Author Topic: Kevin Garnett is untradable  (Read 6927 times)

Kevin Garnett is untradable
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
In considering possible destinations for the 'Big 3', it's relatively easy to come up with fits for either Paul or Ray.

On the other hand, KG is essentially untradable based on the size of his salary and the fact that the Cs won't want to take back long term commitment in return, unless they know they're getting an expiring deal back for Pierce. even in this case its still far-fetched based on lack of CBA fit and / or need across appropriate contenders.

Can anyone see an example of where KG could be moved? From a value perspective, I'd prefer to see Ray (of all the Big 3) stick around and sign next year for cheap to play with Rondo, whoever we acquire via trade, picks and a FA or two, but i think the most likely one to actually expire in Boston is KG.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:15:11 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Kevin Garnett is untradable
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
That has been my view on KG up to this point as well. 

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah, he's not going anywhere because of the size of his contract.

If his contract was smaller he'd be just as valuable as Ray at this point for a contender.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Yeah, he's not going anywhere because of the size of his contract.

If his contract was smaller he'd be just as valuable as Ray at this point for a contender.

agreed - thinking it but didn't say it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
I think Ray would have demand from several teams to provide scoring off the bench, and play many crunch time minutes with the first unit.  But aside from KG's contract I don't think any contending teams would see him as an upgrade at their 4 spots.  His production is way down and he's always a health concern; not exactly a desirable combination.  You'd basically have to swap one bad contract for another to move KG (like the Arenas/Rashard trade).

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think Ray would have demand from several teams to provide scoring off the bench, and play many crunch time minutes with the first unit.  But aside from KG's contract I don't think any contending teams would see him as an upgrade at their 4 spots.  His production is way down and he's always a health concern; not exactly a desirable combination.  You'd basically have to swap one bad contract for another to move KG (like the Arenas/Rashard trade).

as a 3-month rental, many teams would be interested in him. my point is more that there's no way to make the trade conditions work with one of those teams in a way that Danny Ainge would consider in terms of return.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:18:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think Ray would have demand from several teams to provide scoring off the bench, and play many crunch time minutes with the first unit.  But aside from KG's contract I don't think any contending teams would see him as an upgrade at their 4 spots.  His production is way down and he's always a health concern; not exactly a desirable combination.  You'd basically have to swap one bad contract for another to move KG (like the Arenas/Rashard trade).
I think you severely under rate KG, even with his declining play. He'd be a large upgrade for a lot of teams, not with their starters at PF perhaps but certainly as the third big man in their rotation at either PF/C spot as needed.

If he had a moveable contract a rental or a pick and/or player would be very possible. But he doesn't so that's not a realistic option for the C's even if they do blow it up.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he's definitely tradable, but all in bad deals for the C's.  He's a huge contract off the books at the end of the year.  He'd be appealing to someone else looking to shed salary this year which means the C's would have to take on another year for at least 1 player --> C's would probably have to take back multiple players to reach that contract amount and at least one would have a longer deal.  

Not that there's a lot worth signing in the FA market this year so having the money frred up for the following year is still a good thing.  the thing is the C's would have to get back some really good assets to make that deal worthwhile  such as a high pick (or two) and/or a really good prospect.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Garnett, Bradley for Camby, Felton, Protected 1st or Camby, Matthews

there are a few other possibilities that make sense but require the C's to take on salary at least next year (which I would be ok with in the right trade) like Williams and Smith from Atlanta or something like that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
I think you severely under rate KG, even with his declining play. He'd be a large upgrade for a lot of teams, not with their starters at PF perhaps but certainly as the third big man in their rotation at either PF/C spot as needed.

We agree on what his value would be to a contending team (not a starting caliber player).  My point is if that's how the other team sees him there is absolutely no way to make the contract values work out to make a deal.  KG is at $20m; you need to take back some significant contracts in return, which means either very good players or the C's taking on bad contacts.  I don't see either of those scenarios happening as they're not in the best interest of either side; making KG untradable.  

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Garnett, Bradley for Camby, Felton, Protected 1st or Camby, Matthews

there are a few other possibilities that make sense but require the C's to take on salary at least next year (which I would be ok with in the right trade) like Williams and Smith from Atlanta or something like that.

don't think POR would trade Matthews and Camby for Garnett. don't think Ainge would be interested in Smith & Williams for Garnett.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 11:48:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
That has been my view on KG up to this point as well. 

Me too.  He just makes too much money (and even has a trade kicker), and doesn't bring enough to the table to come up with many teams that make sense for both teams.  Either the C's would have to take on bad contracts, or the other team would have to give up a player more valuable than KG to make the trade happen.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Can anyone see an example of where KG could be moved?

A power forward or center with a big contract on a contender tears both ACLs and that team is skeptical enough about that player's ability to recover for next season and beyond that they would rather dump his contract and take one year of KG, with the possibility of signing Garnett for another year or two after this season.

After the Perk trade, I think a lot of GMs will be wary about shaking up their teams mid-season.  KG would have been tradeable during a normal off-season, but that was taken away by the lockout.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
The only trade I could think of would be for Rashard's contract and something outstanding to go along with it to make giving up all that cap space worth while.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

We agree on what his value would be to a contending team (not a starting caliber player).  
Not what I was getting at.

I think he's very much a starting caliber PF/C for a title team. Its just that several title teams have PF and/or Cs that they'd keep starting. (Bosh, Boozer, Randolph, Gasol) but Kg would play a lot for those teams and could start for most of the other teams looking to make a title run.