Author Topic: Future is NOW! Gimme PP, MS, JB, JT, RW3  (Read 6730 times)

Re: Future is NOW! Gimme PP, MS, JB, JT, RW3
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2021, 05:54:05 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
More fuel for the fire:

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday

Per Cleaning the Glass, with Jayson Tatum and Rob Williams in the game (and no other bigs on the floor), the the Celtics have outscored opponents by 36.7 points per 100 possessions in 139 possessions.

According to all the statistics Robert Williams has been the 3rd best Celtics player so far (behind of course Tatum and Brown). Really curious if he'll look that good if he would start instead of coming from the bench. Robert Williams is an impact player, you see that players get scared to drive inside when he is in.

Still standing behind what I said a month ago before the season started. Maybe more fans find this this take reasonable instead of blinded homerism  ;)

For centers 23 years or younger (admittedly Jokic, Porzingis, Towns and Sabonis are in the 24/25 age group), I take Robert Williams over Jarrett Allen, Wendell Carter Jr, Mitchell Robinson, Ivica Zubac, Mo Bamba, Thomas Bryant and Jayson Hayes. The only guys I would trade Williams for in that category are Adebayo and Ayton (excluding draftees Wiseman or Okongwu).

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:00:17 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 06:03:35 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I think a lot of feelings are going to be hurt when you see that rookie in the playoffs...

In my opinion all Payton is doing is proving my point that the Celtics need a game manager in the starting lineup. It’s so evident that even a little rookie could shine in such a role with this team.

To me this is more a reason to trade anyone outside of JB and JT for starting upgrades. The MAIN upgrade is a freaking playmaking game manager who can play defense! Idc what position he plays, he just needs to exist!

When Payton gets exposed against real comp there are going to be a ton of tears lol.

We have draft picks, Kemba, Theis, and maybe even Smart to offer in order to upgrade your PG if that’s what it would take. Keep letting Payton come off the bench while he is cheap, can re-evaluate when his contract forces us to.

I’m also not against upgrading the big position AFTER. I love timelord, but if there is an upgrade of his skills I’m al for it. I’m sure there is someone in the league who is better than him at defense, rebounds, and offensive ability. We have an entire TPE, draft picks, and young guys.

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 11:30:53 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think a lot of feelings are going to be hurt when you see that rookie in the playoffs...

In my opinion all Payton is doing is proving my point that the Celtics need a game manager in the starting lineup. It’s so evident that even a little rookie could shine in such a role with this team.

To me this is more a reason to trade anyone outside of JB and JT for starting upgrades. The MAIN upgrade is a freaking playmaking game manager who can play defense! Idc what position he plays, he just needs to exist!

When Payton gets exposed against real comp there are going to be a ton of tears lol.

We have draft picks, Kemba, Theis, and maybe even Smart to offer in order to upgrade your PG if that’s what it would take. Keep letting Payton come off the bench while he is cheap, can re-evaluate when his contract forces us to.

I’m also not against upgrading the big position AFTER. I love timelord, but if there is an upgrade of his skills I’m al for it. I’m sure there is someone in the league who is better than him at defense, rebounds, and offensive ability. We have an entire TPE, draft picks, and young guys.

Breath of fresh air and on the money. This team shouldn't be in the business of developing players at this point. I'd be fine with moving every 1st and 2nd yr. player on this team to get some quality veteran role players in here that we know what we're going to get esp. come playoff time.

If this team actually uses their draft picks for anything other than acquiring veterans next season questions need to be asked and action taken.

We shouldn't have used our picks this yr. and  so far the only thing saving this draft is pp and something tells me his success is based more on his 4 yrs. in college than his being something unique or special.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:40:16 PM by GreenWarrior »

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 11:36:26 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

He's doing it against real comp right now.

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 12:18:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
More fuel for the fire:

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday

Per Cleaning the Glass, with Jayson Tatum and Rob Williams in the game (and no other bigs on the floor), the the Celtics have outscored opponents by 36.7 points per 100 possessions in 139 possessions.

According to all the statistics Robert Williams has been the 3rd best Celtics player so far (behind of course Tatum and Brown). Really curious if he'll look that good if he would start instead of coming from the bench. Robert Williams is an impact player, you see that players get scared to drive inside when he is in.

Still standing behind what I said a month ago before the season started. Maybe more fans find this this take reasonable instead of blinded homerism  ;)

For centers 23 years or younger (admittedly Jokic, Porzingis, Towns and Sabonis are in the 24/25 age group), I take Robert Williams over Jarrett Allen, Wendell Carter Jr, Mitchell Robinson, Ivica Zubac, Mo Bamba, Thomas Bryant and Jayson Hayes. The only guys I would trade Williams for in that category are Adebayo and Ayton (excluding draftees Wiseman or Okongwu).
Teams would adjust and his numbers would look way worse - Robert is playing limited minutes because teams don't realise how much he is burning them when he's on the court in limited minutes, giving the Celtics an advantage.

I still stand by my comment that your post was scorching homerism until Robert proves that he can be a reasonably good starter for us. He's only clearly better than two guys in your list when one of them is 20 years old while the other one is recovering from Covid.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 12:52:36 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

We've played Indy twice, Milwaukee, Brooklyn, and the Raptors. He's already had to play against some of the best guards in the league. He hasn't always looked great, but other than a few minutes, he has never appeared in over his head.

And I think everyone here - well most of us - know he isn't going for 23/8 in the playoffs. But just dismissing him as a product of the lack of another option is comical.

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2021, 01:04:52 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
More fuel for the fire:

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday

Jarrett Allen is 11/12/2 blocks right now. Bryant is scoring 18/game on 67% shooting. TL has yet to consistently produce enough to show he's better than either of those guys. And frankly, he just gets lost too often on D, has no 3 pt game, and still falls down way too much. I still have a lot of hope for him, but he's behind with respect to some of those guys.

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Jarrett Allen is an amazing rim protector! The Nets finally gave him a starting spot last night against Rudy Gobert and the Jazz. He responded by recording 19 points, 18 rebs, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 1 assist and 0 turnovers on 8-9 from the floor. At the same time, Gobert scored just 10 points on 3-10 from the floor. Check out the 2 blocks on Gobert at 1:01 and 1:21 respectively. Great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_k-0m9pQ-k

For the record, Allen is about to hit restricted free agency in a few months. I wouldn't be against going after him with our TPE. Obviously, it would have to be a sign and trade.

Having said that, the Nets use Allen in a drop scheme on defense, the same way we use Timelord. Would Allen be a good fit in our switch-heavy defensive system? Hard to tell unless we watch him play some D on the perimeter. If I had to guess, I'd say he's a better perimeter defender than Timelord, but worse than Theis and Thompson.

Reading the names on your list, I reckon the best fit for us would be Jaxson Hayes (although imo he's at his best in a hard hedge scheme). Not saying that he's the best players on the list. Just that he'd be a nice fit in our defensive system.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:57:40 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2021, 11:32:50 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Jarrett Allen is an amazing rim protector! The Nets finally gave him a starting spot last night against Rudy Gobert and the Jazz. He responded by recording 19 points, 18 rebs, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 1 assist and 0 turnovers on 8-9 from the floor. At the same time, Gobert scored just 10 points on 3-10 from the floor. Check out the 2 blocks on Gobert at 1:01 and 1:21 respectively. Great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_k-0m9pQ-k

For the record, Allen is about to hit restricted free agency in a few months. I wouldn't be against going after him with our TPE. Obviously, it would have to be a sign and trade.

Having said that, the Nets use Allen in a drop scheme on defense, the same way we use Timelord. Would Allen be a good fit in our switch-heavy defensive system? Hard to tell unless we watch him play some D on the perimeter. If I had to guess, I'd say he's a better perimeter defender than Timelord, but worse than Theis and Thompson.

Reading the names on your list, I reckon the best fit for us would be Wendell Carter Jr and Jaxson Hayes (although imo he's at his best in a hard hedge scheme). Not saying that these 2 are the best players on the list. Just that they'd be a nice fit in our defensive system.

IMO, Carter Jr would be an Al Horford type of center for us.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic