Author Topic: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball  (Read 13683 times)

Re: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2021, 05:35:46 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Smart had 4-6 FG, 1-3 3Pt, +21 +/-  tonight against Chicago.

This is the way Smart should be playing, focusing on defense and let others take the shots. Hopefully, now that both Jays are back in action, Smart can keep up this kind of statistics.

Most of his shots were fadeaways though. I prefer seeing him use runners/leaners/floaters, or even posting up smaller guards.

I love it when he sets up on the block
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2021, 05:43:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Smart has played ideally the last couple of games. Low shot numbers, great playmaking and a return to elite defence. More of this!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2021, 08:06:50 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I must admit, I was willing to drive him to the airport. He was forcing awful shots and taking way too many of them. Bad turnovers, poor decisions, etc.

I don't know what happened, but the last 2 games, he's been fantastic. Limited shooting, and mostly good shots. Outstanding passing with excellent court vision. Great defense. This is the Marcus Smart I love watching.

The question is, will it last? I've seen him play like this before, and than for some unknown reason he goes back to hero ball.

Maybe he thinks that's where the money is? I really can't figure it out, but if he stays within his game, I would love to have him here for the rest of his career. If he goes back to ugly Marcus, I once again volunteer to drive him to the airport.

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2021, 11:44:10 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Fortunately the games haven’t been close and there’s been no need for Smart to revert to his hero ball tendencies. I suspect this is a big reason why Smart has been playing well.

I think when the team is struggling (or when the game is tight), he feels a need to give more effort, which translates to “putting the team on his back” which then leads to him trying to do too much.
- LilRip

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
2 3 point attempts from Smart last night.  That is what he needs to do every game.  If he does that, his value goes up immensely.

This is true. If the guy only took 3-5 shots a game and focused on defense and assists i wouldn't have made this thread. In the next few games he will revert back to his true self, taking a bunch of ill advised shots and turning the ball over. We've seen this story before.

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2021, 07:20:34 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
I must admit, I was willing to drive him to the airport. He was forcing awful shots and taking way too many of them. Bad turnovers, poor decisions, etc.

I don't know what happened, but the last 2 games, he's been fantastic. Limited shooting, and mostly good shots. Outstanding passing with excellent court vision. Great defense. This is the Marcus Smart I love watching.

The question is, will it last? I've seen him play like this before, and than for some unknown reason he goes back to hero ball.

Maybe he thinks that's where the money is? I really can't figure it out, but if he stays within his game, I would love to have him here for the rest of his career. If he goes back to ugly Marcus, I once again volunteer to drive him to the airport.

Agree with everything here. If he played like that consistently i wouldn't have made this thread and would have zero problem with him as a player.

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2021, 07:21:47 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
Fortunately the games haven’t been close and there’s been no need for Smart to revert to his hero ball tendencies. I suspect this is a big reason why Smart has been playing well.

I think when the team is struggling (or when the game is tight), he feels a need to give more effort, which translates to “putting the team on his back” which then leads to him trying to do too much.

Fascinating theory. I'm going to keep an eye out for this.

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2021, 08:07:27 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Fascinating theory. I'm going to keep an eye out for this.

Oddly, quite a lot of his games where his numbers have been good (high), have come in losses..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2021, 08:08:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Anyone else read that Smart is playing with some kind of shoulder injury?

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2021, 08:43:49 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Smart has played ideally the last couple of games. Low shot numbers, great playmaking and a return to elite defence. More of this!

Probably not coincidentally those are the first games this year we had the big three back together.  I believe he feels he has to score more when on them is out.  He is probably right, but he is much more efficient when he is not forcing his shots.  He is more valuable that he can be happy playing either from the shadows or in the lights

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Probably not coincidentally those are the first games this year we had the big three back together.  I believe he feels he has to score more when on them is out.  He is probably right, but he is much more efficient when he is not forcing his shots.  He is more valuable that he can be happy playing either from the shadows or in the lights
Actually, the C's big three are playing together tonight for the first time.

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2021, 09:52:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
aldridge owns theis.

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2021, 11:15:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There is the old Marcus Smart 2 of 7 from 3 and 6 of 15 overall. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2021, 05:55:58 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
There is the old Marcus Smart 2 of 7 from 3 and 6 of 15 overall.

Smart took more shots than any Spurs player last night...

Overall Smart wasn't as bad as the veterans Walker, Theis, Thompson, but he can't be taking that many shots.

Will he ever learn?

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2021, 06:20:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Smart needs to know there are 3 better shooters out there than him..know ur role
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin