Author Topic: 22 years ago ....  (Read 2628 times)

22 years ago ....
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Semifinal , world championship 1986 USSR vs Yugoslavia
One of the greatest comebacks ever.

There are a few youngster that will eventually play in the NBA. Some of them had good carriers some not so good.... Arvydas Sabonis before the injuries,  Vlade Divac without the beard :D , the late Drazen "Mozart" Petrovic , Stojan Vrankovic , Aleksander Volkov .... Coach for the Yugoslavian team was Cosic one of the best European players of all times and his assistant was Dusan Ivkovic one of the best European coaches of all times.

The clips about 10mins long and start 2min before the end of the game with Divac fouling Sabonis while the score was 83-75 (Yugoslavia leads).

It`s from the Greek TV and you won`t understand the commentator :D so i must give some details.
The crowd supports USSR cause the refs in the whole game were "supporting" Yugoslavia. About 1.5 min to the end the refs called a defensive foul on Tarakanov which looked more like an offensive one and the crowd started throwing stuff on the court.
When Yugoslavia scored and the lead went to 9 points a little less than a min to go the commentator said "Yugoslavia is the sure winner" :D :D :D which seems odd today since 1 min is a lot of time in bball but in 1986 the rules where very different.
The shot clock was 30". Also for defensive fouls after the 7nth the team could choose between taking 1 free through (+1 if the players makes the first) and taking the ball from the sideline for an new 30" possession. 

sorry i can`t embed the video from divshare :-(
DivShare File - wc1986__semifina.avi

Re: 22 years ago ....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Also for defensive fouls after the 7nth the team could choose between taking 1 free through (+1 if the players makes the first) and taking the ball from the sideline for an new 30" possession. 

That's an interesting rule.  The last 90 seconds of every close NBA game is dragged on by all the fouls and free throws.  People have gotten used to it as just part of the game, but maybe it would be better to eliminate it by giving the team with the ball the choice between foul shots and out of bounds with new shot clock.

TP for the Stojko Vrankovic reference.
Double rainbow all the way

Re: 22 years ago ....
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Also for defensive fouls after the 7nth the team could choose between taking 1 free through (+1 if the players makes the first) and taking the ball from the sideline for an new 30" possession. 

That's an interesting rule.  The last 90 seconds of every close NBA game is dragged on by all the fouls and free throws.  People have gotten used to it as just part of the game, but maybe it would be better to eliminate it by giving the team with the ball the choice between foul shots and out of bounds with new shot clock.

TP for the Stojko Vrankovic reference.
That's a really cool rule, actually. If you're up a point or two late and you're good at taking care of the ball, you can keep drawing fouls, keep restarting the shot clock and keep the ball until the game is over. Man, the more I think about it, the more strategies I'm thinking about with this rule. I can't see any downside to this rule - it seems like it would be good for everyone - especially the fans.