Author Topic: Rim Protection  (Read 6869 times)

Re: Rim Protection
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It's quite hard deciphering what Sam Hinkie's plans are for the Sixers but considering the fact that he just traded MCW and KJMc for picks, one could guess that he is stockpiling picks ala Ainge. With the trade posted above, Philly receives Oly and James Young along with one of the Nets picks the C's have. I think that is compelling enough specially when you have a healthy Embiid as your inside presence and your offense predicated on producing open jump (perimeter) shots. Oly fits nicely in that system...
We aren't getting Nerlens.  That's not happening.  People keep bringing it up, because they misunderstand what Hinkie is doing. 

MCW was traded, because they viewed him as an overrated player putting up inflated inefficient stats on a tanking team.  They wanted to sell high before he got exposed like Rondo or better talent forced him to the bench (similar to Trey Burke losing his starting role).  They also figured they'd get a better guard in the draft... and they probably will.  DeAngelo Russell looks like a great fit.

Nerlens, on the other hand, is already a top 10 defensive player in this league.  He's a cornerstone piece.  We theoretically could have put together a compelling offer built around Marcus Smart + #16 + #28 had the 76ers landed Okafor or Townes through this draft, but even then it's not clear that they would have traded one of their potential franchise centers for a pu-pu-platter of lesser talent when they pretty easily could just trade one for an all-star caliber at a position of need (I always use Derozan as an example... no rebuilding team would pass up trading a fringe star like Derozan for a potential franchise big man).   

At this point, aint happening.   Noel and Embiid will be fine together.  If needed, they can flip one for a star prospect at another position.  That definitely isn't Olynyk.

Bolded for exaggeration, not for agreement.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 05:33:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Get WCS and Mickey from the draft

I thought you wanted Kaminsky?

The more immediate need we have is a rim protection/above the rim players

You know that is exactly the reason I was telling you I wouldn't take him and you refused to listen. I'm glad my thoughts were able to sway you.  ;)

Sway me? You wanted Turner instead didnt you?

I still hope they dont pick him. Rather have Kaminsky.

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You know that is exactly the reason I was telling you I wouldn't take him and you refused to listen. I'm glad my thoughts were able to sway you.  ;)

Per 40 min stat numbers. In parentheses, next to Kaminsky's senior numbers, are his per40 stats when he was the same age as Turner. Now imagine for a second that Turner has the same developmental growth, between the key ages of 19-22, as Kaminsky did. Are you still sure you wouldn't draft him?

PPG
Turner 18.3 - Kaminsky 22.2 (9.3)

RPG
Turner 11.8 - Kaminsky 9.8 (7.4)

BPG
Turner 4.5 - Kaminsky 1.7 (1.9)

FG%
Turner 45.5 - Kaminsky 54.7 (41.1)

FT%
Turner 83.9 - Kaminsky 78.0 (50.0)

3PTM
Turner 0.9 - Kaminsky 1.3 (0.3)

AGE!!
Turner 19 - Kaminsky 22
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:25:13 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 07:25:02 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Per 40 min stat numbers. In parentheses, next to Kaminsky's senior numbers, are his per40 stats when he was the same age as Turner. Now imagine for a second that Turner has the same developmental growth, between the key ages of 19-22, as Kaminsky did. Are you still sure you wouldn't draft him?

PPG
Turner 18.3 - Kaminsky 22.2 (9.3)

RPG
Turner 11.8 - Kaminsky 9.8 (7.4)

BPG
Turner 4.5 - Kaminsky 1.7 (1.9)

FG%
Turner 45.5 - Kaminsky 54.7 (41.1)

FT%
Turner 83.9 - Kaminsky 78.0 (50.0)

3PTM
Turner 0.9 - Kaminsky 1.3 (0.3)

AGE!!
Turner 19 - Kaminsky 22

Nice post.

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 05:40:34 AM »

Offline Soytiz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
It's quite hard deciphering what Sam Hinkie's plans are for the Sixers but considering the fact that he just traded MCW and KJMc for picks, one could guess that he is stockpiling picks ala Ainge. With the trade posted above, Philly receives Oly and James Young along with one of the Nets picks the C's have. I think that is compelling enough specially when you have a healthy Embiid as your inside presence and your offense predicated on producing open jump (perimeter) shots. Oly fits nicely in that system...
We aren't getting Nerlens.  That's not happening.  People keep bringing it up, because they misunderstand what Hinkie is doing. 

MCW was traded, because they viewed him as an overrated player putting up inflated inefficient stats on a tanking team.  They wanted to sell high before he got exposed like Rondo or better talent forced him to the bench (similar to Trey Burke losing his starting role).  They also figured they'd get a better guard in the draft... and they probably will.  DeAngelo Russell looks like a great fit.

Nerlens, on the other hand, is already a top 10 defensive player in this league.  He's a cornerstone piece.  We theoretically could have put together a compelling offer built around Marcus Smart + #16 + #28 had the 76ers landed Okafor or Townes through this draft, but even then it's not clear that they would have traded one of their potential franchise centers for a pu-pu-platter of lesser talent when they pretty easily could just trade one for an all-star caliber at a position of need (I always use Derozan as an example... no rebuilding team would pass up trading a fringe star like Derozan for a potential franchise big man).   

At this point, aint happening.   Noel and Embiid will be fine together.  If needed, they can flip one for a star prospect at another position.  That definitely isn't Olynyk.

Thank you for your thoughts but I just can't see myself subscribing to some of your uncanny points. Saying that 'they' misunderstand Hinkie's plan tells me that you have a better understanding of what his plans are. Hmmm...

On MCW - I think Hinkie made a bad play here for the Lakers pick that won't convey until it has a diminished value. I compare it to having KQ suited and folding before the flop when no one raised. Why? because MCW has been doing well with the Bucks and his stats have been favorably compared to Jason Kidd of all people, who by the way, improved his defense and 3pt shooting as he developed. I'm on the optimistic side here but I think I'm on the better side.

On Noel - With a GM like Hinkie that values draft picks and assets, I wouldn't put it past him to seriously 'evaluate' an offer which includes two players with quite some upside (with movable contracts) and a draft pick which may end up speculatively high enough to his liking just like the Lakers pick he traded MCW for. Again, I'm being optimistic here but is within the realm of possibilities. As for him being top 10 defensively at this stage, let's revisit this in a year or two.

I understand why we give Sam Hinkie the benefit of the doubt considering that he has pedigree but of note is the fact that with all the player movements he has made, there are only 3 future incoming first-rounders and only one with potential to be in the top 10. Meaning: more tanking in the future. Nuff said...