Poll

If we can re-sign Terry Rozier to a 32/4 contract, should we do it?

Yes
6 (46.2%)
No
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: August 02, 2019, 09:00:24 PM

Author Topic: What if Terry Rozier doesn't get a big offer in free agency?  (Read 3935 times)

Re: What if Terry Rozier doesn't get a big offer in free agency?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
He could either take the QO or renounce his bird rights to be UFA.

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 07:04:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Really really really hoping some team signs Rozier away.  I do not want him back at any price.

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
As a Rozier supporter, one thing I want to remind some of you about is how badly some players, especially guys coming off their rookie deals, play in contract years.  Think back to Marcus Smart a year ago — shooting at career-worst levels, having outbursts on the sidelines, and injuring himself punching a hotel mirror or picture frame — much of the board here couldn’t wait to see him go.  This year, contract in hand, even if it might have been less than he hoped, he was a model citizen playing the best basketball of his career.

Compound that stress with the fact that his role was being reduced not due to his own play, frequent trade rumors, and the general malaise of the team, and it’s not all that surprising we didn’t see the best of Rozier as a player or as a teammate.  I expect him to rebound if he’s signed to a long-term deal getting paid starter money.  I would be concerned with a QO or two-year deal.

Relatedly, I hope Jaylen is extended this summer, so we don’t have yet another young, key Celtic stressing about basketball business all season.

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 07:36:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As a Rozier supporter, one thing I want to remind some of you about is how badly some players, especially guys coming off their rookie deals, play in contract years.  Think back to Marcus Smart a year ago — shooting at career-worst levels, having outbursts on the sidelines, and injuring himself punching a hotel mirror or picture frame — much of the board here couldn’t wait to see him go.  This year, contract in hand, even if it might have been less than he hoped, he was a model citizen playing the best basketball of his career.

Compound that stress with the fact that his role was being reduced not due to his own play, frequent trade rumors, and the general malaise of the team, and it’s not all that surprising we didn’t see the best of Rozier as a player or as a teammate.  I expect him to rebound if he’s signed to a long-term deal getting paid starter money.  I would be concerned with a QO or two-year deal.

Relatedly, I hope Jaylen is extended this summer, so we don’t have yet another young, key Celtic stressing about basketball business all season.
I get why Rozier may have played worse, I do truly understand. But the way he went about handling it and then the way he went public with everything after is bad form. Not sure that can just be written off as pressure to perform for that next contract.

Rozier could have burned down some serious bridges with his public statements after the season. Mannix today discussed the Celtics needing to seriously consider "resurrecting" Rozier's attitude and play to more like the 2018 playoffs and hinted he may need to mend some relationships in order to return.

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 07:36:40 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt get a big offer.

I mean why should he?

He is at best, what, the 6th or 7th best pg on the market? and that might be being generous

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 07:43:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Think Rozier will be in the same boat Smart was...

I agree.  If Kyrie leaves... I think Rozier will get somewhere around that same sized contract from Boston (4 year, 52 mil) as there are no very serious higher bidders and I think he takes it.  And I'm in the same boat as saltlover in thinking Terry can return to '18 playoff form or close to it as a starting point guard, so I'd be happy with that.

You're the cap expert: how is $15 million a year for Rozier a good deal?

To be worth that he has to become an above average starting point guard. And assuming that we build on and resign Brown and Tatum, we'd be capped out. That means that Tatum, Brown, Smart and Rozier is the core of our hopefully contending team for the foreseeable future.
I think those 3 are a solid start, but don't need to be be our entire core.  We just drafted a raw Robert Williams in the first round last year, we have three first round picks in what looks like an interestingly deep draft this year, and we have the Memphis pick coming up.  I think we need to hit on one of those 5 first round picks, which isn't an unreasonable hope.  Look at all the guys taken pick #13 and later in the 2017 draft who already look like good players and still should have a lot of growth in front of them.  Hopefully we can find a Siakam, Donovan Mitchell, John Collins, Kuzma, Capela, Nurkic of our own somewhere in one of those picks.  The Memphis pick especially could be gold in 2021.  Or the trade chip that brings us in a player that adds to that core.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Rozier might be "valued" at $15M, but, I prefer a classic point guard here.

In the meantime, if Irving is gone and Rozier gets signed away? How much talent can the Celtic's lose with "nothing" in return?

At least at $15M, he's a viable trade chip.

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
As frustrating as Rozier is if you can get him back on a value contract I think you do it. He will likely get a much bigger workload next year. If the contract was 4/40 (basically non taxpayer midlevel) would you do it?

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I would do a S/T with Rozier to the Suns for pick 6. Then i would renounce everyone else and sign Julius Randle and Ricky Rubio.

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2019, 06:42:27 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
As frustrating as Rozier is if you can get him back on a value contract I think you do it. He will likely get a much bigger workload next year. If the contract was 4/40 (basically non taxpayer midlevel) would you do it?

I pretty much feel the same.  If he can be had for Marcus Smart money or less hopefully, he could quickly become an asset again if he plays well in the first half of next season.  If the attitude problems are still hurting the team, send him out and at least get some value out of the contract.

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 07:08:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be shocked to see Rozier sign for anything less than $12 million per year.  I’d personally have no problems going to at least $15 million per year.  5 years, $75 million would be a good deal for both sides.

You're the cap expert: how is $15 million a year for Rozier a good deal?

To be worth that he has to become an above average starting point guard. And assuming that we build on and resign Brown and Tatum, we'd be capped out. That means that Tatum, Brown, Smart and Rozier is the core of our hopefully contending team for the foreseeable future.
I think when you look around the league you’ll find that there are many guys with similar contracts to $15m a season who are worse than Rozier, and I’m definitely no Rozier fan. Guys like Jordan Clarkson are prime examples of this. However I too would be apprehensive.

If Rozier is able to buy into his role then maybe I’d see him back here, but only for $12m a season or so. I just don’t know if he’s equipped to actually run an offence, or choose smart shots.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

I pretty much feel the same.  If he can be had for Marcus Smart money or less hopefully, he could quickly become an asset again if he plays well in the first half of next season.  If the attitude problems are still hurting the team, send him out and at least get some value out of the contract.

No team will want Rozier if it becomes clear he has an attitude problem.

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 07:19:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Lots of teams have a lot of cap space available this coming free agency and we've seen in previous years (most notably 2016) that teams are stupid and will spend it basically on anyone who they can get, even if these players clearly aren't worth it.

However I have the impression that Rozier is on the bottom of that pool of targets. And that he's a restricted free agent always scares teams away, since they'd show up with nothing when the Celtics match the offer. So I'm wondering whether that big offer will come. Maybe Rozier ends up in a Nerlens-Noel-type-of-situation?

The choice between signing a team-friendly deal on a much lower salary than you hoped for or risk losing out on millions by signing the qualifying offer and never get you career succesfully of the ground. 

I'm not interested of bringing Rozier back on a 1-year-deal, but if we re-sign him longterm on a team-friendly deal than he becomes a future asset. Terry will have the security of being paid (he has only earned 8,7 million in his career so far).

My offer would be 32/4 (and I even believe it's kind of generous, but with a descending salary (8% each year) very interesting from an asset perpective), in millions:

19/20: $8,95
20/21: $8,28
21/22: $7,67
22/23: $7,10

If Rozier plays for the qualifying offer next season (4,29), then he'd have to sign a new multi-year-deal in 2020 at around 12 million a year to make it really worth it. Total earnings over those 4 years in that case: 40 million (8 more, but with risk).

Would anyone want the Toxic Crusader? You see what he did to ya'll lockeroom. Even on the outside looking in, I knew something was off. Kyrie was never toxic with us; even though he did not want to play with LBJ, he kept it to himself, unlike Terry is is not on his level.
quite the odd post given the name of the poster. please provide links or sources for all these assertions. thank you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 07:25:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

salty, i see your points, but as nick points out the history involved here does matter.

as an aside, i request that you deploy your posting brilliance on a slightly related point. i have thought that bringingin rubio might be the best route for the celtics now. a vet who is a very good player in many aspects of the game and very intelligent. as long as he doesnt shoot the ball much.  ;D

in your eyes, what would it cost the celtics to bring in rubio?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 08:10:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Don't care about Rozier anymore.

No Horford to minimize Rozier's weak-points at PG. Rozier would be exposed. Whatever contract he would get, that would quickly become a bad contract that we cannot move without costing us assets without Horford here to hide behind.

Signed,
Former Rozier supporter