Author Topic: How can Danny possibly keep James Young in this roster?  (Read 20842 times)

Re: How can Danny possibly keep James Young in this roster?
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2015, 08:16:30 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
James Young turned 20 this summer
I thought he was 13 when he was at Kentucky. ;)

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
This preseason James Young's FG% is a very respectable 46.2 and a scorching hot 62.5 3PT%.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
He is just a child who started walking.... keeper... worked his body... plays better defence... shoots better now... why trade him? We have not watched wven 5% of his talent

I agree with most of what you say.  Not sure about the 5% comment.  We'll have to wait and see.  Seems a lot of folks in this group are still thinking of James Young of last year.

No ones been talking about how much better he's looked. His defense has always been his biggest question mark, and he's improving markedly at it. I've noticed it since SL but it's been noticeable the last few games. Scal talked some about it the other night, he seems to have lost that "deer in the headlights" look he had, and his awareness has looked much improved over last year. Nevermind his body. He did great work on his body this summer, he's big enough to realistically play some minutes at the 3.

The offensive skills are there, his biggest question marks have always been about defense, work ethic and awareness. He's really improving those right now, his shots finally started falling a little bit and if the whole package starts to come together he could really be valuable to this team. As long as he's improving on his defense and work ethic (which I think he undeniably has) then he can become something in this league. I've said it before, maybe getting drafted on the same team as Marcus Smart will really help his career. Well have to see.

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2015, 09:39:13 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
He is just a child who started walking.... keeper... worked his body... plays better defence... shoots better now... why trade him? We have not watched wven 5% of his talent

I agree with most of what you say.  Not sure about the 5% comment.  We'll have to wait and see.  Seems a lot of folks in this group are still thinking of James Young of last year.

No ones been talking about how much better he's looked. His defense has always been his biggest question mark, and he's improving markedly at it. I've noticed it since SL but it's been noticeable the last few games. Scal talked some about it the other night, he seems to have lost that "deer in the headlights" look he had, and his awareness has looked much improved over last year. Nevermind his body. He did great work on his body this summer, he's big enough to realistically play some minutes at the 3.

The offensive skills are there, his biggest question marks have always been about defense, work ethic and awareness. He's really improving those right now, his shots finally started falling a little bit and if the whole package starts to come together he could really be valuable to this team. As long as he's improving on his defense and work ethic (which I think he undeniably has) then he can become something in this league. I've said it before, maybe getting drafted on the same team as Marcus Smart will really help his career. Well have to see.

To further these points, it's not where a player starts at, it's that he works hard to improve each season. The biggest complaint on Sully is that he's never really improved his game and it took him until this past summer to get into shape.

James young had a disappointing rookie season, but from all indications, he worked hard to put on muscle & build his game. This isn't completely apparent yet b/c of his injury during summer league and sparse preseason PT, but Boston fans love guys who work hard. I expect that the Young will get more PT as the season goes on and fan will come around on him.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I love the slogan or catch phrase, Smart and Young.

I really do think Smart and Young could be our future back court if any of them reach near their potential.

People have said countless times, to cut Young, and keep Perry Jones. And I think to myself, 'why?'

Jones has been in the league for 3 years, and Young has only been in the league for one. Jones hasn't done anything to prove himself, so you keep Young.

Why get rid of a pick like that so easily? At least give Young the decency to at least finish one full year before throwing him under the bus. People are so quick to judge, and not at least give some projects that Ainge has even stated himself were, many times.

I'm a huge fan of Young. I'm hoping for the best. People compare him to JR Smith, Klay Thompson, Michael Redd, and even Nick Young. Whatever!

Give him SOME time. Be PATIENT. You never know what you may get. And if he becomes a Gerald Green, then oh well, right? Who knows.

How can people possibly believe someone like James Young shouldn't still be on the roster?

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I love the slogan or catch phrase, Smart and Young.

I really do think Smart and Young could be our future back court if any of them reach near their potential.

People have said countless times, to cut Young, and keep Perry Jones. And I think to myself, 'why?'

Jones has been in the league for 3 years, and Young has only been in the league for one. Jones hasn't done anything to prove himself, so you keep Young.

Why get rid of a pick like that so easily? At least give Young the decency to at least finish one full year before throwing him under the bus. People are so quick to judge, and not at least give some projects that Ainge has even stated himself were, many times.

I'm a huge fan of Young. I'm hoping for the best. People compare him to JR Smith, Klay Thompson, Michael Redd, and even Nick Young. Whatever!

Give him SOME time. Be PATIENT. You never know what you may get. And if he becomes a Gerald Green, then oh well, right? Who knows.

How can people possibly believe someone like James Young shouldn't still be on the roster?
I don't know. He has a beautiful stroke. Him being around Hunter will help. Lee is going to have some high asset totals for sure if he can get a double team in the post.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Most of the minutes Young is getting are against backups and players who may not even make the NBA. Also, he hasn't shown, during preseason, he has much more to his game other then catch and shoot. He did finally put the ball on the floor but got called for a charge. I suppose that's progress for him.

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2015, 02:10:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Would be cool if he'd grow couple more inches ...be the size of Paul George

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
In cbs i trust

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »

Offline Birdsmoke

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I really want James Young to succeed in Boston. He seems like a good kid, and his teammates seem to like him too - so he must be trying hard behind the scenes. I still believe in his potential, though admittedly it's painful at times to watch him struggle. But I still hope he stays around.

Most of his problems seem mental to me. A couple of years can really make a big difference regarding mental maturity. If/when he gets more comfortable, hopefully during this season, the tools and skill are there.