Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 6441 times)

Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 08:08:50 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
My wife and kids wanna watch Lord of the Rings. They've all read the hobbit. I've read all the books numerous times, and seen all the movies except maybe 2nd Hobbitt.

Which movie should I start with? Fellowship or Hobbitt?

As I die hard Tolkien fan, a massive Wingnut films man, and someone who recently shared the world of Tolkien with my daughter....Just do the LOTR trilogy and if they all want more then do the hobbit.

Jackson made 1 3 hour movie per book of the LOTR trilogy yet decided to make a trilogy out of the Hobbit which is the simplest and least in depth of all the books.

The Hobbit moves too slowly and there is ALOT of "poetic License" with the story telling itself.
He took from other books to make Hobbit, so it wasn't all poetic license.

I really liked that aspect of the Hobbit series, because there was lots of stuff taking place "behind the scenes" that was revealed in other Tolkien writings.

As far as the Tolkien Amazon series, I heard a couple months ago that the creators wanted to make it more "adult" like Game of Thrones, and I'm not down with that at all. Tolkien, as a devout Catholic, would never go for that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 08:50:02 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
You could read "The Hobbit" with them first...but these guys are right on this thread...the Hobbit movies were good, but not that good.

Fellowship.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Fellowship and the original trio. Read the Hobbit, watch the first trilogy.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 10:21:56 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
My wife and kids wanna watch Lord of the Rings. They've all read the hobbit. I've read all the books numerous times, and seen all the movies except maybe 2nd Hobbitt.

Which movie should I start with? Fellowship or Hobbitt?

As I die hard Tolkien fan, a massive Wingnut films man, and someone who recently shared the world of Tolkien with my daughter....Just do the LOTR trilogy and if they all want more then do the hobbit.

Jackson made 1 3 hour movie per book of the LOTR trilogy yet decided to make a trilogy out of the Hobbit which is the simplest and least in depth of all the books.

The Hobbit moves too slowly and there is ALOT of "poetic License" with the story telling itself.
He took from other books to make Hobbit, so it wasn't all poetic license.

Yeah  i do have them all. But there still wasnt enough to fill 9 hours of movie.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 10:40:08 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Forgot how long Fellowship is! Wife couldn't last, fell asleep. 12 yr old got sleepy too. 15 yr old could not be denied finishing it.

Good movie. Well done adaptation and awesome scenery. Love the part in Moria.

We read the Hobbitt out loud a couple years ago but I think kids should read it again.

Thanks again for all ur input...glad to see you guys could will the Celts to victory without me!

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2021, 12:20:42 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Forgot how long Fellowship is! Wife couldn't last, fell asleep. 12 yr old got sleepy too. 15 yr old could not be denied finishing it.

Good movie. Well done adaptation and awesome scenery. Love the part in Moria.

We read the Hobbitt out loud a couple years ago but I think kids should read it again.

Thanks again for all ur input...glad to see you guys could will the Celts to victory without me!

I'm glad it went pretty well! I can't blame your wife and 12-year-old for falling asleep, as 3 hours movies can be hard to stick with, no matter how good they are. Did you watch the extended version?

Yeah, the Moria stuff is cool. My favorite part of the movie is when the four Hobbits are fleeing the Black Riders at night and have to wait out a long night at the Prancing Pony.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Side note.... Has anyone heard anything on the Amazon series being made that’s supposed to be a prequel to the LOTR?

This year release supposedly. It is a prequel.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-explained-plot-cast/

Tp. Thanks for the info. Hopefully they do a good job with it.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Side note.... Has anyone heard anything on the Amazon series being made that’s supposed to be a prequel to the LOTR?

Yes, that will be set during the Second Age and I believe will culminate with the Last Alliance.  I would bet that the main plot line will surround the events that lead to the crafting of the Rings of Power.  Here is a pretty good overview of what is/isn't known about it:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-series/
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I wasn’t a fan of this Trilogy.  Just didn’t t feel the stakes for the characters. But I thought it was basically a great hack and slash spectacle. I like a bit more drama. But that’s maybe just my subjective take that I didn’t  feel that.
  I love the sword/ fantasy genre. I don’t expect everything to be GOT level but like a better, more dramatic Clash of the Titans. That was another missed opportunity for the genre I thought. Lot of good ideas but again no drama.

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 07:35:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wasn’t a fan of this Trilogy.  Just didn’t t feel the stakes for the characters. But I thought it was basically a great hack and slash spectacle. I like a bit more drama. But that’s maybe just my subjective take that I didn’t  feel that.
  I love the sword/ fantasy genre. I don’t expect everything to be GOT level but like a better, more dramatic Clash of the Titans. That was another missed opportunity for the genre I thought. Lot of good ideas but again no drama.
Wow
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2021, 08:16:42 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618

Interesting and Different take. TP

Rewatching the first Movie, I was actually surprised how few fight scenes there were. I dont think there is one in the first hour. And I only count three real heavy action scenes. Fighting off ringvwraithhs on top the hill before the flight to Rivendale, The mines of Moria (which is a ton of action) and the when Urikai Orcs split up the fellow ship.

And I agree uts definitely not GOT drama but you do get a real sense if the dread of Frodo. His character is really well done, hated Frodo in the books, but the movie gives him depth. But would say that it is more slow than dramatic, if that makes sense.

Have u read the books?

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2021, 08:38:58 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Yes, that will be set during the Second Age and I believe will culminate with the Last Alliance.  I would bet that the main plot line will surround the events that lead to the crafting of the Rings of Power.  Here is a pretty good overview of what is/isn't known about it:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-series/

Nice. Tp
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 04:36:49 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Didn’t really enjoy the Hobbit movies, and it seemed like each movie got progressively worse.

Unlike the LotR movies where I loved them all and the movies got better and better.
- LilRip

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Didn’t really enjoy the Hobbit movies, and it seemed like each movie got progressively worse.

Unlike the LotR movies where I loved them all and the movies got better and better.
I liked the first movie in each series more then the following ones. So 1st LOTR and 1st Hobbit were great in my view. Guess once they establish things I get bord story wise.

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I liked the first movie in each series more then the following ones. So 1st LOTR and 1st Hobbit were great in my view. Guess once they establish things I get bord story wise.

I tried to embrace the Hobbit movies as our last chance to visually step into that world.  But the stories were not great, and they strayed so far from the plot and feel of the whimsical little tale that the book was, that they shouldn't have even used the name.

That said, I loved every minute of the LOT trilogy movies.  I have the extended DVDs (haven't watched them in years though).

I did truly love stepping into that world, and Jackson did an amazing job of capturing the feel. 

I loved the Ents the most I think.  Such cool characters.

I was always curious how they could have used Tom Bombadil.  He was a pretty colorful character from the books who didn't make it into the movies. 
Yup