Author Topic: Robert Williams making an impact  (Read 8172 times)

Robert Williams making an impact
« on: August 08, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Vs Raptors highlights (10 pts, 4 reb)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcDM0nY_xtw

Vs Nets highlights (18 pts, 5 reb, 3 blk, 2 assist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1VoPjT3W5M

Celtics need Robert Williams, especially vs teams like Lakers, Bucks, Raptors, Rockets...  This way guys like Lowry and Westbrook think twice before driving at will to the basket, causing the other defenders to overthink and overhelp.  A situation where teams like Bucks, Rockets salivate at

Also on offense, those high interior lobs when opposing teams try to pressure too hard out to the perimeter.  Only Robert Williams can reach/jump that high to snarl those.  Several times vs Nets and Raptors it was a "relief" way out of the situation.  And the inside/outside offensive attack frustrated/tired Nets/Raps out

Re: Robert Williams making an impact
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Vs Raptors highlights (10 pts, 4 reb)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcDM0nY_xtw

Vs Nets highlights (18 pts, 5 reb, 3 blk, 2 assist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1VoPjT3W5M

Celtics need Robert Williams, especially vs teams like Lakers, Bucks, Raptors, Rockets...  This way guys like Lowry and Westbrook think twice before driving at will to the basket, causing the other defenders to overthink and overhelp.  A situation where teams like Bucks, Rockets salivate at

Also on offense, those high interior lobs when opposing teams try to pressure too hard out to the perimeter.  Only Robert Williams can reach/jump that high to snarl those.  Several times vs Nets and Raptors it was a "relief" way out of the situation.  And the inside/outside offensive attack frustrated/tired Nets/Raps out

totally agree,

but you know CBS .....he ll fiddle fart around and not use a killer asset like timelord and his 5 fouls .   Even if he fouls out guarding Lebron ,  he helps jam up the middle and make scoring more difficult for anybody trying to get an easy layup.

I d put Kanter , Timelord and Tatum in against the lakers ..   We need size and lenght 

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 12:58:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
sometimes people just overthink this thing. Its basketball not rocket science. It is and will always be a big man's game. Time Lord should have been playing. Other teams play their young guns. Play the young man.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 01:08:51 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Biggest improvement:

1. More disciplined on defense
2. More confident on offense, especially midrange jumper and foul shooting.
3. Setting picks for his teammates.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 01:44:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As far as I can tell the Celtics are locked into the 3rd seed now, so it would be good to give him as much time as possible these last three games to see if he really is ready for meaningful playoff minutes.  If he's managed to cut down on the mistakes and is setting proper screens, and can do that consistently, he's playable.

The kid definitely brings a dimension this team has sorely lacked for a while (vertical threat).

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 07:09:30 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Biggest improvement:

2. More confident on offense, especially mid range jumper and foul shooting.

Posted by: Ogaju
« on: Today at 12:58:48 PM »

Agreed.

I am also 100% / 200% convinced of two things:

1. This draft can set us up for a legitimate 10 year run assuming relative health for Tatum and Brown
2. I'm not sure Ainge will draft the players we need - basically big men.

My argument:
1. I realize there is a lot of small ball being played and understand it's value. We can do that in spades with the current roster.  OK, great.

2. At the end of the day, push comes to shove, it gets nasty in the paint come playoff time - always has, always will. Most championship teams have some sort of alpha dog big man plus other reasonably good additional bigs (for when it is needed)

My Draft:
17th: Jalen Smith (check out his Tankathon break down)

26th: Vernon Carey
Comment: G to tankathon.com and watch Vernon Carey's High School mix tape. He's leaner, thinner and much more athletic. I'd draft him, have him drop 20-25 pounds, get back down to 245/250 max.

30th pick:  Udoka Azubuike (Again check out his Tankathon profile)
* 6' 11", 275 lb, bouncy big man with a good motor and a 7' 7" wingspan - a willing defender. Let him hammer Embiid for 15 minutes a night.

Robert Williams / Baynes, resigned / Azubuike 
Theis / Jalen Smith / Vernon Carey   
Tatum / Hayward / Grant Williams (I'd have him slim down too)
Brown / Langford / Javonte Green
Kemba / Smart / Wanamaker

This team could go massively big and could clearly still play small ball as well as anyone in the league.

It's so easy to do - Ainge will never do it. He'll draft three undersized guards, wings or Power Forwards, with marginal athleticism and short arms who can't shoot - but - play really hard...

We can argue which big men to draft but just, for the love of God, can we get some, so we can be the bullies, positions 1 through 5? They don't have to be world beaters - they just have to be solid and with a good mix of complimentary skills alongside Time Lord.

Let Smart, Langford, Brown, Tatum, Grant Willliams, Timelord, Jalen Smith, Carey, Azubuike grow together. By the time Jalen's 26 - a few years out, this team could be ridiculous.... But, Ainge will probably screw Tatum and Brown by refusing to draft big men. I'd love him to, for once, prove me wrong in this draft.     

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 01:10:35 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Timelord is becoming the prototypical Center made for PnR. He has been Smarts favorite target and if he learns from Theis on how to seal then we got ourselves a legit C.

I want him to not shy from those midrange shots that teams allow him.

I also want him to learn the art of repositioning hinself on the offensive rebound..he just kinda prefers to stay on him position when someone shoots making him an easy boxout..repositioning gives him a better chance at an offensive reb...this he xan learn from Kanter.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 02:05:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Biggest improvement:

Agreed.

1. This draft can set us up for a legitimate 10 year run assuming relative health for Tatum and Brown

My argument:
1. I realize there is a lot of small ball being played and understand it's value. We can do that in spades with the current roster.  OK, great.

2. At the end of the day, push comes to shove, it gets nasty in the paint come playoff time - always has, always will. Most championship teams have some sort of alpha dog big man plus other reasonably good additional bigs (for when it is needed)

My Draft:

Comment: G to tankathon.com and watch Vernon Carey's High School mix tape. He's leaner, thinner and much more athletic. I'd draft him, have him drop 20-25 pounds, get back down to 245/250 max.

* 6' 11", 275 lb, bouncy big man with a good motor and a 7' 7" wingspan - a willing defender. Let him hammer Embiid for 15 minutes a night.

This team could go massively big and could clearly still play small ball as well as anyone in the league.

It's so easy to do - Ainge will never do it. He'll draft three undersized guards, wings or Power Forwards, with marginal athleticism and short arms who can't shoot - but - play really hard...

We can argue which big men to draft but just, for the love of God, can we get some, so we can be the bullies, positions 1 through 5? They don't have to be world beaters - they just have to be solid and with a good mix of complimentary skills alongside Time Lord.

Let Smart, Langford, Brown, Tatum, Grant Willliams, Timelord, Jalen Smith, Carey, Azubuike grow together. By the time Jalen's 26 - a few years out, this team could be ridiculous.... But, Ainge will probably screw Tatum and Brown by refusing to draft big men. I'd love him to, for once, prove me wrong in this draft.   

TP for the research. I watched the highlights and thought no way are any of these players dropping to the Cs then I check their draft projections and they are aroound for the picks. Danny will pick them if they are available..He is looking to make up for the Giannis blunder. That is why he picked JB and JT.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 02:33:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Biggest improvement:

Agreed.

My argument:

My Draft:

TP for the research. I watched the highlights and thought no way are any of these players dropping to the Cs then I check their draft projections and they are aroound for the picks. Danny will pick them if they are available..He is looking to make up for the Giannis blunder. That is why he picked JB and JT.
You're definitely overlooking their flaws. Vernon Carey is already encountering weight and conditioning issues at 19, as well as being unable to neither pass nor shoot. Azubuike is the worst FT shooter in the country, is also unable to pass at all, and is somewhat injury prone. Jalen Smith is good, but he is, like all the others, not a good passer. He's the only one I'd consider out of the 3
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Timelord is becoming the prototypical Center made for PnR. He has been Smarts favorite target and if he learns from Theis on how to seal then we got ourselves a legit C.

I want him to not shy from those midrange shots that teams allow him.

I also want him to learn the art of repositioning hinself on the offensive rebound..he just kinda prefers to stay on him position when someone shoots making him an easy boxout..repositioning gives him a better chance at an offensive reb...this he xan learn from Kanter.

I think he shies from offensive boards to stay out of foul trouble which until recently he has struggled to avoid.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 06:34:10 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Nice intensity guy but improoving in regularity and knowledge of the game isn't always the eaysiest thing

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 06:54:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Biggest improvement:

Agreed.

My argument:

My Draft:

You're definitely overlooking their flaws. Vernon Carey is already encountering weight and conditioning issues at 19, as well as being unable to neither pass nor shoot. Azubuike is the worst FT shooter in the country, is also unable to pass at all, and is somewhat injury prone. Jalen Smith is good, but he is, like all the others, not a good passer. He's the only one I'd consider out of the 3

It's almost like big men available late in the draft are all flawed, and you have to pick which flaws you think will hold the player back the least.

Are you sure Ainge isn't just passing over flawless 5 star recruits with prototypical size to take flawed undersized guys, though?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Rob Williams has made a tectonic shift on the defensive end. He is trying to play positionally and is setting more aggressive wider screens. Rob was staying earth bound with hands straight up also not biting on closeouts fakes and toned down his athletics on defence. He got a perfect mentor setting screens and rolling in Theis those couple games just sitting something clicked .Now he needs lessons from Enes Kanter on getting position on the offensive board.
His passing was a bonus after the one handed slam on a Marcus lob.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:15:46 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 01:36:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Rob Williams has made a tectonic shift on the defensive end. He is trying to play positionally and is setting more aggressive wider screens. Rob was staying earth bound with hands straight up also not biting on closeouts fakes and toned down his athletics on defence. He got a perfect mentor setting screens and rolling in Theis those couple games just sitting something clicked .Now he needs lessons from Enes Kanter on getting position on the offensive board.
I wouldn't go that far (or even close to it) but I will say the past 2 games his mistakes have been dramatically decreased and he's been a genuine positive when on the floor.  fingers crossed this is Timelord's pivotal moment where he turns the corner from "prospect with possibilities" to "player that makes meaningful contributions in the game".

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 02:08:45 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I wouldn't go that far (or even close to it) but I will say the past 2 games his mistakes have been dramatically decreased and he's been a genuine positive when on the floor.  fingers crossed this is Timelord's pivotal moment where he turns the corner from "prospect with possibilities" to "player that makes meaningful contributions in the game".

I think Williams is making strides. That's pretty exciting. I wonder how he will look against elite offenses that have ways of taking advantage of weaknesses in the playoffs. I think he would be fine one-on-one if he needed to switch out on someone, but it's the rotations that I get worried about.