Author Topic: Trade Deadline News (Celtics get Tillman, Jaden Springer)  (Read 25098 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2024, 03:04:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I like this move. Tillman is a very good defensive center. He's third in the entire NBA in defensive EPM, he's young, and he's a restricted free agent this off seaosn.

He's also pretty bad on offense, at least this season. But that might partly be due to grizzlies situation. He's a different sort of option as a big vs Kornet or Queta.

Yeah, what happened last season, when he shot over 60%?  It seems like an outlier.

Drafting guru that I am, this is the guy I wanted over Bane.

His FG% is a roller coaster. 56% year one, 45% year two, 61% year three, 41% this year.

I view him as Horford insurance. If Horford needs days off he can slot in next to KP in two man lineups and be just fine becasue of KP's spacing. Meanwhile he can guard stronger guys in spots KP might struggle. Its nice just to have a different look. Any scoring he gives you at all is a bonus.

He's a defensive playmaker as well. Averages over 1 steal and 1 block per game despite playing only 20/min per night. That's nice to have.

Just saw: apparently Lamar Stevens to Memphis as part of the deal? That preserves the Grant TPE and leaves open a roster spot.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 03:11:50 PM by keevsnick »

Re: Trade Deadline News (Celtics get Tillman)
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2024, 03:07:55 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
It didn’t help Tillman this year that he is playing on a G league team.

Have to imagine he’s going to give the Celtics rebounding, defense and able to finish around the rim.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2024, 03:08:07 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
So he is a massive body to bang with Greek Freak, Embiid, or Joker as needed (aka like Semi or Grant)?

Bobby Manning reported that he fits into the Justin Jackson TPE.

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2024, 03:09:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jake Fischer
@JakeLFischer
Lamar Stevens is heading to Memphis as part of the Xavier Tillman trade, according to league sources./quote]

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2024, 03:09:51 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Stevens going to Memphis tells me there is another move coming for Brad.

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2024, 03:11:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA
With Lamar Stevens headed to the Memphis, the math changes on the Xavier Tillman deal for Boston:

-Celtics will use Lamar Stevens as salary-matching for Tillman. (And they'll create a comically small, and unusable TPE for Stevens.)

-Celtics will still have the full Grant Williams TPE of $6.2M

-Boston will still have an open roster spot

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2024, 03:12:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Probably true, but it also saves us something like $8 million.  I think we'll dump some more bench fodder.

Also, with the inclusion of Stevens, I think that officially ends the Kelly Olynyk pipe dream.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 03:12:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Or they don't want to pay the salary/tax of a 15th full roster player.

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2024, 03:14:28 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
So he is a massive body to bang with Greek Freak, Embiid, or Joker as needed (aka like Semi or Grant)?

This is what I was thinking.  They needed someone who can play D, soak up a few minutes and fouls on these types of players.  I was hoping for Fontecchio but that ship sailed to Detriot.  Tillman is 25.  Restricted FA I think someone said and shouldn't require much to resign next year to help fill out the roster.  He's averaging a block and steal per game this year in 20mpg.  1.7asp game as well so he's not a black hole when the ball comes his way.  dreadful 3pt shooter.  He seems like another Oshae.  same age, height.  He's a little thicker then Oshae.  Hopefully he can finish around the rim better the Oshae.

I still think the C's needed another shooter off the bench. 

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2024, 03:14:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wanted Tillman a few years ago in the Pritchard/Bane draft and I was secretly hoping we could grab him at the deadline.

It’s exciting that he didn’t even cost a 1st (or one of our good 2nds) and we will have the option to re-sign him in FA. A great fit on our team and will hopefully give Horford more opportunities to rest down the stretch…maybe even eventually a Horford replacement.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2024, 03:15:04 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I really think Brad wants another wing scorer. He just got the big basically for nothing.

He has a roster spot and the grant TPE. Go all in.

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2024, 03:16:59 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

Or they reward Q with a roster spot.  He has a cap on the amount of games he can plan and I don't think he'd be eligible for the playoffs.  he may be needed for a few spot minutes to save some fouls against the big guys like Embiid that the C's can't handle well.

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2024, 03:29:57 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Or they reward Q with a roster spot.  He has a cap on the amount of games he can plan and I don't think he'd be eligible for the playoffs.  he may be needed for a few spot minutes to save some fouls against the big guys like Embiid that the C's can't handle well.
I would think that Q gets a roster spot. He's been really good lately and may have a small role to play in the playoffs.

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2024, 03:30:58 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I have been banging the drum for Tillman since his draft. I really like what he will bring to the team and his potential as an Al understudy. Its nice to now have a big who is going to be capable of contributing if needed in a playoff series. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2024, 03:32:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I like this move. Tillman is a very good defensive center. He's third in the entire NBA in defensive EPM, he's young, and he's a restricted free agent this off seaosn.

He's also pretty bad on offense, at least this season. But that might partly be due to grizzlies situation. He's a different sort of option as a big vs Kornet or Queta.

Yeah, what happened last season, when he shot over 60%?  It seems like an outlier.

Drafting guru that I am, this is the guy I wanted over Bane.

I also wanted Tillman over Bane.  Obviously that was a mistake, but I still think he can be useful.

As for his shooting, he’s always shot in the 20s from 3.  Last year he barely attempted any 3s, and half his shot were at the rim.  This year 25% of his shots are from 3, and less than 40% of his shot are at the rim.  That’ll do a number on your stats.  Don’t know if that’s bad decision-making by him or bad offense by the Grizzlies.  My guess is more of the latter, given how decimated their roster has been by injuries.

Curious if we’re also going to dump a contract in this deal.  My guess was yes, but that hasn’t been reported.  EDIT: I’m now seeing Lamar Stevens as having been included from some sources.