Author Topic: Should Jaden Springer be playing more?  (Read 4336 times)

Should Jaden Springer be playing more?
« on: March 24, 2024, 01:32:44 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
I imagine most of us would agree that Jaden Springer was a total defensive mennace in the only time he got significant playing time in a game last week.

I'm wondering if Joe realized it too? Because he hasn't played him since, except in late-game, garbage-time minutes.

I feel he could help this team come playoff time by guarding one of the better shooters on the opposing team.
Now would be the time to experiment and find out how well he fits in with the starters or second team.

On a similar note Queta played well too. Why isn't he getting more time? Can he be signed to a regular spot and play in the playoffs?

Re: Should Jaden Springer be playing more?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 03:21:05 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Yes,  the same as Joe should have played Pritchard, Hauser, Grant, etc. last season.
Just see what happens when you give these guys consistent minutes that they can count on, they often develop into solid players.
Pritchard and Hauser could start on some teams in the league right now and who would have thought ?
Play Springer, Tillman and Que more, I think all those guys can be solid contributors.
Along with Kornet, our bench might become a real asset.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 05:06:35 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
Speaking of Queta, I don't understand why he fell COMPLETELY off Mazzulla's radar. He was playing fairly well in the beginning of the season.

I get that Kornet started playing better and better and deserved more minutes. However, Queta adds a quicker, change-of-pace dimension on both offence and defense which throws opponents off balance. His play could come in handy when playing good shooting teams. Why isn't he on the 15 man roster?

At times, I thought he was the best defensive big on the team. Why he suddenly got demoted to an end of the bench role baffles me. Maybe Brad thought Tillman would be a better a fit as he is a stronger player. On the other hand, Queta is more intimidating.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 06:09:34 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I like Big Q better than Tillman but as a fan , I’m not there every practice or see what the coaches see
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 07:52:29 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yes,  the same as Joe should have played Pritchard, Hauser, Grant, etc. last season.
Just see what happens when you give these guys consistent minutes that they can count on, they often develop into solid players.
Pritchard and Hauser could start on some teams in the league right now and who would have thought ?
Play Springer, Tillman and Que more, I think all those guys can be solid contributors.
Along with Kornet, our bench might become a real asset.
I agree and, with Horford, this team is eight-deep in starter-level players. Then throw in some minutes for Kornet/Tillman. There's not many minutes left for Springer and other deep bench players.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 08:49:29 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We're not gonna play a 12 man rotation in the playoffs. Well play out top 8 with the occasional sprinkling of one of Kornet/Tillman/Brissett. No one else is going to play except in garbage time.

We didn't get Springer to be a difference maker this year, we got him for next year (and maybe after that too).
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 09:46:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We're not gonna play a 12 man rotation in the playoffs. Well play out top 8 with the occasional sprinkling of one of Kornet/Tillman/Brissett. No one else is going to play except in garbage time.

We didn't get Springer to be a difference maker this year, we got him for next year (and maybe after that too).

I agree. Springer looks lost and lacks confidence. He’s a project for next year. Needs to develop a shot if he’s to make it.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 10:28:31 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I see no reason to worry about how much playing time that Jaden Springer is getting.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Not that it’s a huge deal, but Joe substituted Springer in for the final 4 seconds of the 3rd quarter solely for the purpose of guarding DeRozan after Pritchard’s free throw - to prevent a good look to end the quarter.  Springer defended well!

My guess is that Joe will use Springer in specific circumstances like above. Obviously not a huge role but maybe one that makes a difference in a game over the course of the playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 11:50:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think we need to find minutes for Springer or Queta.  We already have a capable 9 or 10 man rotation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 12:04:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I like him in the original Avery Bradley role .  A fierce lockdown in your face annoying defender, especially on the Butler / DeRozen stars that hate guys in their face without letup.

He adds a disruptive element to certain opponents line ups and energy to our offensive minded guys.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 12:07:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I like Big Q better than Tillman but as a fan , I’m not there every practice or see what the coaches see

I like both . But like you , I see the Big Q as the better asset , if he can prove to be healthy. He is such a load under the rim and loves contact.  ;D

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 01:52:58 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

I feel it would be a mistake not to play either Springer or Queta (if he can signed to take part in the playoffs). They both bring a mystical dynamics to the Celtics style of play.

When Springer focuses, he's as good or even better than Holiday in locking down opponents. In the earlier Detroit(?) game, one could see opponents wanted no part of him. They often gave up the ball as quickly as they could.

Queta also brings a Marcus Smart/Robert Williams dimension to the Celtics style of play.

I feel they both could tribute significantly in the playoffs. Obviously, Joe disagrees.   

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2024, 03:00:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Not that it’s a huge deal, but Joe substituted Springer in for the final 4 seconds of the 3rd quarter solely for the purpose of guarding DeRozan after Pritchard’s free throw - to prevent a good look to end the quarter.  Springer defended well!

My guess is that Joe will use Springer in specific circumstances like above. Obviously not a huge role but maybe one that makes a difference in a game over the course of the playoffs.

Good point.

I do think Springer and Queta are two nice developmental pieces to have, when you consider a few guys like Horford and Holiday may not be here 3+ years from now + the luxury tax implications. Similar to Hauser in 2021 who has now grown into a very solid role player, Springer and Queta can do the same. I think Springer's defense can be really good and even for a few spot minutes he's not terrible out there. We have a lot of scoring/talent but there will be moments where we need to get stops too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2024, 07:38:03 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

That is a good use of Springer, but it probably isn't necessary if Holiday is playing.  The bottom line is that there is no role for Springer, not really in the regular season and definitely not in the playoffs.  There is no reason to play him, just to play him.  If instances like this end of period defender come up, great, use him.  But there is no broader role for him this season.  He may work himself into a role for next season, but I see no scenario this season.