Author Topic: Should we expect a huge trade at the deadline next season??  (Read 3912 times)

Should we expect a huge trade at the deadline next season??
« on: October 18, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Are the Celtics set up for a huge trade mid way through the 2009-2010 season? I was just glancing over at their salary page on Hoopshype,

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

and noticed just how many expiring contracts that they have expiring at the end of next season. Clearly they can't trade everyone. But with the free agent class of 2010 being so spectacular,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

and because of the salary implications the Celtics are in and wouldn't be able to go after any of said free agents(once again referencing maybe the greatest article ever on this site, Roy's Salarycap FAQ's),

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=20970.0

will the Celtics do the next best thing and trade expiring contracts for stars and/or superstars that teams want to jettison for cap space to go after a LeBron, Bosh, Dirk, Yao, T-Mac, Wade, Amare, or Manu? Or knowing that one of those teams will be losing that player, will a team be willing to depart with a superstar, whom we could then hopefully extend before they reach free agency, for something in return?

The possibilities are endless. Personally, if Dallas was ever going to move people for space to go after people that off season, I'd welcome the Celtics trying to pry Josh Howard from their grasps and extending him.

Thoughts?

Re: Should we expect a huge trade at the deadline next season??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:13:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its definitely a possibility.  It is maybe even more likely that they make a relatively big trade in the offseason. 

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
with danny, (cue in kg for this line...) anythings possible!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 02:56:12 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I would be very surprised if we made a major deal at the trade deadline next season.  I expect us to contend for a championship this season and next.  I know Danny has said how he wouldn't hesitate to trade an expiring deal (no matter who it is) if it meant we could extend our championship-caliber play, but I just highly doubt that he would do a deal mid-season.  If we win the title this year then there is no way he will trade anyone important IMO.

The only way I see a mid-season blockbuster going down is if we get off to a slow start, next year, and are clearly on the decline.  And he would only do this if he could get a moderately young star in return for a good deal (meaning the star would have to be unhappy in their current situation and the team is looking to move on).  He would then make a package around Ray and his expiring deal.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
There's excellent flexibility there .... but the Celtics will also be running for a Championship so it would have to be one heck of an offer to break up their Title winning nucleus.

So likelihood of it happening? Who knows, too early.

It's great that the team has the option (flexibility) though.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 03:37:52 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Remember, Danny has talked about how the old Celtics teams erred in not breaking up the Big Three when they still had value.  Ultimately, though, what matters is how well they're playing, if they're still looking like a top contender for the title I think it would be tough to make a deal.  With Ray Allen expiring in two years, you have to think about whether you're going to be able to (and whether you want to) re-sign him; I wonder whether he might push for an extension after this season? 

I mean, Ray's the guy that's most likely to go.  Pierce will retire a Celtic, and KG's the one who makes everything else possible.  I love Ray, but I wonder whether, in a year and a half, you might be looking to trade him for someone like a Michael Redd (a bit younger, under contract one more year, perfect in that #3 role as the outside shooter). 

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Thing is, Ray Allen has never really brought much in return anytime he has been traded. So I don't know why we think we are going to get a whole lot if we decide to trade him.
I suppose the expiring big contract could make him more valuable as a trade asset but I'd rather have the money and then resign him to a veteran minimum or something.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Remember, Danny has talked about how the old Celtics teams erred in not breaking up the Big Three when they still had value.  Ultimately, though, what matters is how well they're playing, if they're still looking like a top contender for the title I think it would be tough to make a deal.  With Ray Allen expiring in two years, you have to think about whether you're going to be able to (and whether you want to) re-sign him; I wonder whether he might push for an extension after this season? 

I mean, Ray's the guy that's most likely to go.  Pierce will retire a Celtic, and KG's the one who makes everything else possible.  I love Ray, but I wonder whether, in a year and a half, you might be looking to trade him for someone like a Michael Redd (a bit younger, under contract one more year, perfect in that #3 role as the outside shooter). 
I don't know about trading him for Michael Redd.  I would prefer a guy who is a couple years younger and can (along with Rondo and Perk) be the future of this team. 
Thing is, Ray Allen has never really brought much in return anytime he has been traded. So I don't know why we think we are going to get a whole lot if we decide to trade him.
I suppose the expiring big contract could make him more valuable as a trade asset but I'd rather have the money and then resign him to a veteran minimum or something.

I highly doubt Ray would take the vet. minimum
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Well, when we traded for him he was viewed somewhat as damaged goods.  That's why someone like Redd sticks out to me; another very good player, but someone who's clearly overpaid for what they do (he's a perfect #3 guy, but not someone who you really want to build around as your main player).  The Bucks seem like a team that would be interested in saving some $$ (even if they aren't in the running for any of the 2010 free agents), and the deal works straight-up.  Maybe a pick going back to them.

My preference at this point is to keep Ray around and have him sign an extension.  He won't be at the minimum; with two more years on his legs, seems like he'd command a couple years at the full MLE, maybe a bit more.  I could see a 2 year/$15M extension for Ray.  But, it all depends on how gracefully his game ages, if he does prove to be a Reggie Miller type (my expectation) or if he loses his legs and therefore his jump shot.  

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not proposing a Ray-for-Redd deal, but that's something that seems like it MIGHT make sense in eighteen months.  Redd will still be in his prime, Ray'll be coming off of his, and I can see Redd fitting into Ray's role on the team pretty easily.  Today - this season - I'll stick with Ray Allen, but he can't play forever.