Author Topic: I hope YOU never forget this draft as a Celtics fan  (Read 4799 times)

Re: I hope YOU never forget this draft as a Celtics fan
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Do we ever forget a draft around here? 

Meanwhile, I will continue to believe that the Celtics front office still know a lot more about the prospects and what constitutes a good trade then impatient fans.

Appeal to authority fallacy here is strong

Trusting the group that has created a title over impatient fans is always the better gamble.

If I have Garnett, Paul, and Ray...I'll would've created a title as well.  Hell, I would've created two because I wouldn't have traded Perkins.
This is terrific.

I like the second sentence almost as much, where a hobbled Perk who was never close to the same player again somehow gets us 11 more playoff wins and heals Rondo's elbow.

Between this and an earlier thread we're up to at least 2 bonus championships over Danny from a backseat GM poster - can anyone guarantee us 3?  This is important.

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2016, 12:15:07 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
I said on that day that Celtics fans would be the last to see the magnitude of what just happened to them (it's like when Ogaju was the only one around here who saw Doc's debacle coming).  But don't take this as a "gotcha" or "I told you so" thread because it's not.  If anything, I'm still saddened about how the whole thing unfolded.  If nothing happened in free agency (and it is looking like nothing will happen), we would've taken the satisfaction of nailing Jimmy Buttler or Okafor or Nerlens or Okafor and Nerlenes.  That would've have been huge to build on going forward. 

My prediction is what happened (or didn't happen) at the draft will impact the team for years.  Any trade that would net us any decent star would now cost us a arm and a leg.  That price Ainge didn't want to pay is now be doubled.  The value put on all the picks we have/had and our "assets" were extremely overrated.  And instead of cashing in to actually get some value for it, we snoozed.  Stop giving Danny Ainge a pass.  He's getting paid millions of dollars to get results, not to play head games.

They got stuck with the 3rd pick in a two player draft.  Everything that happened flowed from that.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I would rather sign nobody than give someone like Beal or Batum $100+M.

I can live with another 47-53 win entertaining season and try again next year.

Exactly. We can't make people want to come here(unless its a trade), can't make players just sign(it's not Y2K). But the Wizards and Hornets signing Beal and Batum doesn't move the needled for them, keeps them in place.

Ownership said they will spend money on players that are worth it, that move the needle. So why do it just for the sake of doing it. Why not if KD and Horford fails, sign guys like Amir to the 1-1 contract until they can either get moved or a better prospect in FA bites.

If KD goes back to OKC for one year, you try to sign Horford, and give Howard a 1-1 deal. Make a push for the playoffs and try to get the 2017 class attention. Or trade Howard for a player like Cousins who has had it with their team.

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2016, 12:44:32 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Let's wait till FA is wrapped up first.  I believe we'll know if we signed any big names by July 7th at the latest.

Looking at the history of #3 overall NBA picks, it's not bad at all.  A lot of all-stars and a few notable hall of famers including Michael Jordan, our own Kevin McHale, and Dominique Wilkins.

Year Player Drafted From Drafted By
2013 Otto Porter  Georgetown Washington
2012 Bradley Beal  Florida Washington
2011 Enes Kanter  Kentucky Utah
2010 Derrick Favors  Georgia Tech  New Jersey 
2009 James Harden  Arizona State  Oklahoma
2008 O.J. Mayo USC Minnesota
2007 Al Horford Florida Atlanta
2006 Adam Morrison Gonzaga Portland
2005 Deron Williams Illinois Jr. Utah
2004 Ben Gordon UConn Jr. Chicago
2003 Carmelo Anthony Syracuse Fr. Denver
2002 Mike Dunleavy Duke Jr. Golden State
2001 Pau Gasol Spain Memphis
2000 Darius Miles HSSr. LA Clippers
1999 Baron Davis UCLA So. NO Hornets
1998 Raef LaFrentz  Kansas  Denver
1997 Chauncey Billups Colorado Boston
1996 Shareef Abdur-Rahim  California  Vancouver
1995 Jerry Stackhouse  North Carolina  Philadelphia
1994 Grant Hill  Duke  Detroit
1993 Anfernee Hardaway  MemphisState  Golden State
1992 Christian Laettner  Duke  Minnesota
1991 Billy Owens  Syracuse  Sacramento
1990 Chris Jackson  Louisiana State  Denver
1989 Sean Elliott Arizona San Antonio
1988 Charles Smith Pittsburgh Philadelphia
1987 Dennis Hopson Ohio State New Jersey
1986 Chris Washburn North Carolina State Golden State
1985 Benoit Benjamin Creighton LA Clippers
1984 Michael Jordan North Carolina Chicago
1983 Rodney McCray Louisville Houston
1982 Dominique Wilkins Georgia Utah
1981 Buck Williams Maryland New Jersey
1980 Kevin McHale Minnesota Boston
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:52:55 PM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't really get why everyone thinks "if we don't overpay for a fringe all star" that we have sunk the ship for years to come. Granted everyone wants durant. But if you don't get him that can't be held against ainge.

If you looked at this offseason as needing fireworks, then yea it's a problem.

You can also look at it like this. This team won 48 games last year. When everyone tried to commit highway robbery on ainge, he didn't fold to pressure and drafted arguably one of the highest upside players in the draft. Will he be a bust? Maybe. So might all the other picks.

Then to free agency. Unless we get durant, I will pass on handing a max to horford. Regressing each year, partially because he is moving out of the paint. If we can nab a Howard for 4 years at 22 instead of 4 years of horford at 30, I'd be ecstatic. We will fill one of our biggest weaknesses (rim protection, inside scoring, rebounding in one) without giving up any assets.

These two moves alone would be awesome. We win over 50 next year, while bringing jaylen up in a winning environment. Work towards the future while retaining flexibility. It's honestly brilliant.

I think much of Ainge's lack of recent success in trades can be due to the fact he made a king's offer for pick #9 in last year's draft. The league most likely saw Ainge as desperate and willing to overpay. Also in this year's draft, teams picking around Jaylen's projected spot knew we Ainge didn't want any of guards knowing we are pretty much stacked at that spot...

I keep wondering about the possible trades would he had taken Dunn
Ainge's lack of success in recent trades? Making brilliant trades is what Ainge does best. Dont be upset that his trades didnt happen at last years trade deadline or on draft night. If he didnt trade during those times it was because he didnt feel the trades being offered would be worth it in the long run for this team. His track record is that when he does make trades, he makes tremendous trades that help this team for years.
I think the #3 for Okafor was on the table the whole time and DA didn't pull on it. I thought because he was thinking Ingram falls or LAL trade for Buddy Hield.

Your right we need a homegrown STAR. Okafor should have been it(maybe we can still grab him) considering his size and length and age and how he is the best low-post scorer to come out of the draft in almost a decade.
Instead people here are so focused on noel but NBA trends change thats why they are trends.
Okafor has much more potential than people think and he would have been a steal. I've been saying it for 2 years, but this team is worth way more split up than it is together, unless your not into championships and really enjoy so-so regular seasons and early playoff exits.
Thinking the #3 was on the board the whole time and it actually being on the board the whole time is two different things. I would love to see a reliable source that says our pick was in play for Okafor during the week before the draft.

If nothing was done, nothing was done. People need to stop dreaming up scenarios that were on the table for Ainge to make that were probably never there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:02:06 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I don't really get why everyone thinks "if we don't overpay for a fringe all star" that we have sunk the ship for years to come. Granted everyone wants durant. But if you don't get him that can't be held against ainge.

If you looked at this offseason as needing fireworks, then yea it's a problem.

You can also look at it like this. This team won 48 games last year. When everyone tried to commit highway robbery on ainge, he didn't fold to pressure and drafted arguably one of the highest upside players in the draft. Will he be a bust? Maybe. So might all the other picks.

Then to free agency. Unless we get durant, I will pass on handing a max to horford. Regressing each year, partially because he is moving out of the paint. If we can nab a Howard for 4 years at 22 instead of 4 years of horford at 30, I'd be ecstatic. We will fill one of our biggest weaknesses (rim protection, inside scoring, rebounding in one) without giving up any assets.

These two moves alone would be awesome. We win over 50 next year, while bringing jaylen up in a winning environment. Work towards the future while retaining flexibility. It's honestly brilliant.

I think much of Ainge's lack of recent success in trades can be due to the fact he made a king's offer for pick #9 in last year's draft. The league most likely saw Ainge as desperate and willing to overpay. Also in this year's draft, teams picking around Jaylen's projected spot knew we Ainge didn't want any of guards knowing we are pretty much stacked at that spot...

I keep wondering about the possible trades would he had taken Dunn
Ainge's lack of success in recent trades? Making brilliant trades is what Ainge does best. Dont be upset that his trades didnt happen at last years trade deadline or on draft night. If he didnt trade during those times it was because he didnt feel the trades being offered would be worth it in the long run for this team. His track record is that when he does make trades, he makes tremendous trades that help this team for years.
I think the #3 for Okafor was on the table the whole time and DA didn't pull on it. I thought because he was thinking Ingram falls or LAL trade for Buddy Hield.

Your right we need a homegrown STAR. Okafor should have been it(maybe we can still grab him) considering his size and length and age and how he is the best low-post scorer to come out of the draft in almost a decade.
Instead people here are so focused on noel but NBA trends change thats why they are trends.
Okafor has much more potential than people think and he would have been a steal. I've been saying it for 2 years, but this team is worth way more split up than it is together, unless your not into championships and really enjoy so-so regular seasons and early playoff exits.
Thinking the #3 was on the board the whole time and it a tually being on the board the whole time is two different things. I would love to see a reliable source that says our pick was in play for Okafor during the week before the draft.

If nothing was done, nothing was done. People need to stop dreaming up scenarios that were on the table for Ainge to make that were probably never there.

This is so accurate.

Wanting something to be and making it happen are two entirely different things.
You need two parties to make a deal. If the deal didn't suit DA and the Celtics interests then he is right to decline.

Fans who like they have better info and analysis then the highly skilled professionals employed by the team aught to check themselves.
 If you don't have a brain trust scouting players, crunching numbers and running scenarios, and another brain trust at the negotiating table hammering out deals, than you are likely underinformed and not qualified to make multi million dollar deals for a professional basketball team.

Flawed data, flawed reasoning, flawed results.

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'll never forget how Celtics Bloggers are such drama queens 🙄