Author Topic: Boston is Smoove's Top Destination?  (Read 14058 times)

Re: Boston is Smoove's Top Destination?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 12:48:38 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
You guys are crazy if you don't want josh smith. Now if we're talking max contract then no but if he comes for a discount of course you take him.

Josh Smith is a player with a bad jump shot and a worse BBIQ. The thing he has going for him is freakish athleticism. He's going to turn 28 in the middle of next season. I really don't want to be the team paying 10 million plus to 33 year old Smith.

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 12:50:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No way I can see the Celtics trading for him this season.  They just don't have enough healthy players to make the salary work and still have enough guys to fill out the active roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
We can't get him as a free agent, meaning we would have to trade for him. But it would be virtually impossible to match salaries without including Pierce or Garnett. He makes a lot this season and the best we can do is Bass, Lee, Melo, picks and cash, and we wouldn't have a full squad after that.

Sign and trade in the offseason?

He isn't the best offensive player out there, but he is still an impact player.

But I'd consider this very unlikely.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Would love if he would make it public that he choice is Boston. That way teams don't even bother and we can either trade for him now or in the off-season.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 12:57:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think if KG and Pierce retire they will have more than enough to bring in J Smoove at about 10-12 MM if my math is correct. If he will play for that I say sign him up.

The lineup would be Rondo, Bradley, Green, Smith, Sullinger (I assume they would bring Sully off the bench and try to acquire a center some how).

Now is this a world beating lineup? Of course not. Would this team play very good defense, move the ball, get up and down the court and be a lot of fun to watch? Absolutely.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 12:59:02 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
You guys are crazy if you don't want josh smith. Now if we're talking max contract then no but if he comes for a discount of course you take him.

Josh Smith is a player with a bad jump shot and a worse BBIQ. The thing he has going for him is freakish athleticism. He's going to turn 28 in the middle of next season. I really don't want to be the team paying 10 million plus to 33 year old Smith.
I don't agree with the basketball IQ comment. Yes he does take some bad shots, but having a PF who is second on his team in assists to me is an indication of knowing where to move the ball, which shows at least a decent BBIQ.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 01:01:29 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
One possibility (kinda crazy) :

Bass, Terry, Sullinger, First
for
Smith

Sign two guards, one forward

Do our best this year, go out with a bang next year when Rondo is back and KG and Pierce are still relevant.

8-man rotation this year:
KG, Pierce, Smith, Green, Lee, Bradley, Wilcox, FA Guard

8-man rotation next year:
Rondo, KG, Pierce, Smith, Green, Lee, Bradley, FA

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 01:02:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
We can't get him as a free agent, meaning we would have to trade for him. But it would be virtually impossible to match salaries without including Pierce or Garnett. He makes a lot this season and the best we can do is Bass, Lee, Melo, picks and cash, and we wouldn't have a full squad after that.

I think we could perhaps sign him as a free agent, provided that KG and Pierce are off the books -- whether it's because of a trade, retirement, or (in Pierce's case) being waived.

Rondo - Bradley - Green - Smith - [whoever]

That's not the worst starting point for a competitive, team, but unless the "whoever" is a top 5 center, I'm not sure how that team does more than make it to the second round in any given season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 01:09:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I think we could perhaps sign him as a free agent, provided that KG and Pierce are off the books -- whether it's because of a trade, retirement, or (in Pierce's case) being waived.

Rondo - Bradley - Green - Smith - [whoever]

That's not the worst starting point for a competitive, team, but unless the "whoever" is a top 5 center, I'm not sure how that team does more than make it to the second round in any given season.
With that roster you would have to hope that several of the following happened.
1. Rondo steps up and plays like he did in the playoffs against Miami for the entire season.
2. That Bradley and Sullinger become very good starters.
3. That Green continues to show the agressiveness he has showed recently.
4. That Josh Smith buys into Doc's system and stops shooting long two's.
5. That Ainge is able to work his magic and get a few bargain draft picks in the middle of the draft.

These aren't likely by any means but if we go this route in the offseason I promise that I will be championing these ideas in a few months.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 01:12:29 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I don't agree with the basketball IQ comment. Yes he does take some bad shots, but having a PF who is second on his team in assists to me is an indication of knowing where to move the ball, which shows at least a decent BBIQ.

I like to compare him to Antoine Walker, a PF who once led his team in assists, in terms of being an obviously talented player who will drive fans crazy with questionable shot selection and bad decisions.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 01:14:31 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Not a fan, and sorta immature, but of course I want him here

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 01:35:37 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

I like to compare him to Antoine Walker, a PF who once led his team in assists, in terms of being an obviously talented player who will drive fans crazy with questionable shot selection and bad decisions.

Yup Antoine Walker Part II if ever he comes here. Then Rondo will be his Pierce Part II. Doc will be the Pitino and Doc will say "KG and Pierce ain't coming thru that Door"

;D
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 02:39:50 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Classic Gery Woelfel

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 04:53:16 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Jeff Green, Lee, 1st
for
Josh

KG retires next year
Paul is traded or bought out

Sign Dwight

Rondo, Josh and Dwight are all chums right?

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 05:05:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Jeff Green, Lee, 1st
for
Josh

KG retires next year
Paul is traded or bought out

Sign Dwight

Rondo, Josh and Dwight are all chums right?

There's pretty much no way to make the floor spacing and free throws work with those three.  You'd basically need JJ Redick and Kyle Korver as your wings, and Ryan Anderson and Matt Bonner off the bench.
- Mark Twain