Author Topic: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?  (Read 23912 times)

Which musician / group is the most universally liked?
« on: November 14, 2020, 02:05:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My friends and I were discussing which musical act would be accepted by the largest percentage if you just grabbed a bunch of people at random.  It’s not “who would be most popular” so much as who would get the fewest “no way” votes.

Our group of mostly pasty white professionals in our 30s to 50s arrived on Tom Petty.  Nobody seems to hate Tom Petty as an artist.  It’s not because he’s generic, but rather that he seems universal.

Who would you throw out there as a contender?  And do any of you truly hate Tom Petty?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 02:21:28 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
My friends and I were discussing which musical act would be accepted by the largest percentage if you just grabbed a bunch of people at random.  It’s not “who would be most popular” so much as who would get the fewest “no way” votes.

Our group of mostly pasty white professionals in our 30s to 50s arrived on Tom Petty.  Nobody seems to hate Tom Petty as an artist.  It’s not because he’s generic, but rather that he seems universal.

Who would you throw out there as a contender?  And do any of you truly hate Tom Petty?

I like Petty, especially since he was a fan of my favorite group, the Monkees.

I feel like the answer to your main question would depend on the majority demographic(s) of the random group being asked—age, ethnicity, male vs. female, etc. The Beatles, of course, are extremely well-liked, but I've also found it rare, in my experience, to find anyone who truly disliked the Monkees. And Elvis seems to have a lot of cross-generational appeal.

Another thing that might factor into this discussion is the fact that artists of the last 30-40 years—that is, those who've been active during the time of modern mass media and then social media—are a lot more visible, including any scandals or questionable behavior that a lot of people would object to. I'm thinking primarily of Madonna, who is obviously a very popular artist but whose image doesn't sit well with quite a few people.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 02:29:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Another thing that might factor into this discussion is the fact that artists of the last 30-40 years—that is, those who've been active during the time of modern mass media and then social media—are a lot more visible, including any scandals or questionable behavior that a lot of people would object to. I'm thinking primarily of Madonna, who is obviously a very popular artist but whose image doesn't sit well with quite a few people.

Agreed.  Also, I think that over time that most pop stars lose their appeal, due to over-saturation and lyrics that don’t resonate.  I think that artists like Madonna and Britney suffer from both, while a group like U2 lost its appeal to many when Bono became a celebrity (and they and Apple hijacked everybody’s iPhones).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
I have never heard anyone say they did not like the Beatles.  They garnered world-wide acclaim.  I also believe David Bowie is in the same category.
I've always enjoyed Tom Petty.     
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 02:35:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I have never heard anyone say they did not like the Beatles.  They garnered world-wide acclaim.  I also believe David Bowie is in the same category.
I've always enjoyed Tom Petty.     

The people I’ve heard criticize the Beatles were mostly hardcore Stones fans.  Kind of like people who trash PlayStation because they like Xbox better.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 02:36:07 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Tom Waits when I think of an artist who could play anywhere in the world and have an audience.
ok fine

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 02:42:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Billy Joel

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 02:50:50 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I like Petty, especially since he was a fan of my favorite group, the Monkees.

I feel like the answer to your main question would depend on the majority demographic(s) of the random group being asked—age, ethnicity, male vs. female, etc. The Beatles, of course, are extremely well-liked, but I've also found it rare, in my experience, to find anyone who truly disliked the Monkees. And Elvis seems to have a lot of cross-generational appeal.

The Monkees were tv actors not musicians. When they tried to make their own album they failed miserably. They were replaced by an animated group The Archies who turned out the huge hit Sugar Sugar.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 02:51:36 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
Stevie Wonder

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Stevie Wonder

I think that one might be a tough sell. 

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 03:00:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The guy I individually thought of was Johnny Cash.  How can somebody not like Johnny Cash?

But my wife falls into that group of extremely misguided souls.

I also have a hard time with people who can’t at least enjoy Elvis.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I don't hate Tom Petty, but I don't particularly like Tom Petty. Running Down a Dream is a jam, though.

I think the last 20 years of music make this very difficult because the decline of radio & music television as the main drivers of musical consumption make uniform tastes much harder to come by. People listen to whatever they want now, and I'm sure many of us listen to vastly different things.

Bowie is probably a good bet, though. And I'd offer up Nick Cave as well, though he's a clear tier or two less popular than some of the names being offered.

Queen, perhaps?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 03:29:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Nickleback
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The Beatles.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
Stevie Wonder

I think that one might be a tough sell.

Really? Why? Pretty universally loved and admired as songwriter and musician.  Talking Book and Innervisions two of my favorite albums from the '70's.