Author Topic: If the Lakers are all in for Lebron (idea)  (Read 2240 times)

If the Lakers are all in for Lebron (idea)
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Bill Simmons tossed out the idea (seemed to be partially joking) that the Lakers could trade Ball to clear out the Deng. This and a Clarkson trade would give the Lakers a ton of Cap room to build a team around Lebron if he is really leaving this off-season.

As crazy as it sounds after giving it some thought I can see the logic.

I Lebron gives Magic word that he is on his way then a Ball trade makes sense. Lonzo isn't good enough for a contending team to want to deal with his father. He also is a poor fit with Lebron. Lonzo needs the ball in his hands to be effective without it he looses a ton of value on the court.

Trade idea

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7f4a7p3

Lakers trades: Lonzo Ball, Deng, Clarkson, and Randle

Lakers gets: Monroe, Belinelli, Ilyasova, Ulis, Suns 2018 1st, Minn 2019 1st (from ATL)

Suns trades: Monroe, Ullis, 2018 1st

Suns gets: Ball and Deng

ATL trades: Belinelli, Illyasova, Minn 2018 1st

ATL gets: Clarkson and Randle

Lakers, At first this looks like a terrible deal for the Lakers however it totally clears the way for Lebron to assemble his team. Its gives the Lakers a ton of cap space and two potential lottery picks in this years draft. Add that to Ingram, Kuzma and Nance and its not hard to see Lebron pulling two other stars to LA with him (cousins and george?) to take on the Warriors.

Suns, they gamble their pick on Ball and have to take on Dengs contract for a few years. In theory Ball and Booker should form a dynamic young backcourt for years to come.

ATL, they are able to broker a nice talent grab by adding 25 yr old Clarkson, 23 yr old Randle (who they would need to resign) to go along with their likely top 5 pick, Schroder (23), Collins (20), and Prince (23).

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: If the Lakers are all in for Lebron (idea)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Don't know if it is possible salary wise but a Lakers team of Lebron, George and Cousins with Kuzma and Nance still around would be fascinating.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lebron James will not make any decision until after the season (as he has done every single time), as such no trades will be made until the off season at which time some of the players you have being traded will be gone, making this a useless proposition. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Lebron James will not make any decision until after the season (as he has done every single time), as such no trades will be made until the off season at which time some of the players you have being traded will be gone, making this a useless proposition.

I think a lot of people believe Lebron knew he was going to Miami long before the offseason.

Since James’s announcement, rival teams and disenchanted fans have wondered whether the outcome was preordained. The players had spoken openly of convening a “free-agent summit” to discuss their plans, even before free agency formally opened. They conferred with each other throughout the process.

“I’m going to bring it up to the league, that we really do have to re-evaluate the issue of player tampering,” Mark Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks’ owner, told reporters here over the weekend.

The suspicions became more concrete Sunday, when The Cleveland Plain Dealer published a detailed narrative that traced the alliance back to 2006, when James, Wade and Bosh became teammates for USA Basketball. The article, based mostly on anonymous sources, referred to “a complex master plan that was the trio’s desire for much of the past four years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/sports/basketball/13nba.html

There is definitely a very good chance Lebron already knows what he is doing...

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Don't know if it is possible salary wise but a Lakers team of Lebron, George and Cousins with Kuzma and Nance still around would be fascinating.

Thats their fans current dream

and probably Magic s .....its the only combo they can get to vault them into instant contention that Magic has promised .

I hope they sign Boogie ......then Lebron and George don't sign.....that would be a riot .

If Cavs do retain LeWhine ,  IT might be a target of the Lakers .   That would be fun !

That front office is a Disney Production of buffoons.  If Im Lewhiner , That super mess of crap hole in LA ...thrown in Lavar ....to the mix .....and Luke a nice guy coach who wants to do things the right way at heart might be more than Lebron wants to deal with .  Unless winning doesn't matter as much as the money for piggy bank to buy a NBA team in the furure.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

True but the core idea of using Lonzo to dump Deng's salary could still happen in the off-season.

I also suspect Clarkson will be moved during the season while they still have Randle to add as a trade sweetener.

This can be broken down into two trades. LAL and ATL in season and LAL and Suns in the off-season. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 02:34:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think a lot of people believe Lebron knew he was going to Miami long before the offseason.

Since James’s announcement, rival teams and disenchanted fans have wondered whether the outcome was preordained. The players had spoken openly of convening a “free-agent summit” to discuss their plans, even before free agency formally opened. They conferred with each other throughout the process.

“I’m going to bring it up to the league, that we really do have to re-evaluate the issue of player tampering,” Mark Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks’ owner, told reporters here over the weekend.

The suspicions became more concrete Sunday, when The Cleveland Plain Dealer published a detailed narrative that traced the alliance back to 2006, when James, Wade and Bosh became teammates for USA Basketball. The article, based mostly on anonymous sources, referred to “a complex master plan that was the trio’s desire for much of the past four years.

Sure and if Chris Bosh would have agreed to a trade to Cleveland, James would have never left.  I have no doubt James, Wade, and Bosh discussed the possibility of playing together, but James absolutely would have stayed in Cleveland if Bosh would have agreed to go there.  There is also all sorts of credible evidence that James was legitimately torn until the morning of the Decision on where he was going to play.  He even allegedly told some people he was going to stay because that is what he believed he was going to do before changing his mind. 

At the end of the day there is a big difference between talking with friends and making a decision, and James did not make that decision until right before the Decision.  He did not make the return decision until after the season as well, which is what he has done every single time he was a free agent since returning.  James just doesn't really think about these things until the season is over.  That doesn't mean he won't end up in L.A., it just means he won't make that determination until the season is over.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55

Exactly... Then he will gather his band of merry men.. CP, George, maybe D. Jordan and create his new super team... maybe it will be in LA where Magic will comply to any demand and trade Ball if what Lebron wants or what works under the cap...

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Sure and if Chris Bosh would have agreed to a trade to Cleveland, James would have never left.  I have no doubt James, Wade, and Bosh discussed the possibility of playing together, but James absolutely would have stayed in Cleveland if Bosh would have agreed to go there.  There is also all sorts of credible evidence that James was legitimately torn until the morning of the Decision on where he was going to play.  He even allegedly told some people he was going to stay because that is what he believed he was going to do before changing his mind. 

At the end of the day there is a big difference between talking with friends and making a decision, and James did not make that decision until right before the Decision.  He did not make the return decision until after the season as well, which is what he has done every single time he was a free agent since returning. James just doesn't really think about these things until the season is over.  That doesn't mean he won't end up in L.A., it just means he won't make that determination until the season is over.

I don't know. I would think as he is thinking about his kids and his wife and his business empire he has a very strong idea of where the next chapter in his life is going to go. I don't think anyone can really just make that kind of decision spontaneously in a one week period. I do believe that he could still change his mind, but I am pretty confident he has a strong feeling what he wants to do next. It may be that if he wins the championship in Cleveland this year he will change from what he is currently thinking, but it is hard to not think he is out of there.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Lebron is a businessman. Lebron surrounds himself with other business people. [dang] right he has the next chapter of his life mapped out. What successful business person do you know that just wings it?
ok fine

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Lebron is a businessman. Lebron surrounds himself with other business people. [dang] right he has the next chapter of his life mapped out. What successful business person do you know that just wings it?

Yea. I find the idea that he has no idea and just puts off leaning towards making a decision absolutely hilarious. Obviously he is not going to create a circus now and is going to pretend he will only think about it after the season, but no human being really operates like that. TP

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am convinced Lebron is concentrating on the here and now and trying to win another title in Cleveland, but, it seems a bit naive to think he isn't laying the ground behind the scenes for where he is going to be next year. I am sure he has his agent reaching out to people, setting up possible scenarios and creating real options for where he will be next year. That doesn't mean just LA or just Houston or just Cleveland. I am convinced he has multiple options with lots of moving pieces going on right now.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 09:59:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I am convinced Lebron is concentrating on the here and now and trying to win another title in Cleveland, but, it seems a bit naive to think he isn't laying the ground behind the scenes for where he is going to be next year. I am sure he has his agent reaching out to people, setting up possible scenarios and creating real options for where he will be next year. That doesn't mean just LA or just Houston or just Cleveland. I am convinced he has multiple options with lots of moving pieces going on right now.
this is basically my opinion as well.  I don't know why when I say that James won't make a decision until the off season that every assumes I mean he won't think about his decision at all until the off season, especially when I said in this thread that I clearly believed he was talking to bosh and wade long before the summer he went to Miami .  But talking to people is not the same thing as making a decision.