Author Topic: Star Wars (shows and streaming)...  (Read 27270 times)

Re: Star Wars (shows and streaming)...
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2023, 04:53:21 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 305
Ahsoka...

I thought the first two episodes were pretty boring.  A lot of sitting around and talking.  Hopefully it gets better.

For fans who haven't watched Rebels, they've got to be bored *and* confused right now, right?

I never saw the Rebels show. However, I did watch the first two episodes of Ahsoka and thought it was really good (and was never bored),

My biggest complaint about the show, I noticed in the trailer too, but it may be more of a nitpick. I'm not trying to be sexist, but I think there may be one too many female lead characters. It just seems a little jarring to go from Star Wars being essentially male dominated to suddenly having a show where the show revolves around 5 female characters.

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2023, 09:37:26 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
They have certainly picked up the ante with episodes 3-5 eh?
Banner 19 please 😍

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2023, 09:46:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1666
  • What a Pub Should Be
They have certainly picked up the ante with episodes 3-5 eh?

Big time.  I thought episode 4 was incredible and then they unleash episode 5 on us which was even better.  The world between worlds/flashback stuff was great. 

Also, its a [dang] tragedy that Ray Stevenson passed away.  Baylan Skoll is an awesome character.  He played him so well.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2024, 09:01:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25568
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What are people's opinions on the Acolyte?

It's definitely not as bad as the review bombs say.  But, I wouldn't call it good, either.  The story itself is uneven, which is made worse by the bad acting and/or directing.  (So many of the actors are bad -- or at least have several bad scenes -- that I wonder if it's the director's fault.)

I generally don't mind the "lore" stuff, but the series definitely makes the Jedi look weak and incompetent. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2024, 09:56:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1584

It's definitely not as bad as the review bombs say.  But, I wouldn't call it good, either.  The story itself is uneven, which is made worse by the bad acting and/or directing.  (So many of the actors are bad -- or at least have several bad scenes -- that I wonder if it's the director's fault.)

I generally don't mind the "lore" stuff, but the series definitely makes the Jedi look weak and incompetent.
I didn't see it, but haven't the Jedi always been weak and incompetent?  There is a reason the dark side keeps winning over and over again, with the light only coming out ahead at the end of the say because of a few unique individuals and some luck.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2024, 10:10:15 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

The writing & acting is pretty horrific.  I watched episode 7 last night.  I don't know where this show is headed.  I feel like they hit on one episode (episode 5) and the rest have been duds.

I'll stick with it for now but this is easily the worst Star Wars show they've come out with.

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2024, 10:12:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I didn't see it, but haven't the Jedi always been weak and incompetent?  There is a reason the dark side keeps winning over and over again, with the light only coming out ahead at the end of the say because of a few unique individuals and some luck.

More weak and incompetent than usual. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2024, 10:47:34 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Which is frustrating because almost every incarnation we've seen of them on screen shows them that way while Star Wars lore speaks of them being these incredible badasses. 

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2024, 11:10:27 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Which is frustrating because almost every incarnation we've seen of them on screen shows them that way while Star Wars lore speaks of them being these incredible badasses.

Yep.  The Clone Wars series, video games and the books did a good job of establishing that (at least in terms of powers), but most of the stuff on screen (whether it's due to not having the technology or the imagination) doesn't go there.

And, in the current series, not only are the Jedi weak, but they're not particularly honorable (except at certain moments) or wise.  They're certainly not a group that would be revered by most of the galaxy.

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2024, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 778

Yep.  The Clone Wars series, video games and the books did a good job of establishing that (at least in terms of powers), but most of the stuff on screen (whether it's due to not having the technology or the imagination) doesn't go there.

And, in the current series, not only are the Jedi weak, but they're not particularly honorable (except at certain moments) or wise.  They're certainly not a group that would be revered by most of the galaxy.

I think the biggest issue I have with any new Star Wars media content is their desire to deconstruct the things I loved.

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2024, 11:22:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think the biggest issue I have with any new Star Wars media content is their desire to deconstruct the things I loved.

Yeah.  That goes beyond Stars Wars, and is a reflection of where art (and society?) in general is trending. 

The classic "hero's tale" isn't seen as sophisticated and nuanced enough.  It needs to be torn down and re-imagined. 

I hear they're making a remake of The Never-Ending Story.  I can only imagine what they're going to do to that. 

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2024, 11:25:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah.  That goes beyond Stars Wars, and is a reflection of where art (and society?) in general is trending. 

The classic "hero's tale" isn't seen as sophisticated and nuanced enough.  It needs to be torn down and re-imagined. 

I hear they're making a remake of The Never-Ending Story.  I can only imagine what they're going to do to that.

I'm sure it'll be a CGI mess. 

That's too bad.  One of the great kid movies of the 80s.  Certainly doesn't need a remake.

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2024, 11:38:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm sure it'll be a CGI mess. 

That's too bad.  One of the great kid movies of the 80s.  Certainly doesn't need a remake.

Yeah, I loved that movie so much.  I remember one year in elementary school most of the boys wanted to be Atr?yu.  That's back in the day when kids were encouraged to wear costumes to school.  Lots of little boys running around showing off their chests, lol.

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2024, 02:24:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2540
"Acolyte" is a disaster. I stopped watching after episode 4.

"I can't believe my sister is Jedi scum!"

My God, such terrible writing and acting. I actually burst out laughing at some of it. The lead is just in way over her head. It takes a high level of talent to overcome dialogue this bad. The Squid Game guy carries just about every scene he's in. He deserves some credit there. And he just recently learned English! I guess it takes a tenuous grasp of English to be able to deliver this dialogue with conviction.

But he actually exudes compassion, humor, personality. Something almost every Jedi ever portrayed has lacked.

The Jedi are just so boring. Everyone wants to be Alec Guinness, but the newer actors lack his gravitas. So we get these awkward, wooden portayals like Hayden Christiansen etc. Nobody is different or interesting. Yoda was great because he was quirky and weird. Notice though that in modern portayals he is also very boring. Disney probably thinks Yoda is popular because he's little and green.

These showrunners are too stupid to understand the basic success blueprints that THEIR OWN SISTER FRANCHISES EXEMPLIFY. Marvel didn't take off because Iron Man's suit is really cool.

It owned because we would gladly watch 90 minutes of Robert Downey reading "the Great Gatsby" so long as he was in character as Tony Stark.

But they've replaced well-realized superstar characters like Han Solo, Yoda, Vader etc etc with cheap knockoffs.

I'm done with this fan fiction until Disney fires Kennedy and her cronies and installs some real talent.

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2024, 04:05:17 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Agree with Kraidstar. I am completely out on Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy and her staff have lost all credibility as stewards of the source material. They have made it clear that I am no longer the intended audience and so I?m out.

However I will say that I am also out on the hate videos. I?ve watched enough Critical Drinker and other channels that are so obsessed with the culture war that they pick apart every minute of the content to the point where they are just nitpicking because they don?t like the messaging. I don?t need to dwell in the negativity any more than I need to watch chanting lesbian space witches. I have simply moved on.

Edit: Not sure why my apostrophes are showing up as question marks