Author Topic: CP3 to the Knicks (trade idea, no base to this at all)  (Read 3810 times)

CP3 to the Knicks (trade idea, no base to this at all)
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:40:43 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
So I wanna make this clear; absolutely no buzz to this, not a rumor at all. Just me thinking about 2010 free agency while bored at work.

CP3 to the Knicks, doesn't that make a lot of sense?

The Knicks are going to want to make a big splash this summer, and the Hornets have two pretty good point guards (Paul being absolutely fantastic) who could use a scorer.

Therefore wouldn't a sign & trade based around CP3 for Joe Johnson/Bosh/Amare make a lot of sense for both teams? Huge splash for New York, gives New Orleans another positional player making them a pretty decent team.

There's outside complications such as the importance CP3 has to New Orleans, and a max player willing to go down there. But to me, basketball wise, it makes a lot of sense to all parties.

Thoughts?

Re: CP3 to the Knicks (trade idea, no base to this at all)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If CP3 is on the market, I would hope Danny would make a call on that one. He is one of the players I would consider a bridge to the future.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:01:49 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's an interesting idea, but not quite by the way you proposed it.

I believe there are restrictions on sign and trading another team's free agent, so NY can't use cap space to sign and trade Amare, JJ, etc.

However, NY does want to make a splash and has no problem spending money. If they see that their capspace is not luring a big FA, and if N.O. really is looking at a terrible financial bind, because NY is so far under the cap, depending on where the cap lands, NY could could offer to give up, say, tony douglas and take back CP3, Posey, and Peja. NY would then have one legit franchise player and a legit franchise coach. They could then try and use Peja's then-expiring deal to get a longer contract but better player in return. NO, in turn, would be looking at building around Wright, Collison, Douglas, Thornton, West, and their pick this year with 30 million being just wiped off their payroll.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah Im pretty sure you can only sign and trade your own free agent.... Maybe Im mistaken? But I dont recall any situation where a team has signed someone from a different team and then traded them to in fact another team...I am pretty sure there are restrictions on that...

Also, to reply to the other reply, we already have a point guard for the future. I know CP3 is good, but Rondo is capable of running the show, plus he has a ring. Does CP3 have one?

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
not havin a ring does not mean u aint  better than the next balla..

cp over rondo?...lol

sure~

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So I wanna make this clear; absolutely no buzz to this, not a rumor at all. Just me thinking about 2010 free agency while bored at work.

CP3 to the Knicks, doesn't that make a lot of sense?

The Knicks are going to want to make a big splash this summer, and the Hornets have two pretty good point guards (Paul being absolutely fantastic) who could use a scorer.

Therefore wouldn't a sign & trade based around CP3 for Joe Johnson/Bosh/Amare make a lot of sense for both teams? Huge splash for New York, gives New Orleans another positional player making them a pretty decent team.

There's outside complications such as the importance CP3 has to New Orleans, and a max player willing to go down there. But to me, basketball wise, it makes a lot of sense to all parties.

Thoughts?

I think CP3 to Boston sounds alot better to me than him going to the lowly Knicks, don't you think?

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah Im pretty sure you can only sign and trade your own free agent.... Maybe Im mistaken? But I dont recall any situation where a team has signed someone from a different team and then traded them to in fact another team...I am pretty sure there are restrictions on that...

Also, to reply to the other reply, we already have a point guard for the future. I know CP3 is good, but Rondo is capable of running the show, plus he has a ring. Does CP3 have one?

Sorry but if I had a choice, I'd pick Paul over Rondo in a heartbeat. Paul is everything Rondo is and can also shoot on top of that.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

I think if you sign another team's free agent you must wait 3 months or until dec. 15, whichever is later, to trade him.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

Silliest trendy statement in all of sports right now. Scal has a ring and LBJ doesn't. so who would you rather have? Rings mean nothing when scouting a player for the future.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 12:00:20 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not impossible, right? You'd probably just have to make it a 3 way deal with the current max-player's team.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Silliest trendy statement in all of sports right now. Scal has a ring and LBJ doesn't. so who would you rather have? Rings mean nothing when scouting a player for the future.

I'd definitely prefer Scal over Lebron. Same with Scott Pollard. Actually Bill Russell has a few rings, i think i'd take him over Lebron too

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I don't think Rondo over CP3 talk is all that outrageous, btw. Skill wise, Paul's much, much better but CP3's health problems have to be somewhat of a concern.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »

Offline el.celta

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Chris Paul would be better in the Miami Heat with Wade.
and New York together Lebron James and Joe Johnson!

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Chris Paul would be better in the Miami Heat with Wade.
Why do you think that?

Both Wade and Paul are at their best with the ball in their hands, not to mention that Wade often plays the PG position anyways. They both are so talented that they'd make it work, but I don't think its a more natural fit.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 03:01:38 PM »

Offline aman

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
the market, I would hope Danny would make a call on that one. He is one of the players I would consider a bridge to the future.