers, etc, etc... Okay? Lets actually see it?

All of this is aggravated by my disdain about him screaming at the FO/Coaches to get more help as a second year player on a young team. Combine that with his utter indifference to defense, he's always going to be a liability but his effort is not there. You're the leader of the team and setting the tone of not trying and yelling your teammates aren't any good in a public place is crappy leadership.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:34:05 AM by Fafnir »