Celtics Basketball > Game Threads

Conduct In The Game Threads Forum

<< < (2/16) > >>

Roy Hobbs:

--- Quote from: Chief on January 21, 2010, 11:10:14 PM ---This confuses me very much. I've been a very regular poster in the game thread forum for years. I enjoy bashing Doc's bad decisions and Scals poor play as much as I love praising Rondo and KG for all the things they do right. I hope all of this stuff is still legal. But I see posters calling out other posters for negative comments about the C's poor play. And I think that is where the fighting starts. IMO, if you don't like something negative someone writes, ignore it.  :-\

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure what I write is legal. I think it is but I'm not sure. I'm not always positive and I'm sure something I have written has provoked an angry response. But I love this Celtics as much as anyone on this site and think I contribute as best I can.

--- End quote ---

Nobody is saying that people can't critique the team, point out flaws, or express frustration.  Our concern is in-fighting and nastiness.  A lot of what has gone on in the game threads lately has trended perilously close to the lines of trolling, baiting, and hijacking.  Predictably, people are responding to that, and things are quickly getting out of hand.

I'm a frequenter of the game threads myself.  In recent weeks, they've been more caustic than at any time since I've been on this blog, and that's not the type of community we're trying to promote.  People can disagree about the team's play, the direction of the team, Doc's decisions, etc.  What they can't do -- regardless of viewpoint -- is disrespect the opinions of other fans.

Roy Hobbs:
As an example of one type of comment that we find distasteful, we've seen a lot statements like "This team sucks, and if you can't see it, you're wearing green-colored glasses" or "... if you can't see it, you're not watching the games" or, essentially, " ... if you can't see it, you're a moron". 

Statements like those all fall firmly within the "Do not label fellow posters in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response" category.

Thruthelookingglass:
It may be time for another reminder.  At least a couple good C-Blog members posted yesterday that they'd had enough of the perpetual griping and defeatism on the game thread. 

Now I have too. 

Several years ago I started hanging out on the game thread (yes, regular season too) and learned to see and interpret games better.  I understood the games and the game of basketball more thoroughly thanks to the other members on game thread.  Today, and for me personally, the bad now far outweighs the good.  The griping and sniping clutter the posts, while the really insightful posts have become fewer and fewer as fans--C-Blog fans--appear to be leaving.

Some will suggest that if I can't stand the heat I should get out of the kitchen, and that's fine.  My interest in the thread started to wane last year.  In my own mind, I'm leaving the kitchen again because it has deteriorated to the point where there's little to be gained by staying.  Hoped it would be like the old days during the playoffs, but I guess not.  I will miss the camaraderie and the basketball acumen I enjoyed from other C-bloggers, but most of that is already gone already.  Just see the date of the OP to see how long the decline has been.

Moderators, I can't really ask that you do more than you already do, but it would be wonderful if somehow the game thread as a resource and community could be revived. 

GreenFaith1819:

--- Quote from: Thruthelookingglass on May 04, 2011, 06:26:58 PM ---It may be time for another reminder.  At least a couple good C-Blog members posted yesterday that they'd had enough of the perpetual griping and defeatism on the game thread. 

Now I have too. 

Several years ago I started hanging out on the game thread (yes, regular season too) and learned to see and interpret games better.  I understood the games and the game of basketball more thoroughly thanks to the other members on game thread.  Today, and for me personally, the bad now far outweighs the good.  The griping and sniping clutter the posts, while the really insightful posts have become fewer and fewer as fans--C-Blog fans--appear to be leaving.

Some will suggest that if I can't stand the heat I should get out of the kitchen, and that's fine.  My interest in the thread started to wane last year.  In my own mind, I'm leaving the kitchen again because it has deteriorated to the point where there's little to be gained by staying.  Hoped it would be like the old days during the playoffs, but I guess not.  I will miss the camaraderie and the basketball acumen I enjoyed from other C-bloggers, but most of that is already gone already.  Just see the date of the OP to see how long the decline has been.

Moderators, I can't really ask that you do more than you already do, but it would be wonderful if somehow the game thread as a resource and community could be revived. 

--- End quote ---

This...is some of the reason why I don't post here quite as much anymore.

nickagneta:

--- Quote from: Thruthelookingglass on May 04, 2011, 06:26:58 PM ---It may be time for another reminder.  At least a couple good C-Blog members posted yesterday that they'd had enough of the perpetual griping and defeatism on the game thread. 

Now I have too. 

--- End quote ---
TP and amen to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version