Author Topic: Adam Morrison  (Read 14013 times)

Re: Adam Morrison
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I don't know what you guys are talking about.  He was a candidate for rookie of the year his only season in the league.  He certainly wasn't worth a 3rd overall pick but is a far better player than Scal.

He was a rookie of the year candidate for some of the year in one of the worst rookie classes ever.  His only skill is scoring and he did not do that very well and very inefficiently shooting 38% from the field and 71% from the line.  He did nothing else, in 30 minutes as game he got a whopping 3 rebounds and 2 assists while and a season of steals and block that can nearly be counted on two hands all the while playing epically bad defense.  If Scal was allowed take 12 shots a game in 30 minutes he would score right about the same as Morrison, but get many more rebounds and play better defense, get as many assists and many more blocks and steals.  Dont get me wrong, Scal is awful, but Morrison is very passive out there, and he was that way in college too except when trying to score himself.

TP, hankfinkel.  My thoughts exactly - the guy came in with one transferable skill (shooting) and nothing else, and his shooting wasn't bad - it was atrocious (true shooting of 45 percent as a rookie).  The "nothing else" remained constant.

I'm not saying there isn't plenty of time for improvement, but I wouldn't bet on it with his current skill set and physique.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 06:34:37 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
Durant's numbers were terrible until about march as well.  Guys that are built like morrison, and durant have one of the steepest learning curves on how they are going to score in the NBA.  Now I'm not saying that Morrison is the player that Durant is but they build wise, fundamentals and length they are similar.  Durant is more athletic but not terribly so, plus Morrison has an insationable desire to win. I think if we could trade Scally wags, Davis, and a 2nd rounder, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Outside shooting is something this team is sorely lacking off the bench and we wouldnt be losing a rotation player.  However I dont think the bobcats would do that because Morrisons contract is up the same time as Scals anyways. 

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 06:58:56 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I don't know what you guys are talking about.  He was a candidate for rookie of the year his only season in the league.  He certainly wasn't worth a 3rd overall pick but is a far better player than Scal.

He was a rookie of the year candidate for some of the year in one of the worst rookie classes ever.  His only skill is scoring and he did not do that very well and very inefficiently shooting 38% from the field and 71% from the line.  He did nothing else, in 30 minutes as game he got a whopping 3 rebounds and 2 assists while and a season of steals and block that can nearly be counted on two hands all the while playing epically bad defense.  If Scal was allowed take 12 shots a game in 30 minutes he would score right about the same as Morrison, but get many more rebounds and play better defense, get as many assists and many more blocks and steals.  Dont get me wrong, Scal is awful, but Morrison is very passive out there, and he was that way in college too except when trying to score himself.

Scal could never score 11 PPG let alone in his rookie season.  Scal shot 30% last season.  If he were to play 30 minutes and take 12 shots per game he probably couldn't even break 25%. 

Morrison is a talented offensive player (he was a good passer in college) and he has the skills to be a good rebounder and solid defender.  I just dont think its fair to write him off (as a Scal) after one season.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 07:03:43 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
I don't know what you guys are talking about.  He was a candidate for rookie of the year his only season in the league.  He certainly wasn't worth a 3rd overall pick but is a far better player than Scal.

He was a rookie of the year candidate for some of the year in one of the worst rookie classes ever.  His only skill is scoring and he did not do that very well and very inefficiently shooting 38% from the field and 71% from the line.  He did nothing else, in 30 minutes as game he got a whopping 3 rebounds and 2 assists while and a season of steals and block that can nearly be counted on two hands all the while playing epically bad defense.  If Scal was allowed take 12 shots a game in 30 minutes he would score right about the same as Morrison, but get many more rebounds and play better defense, get as many assists and many more blocks and steals.  Dont get me wrong, Scal is awful, but Morrison is very passive out there, and he was that way in college too except when trying to score himself.

Scal could never score 11 PPG let alone in his rookie season.  Scal shot 30% last season.  If he were to play 30 minutes and take 12 shots per game he probably couldn't even break 25%. 

Morrison is a talented offensive player (he was a good passer in college) and he has the skills to be a good rebounder and solid defender.  I just dont think its fair to write him (as a Scal) after one season.

Shook, I'll agree with the sentiment of giving the guy some time, though it's my contention that we'll find Morrison to be a big-time bust in the long term.

That said, what is the basis for your assessment regarding his having the skills to be a solid defender at this level?    Most of his time in his rookie season was spent between the three and the four.  He doesn't have anything close to acceptable speed to guard threes across the league, and at 205 pounds, I'm not buying that he has the strength to bang with fours.

-sw

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

Morrison is a talented offensive player (he was a good passer in college) and he has the skills to be a good rebounder and solid defender.  I just dont think its fair to write him (as a Scal) after one season.

Shook, I'll agree with the sentiment of giving the guy some time, though it's my contention that we'll find Morrison to be a big-time bust in the long term.

That said, what is the basis for your assessment regarding his having the skills to be a solid defender at this level?    Most of his time in his rookie season was spent between the three and the four.  He doesn't have anything close to acceptable speed to guard threes across the league, and at 205 pounds, I'm not buying that he has the strength to bang with fours.

-sw
I know people always say he is a terrible athlete but when I saw him at Gonzaga (I'll admit I didn't watch him play much for the Bobcats) he seemed like a good enough athlete to me.  He has pretty good length and IMO a lot of defense is desire.  Morrison is certainly not lacking in desire and that is the main reason why I think he will still be a solid player.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »

Offline hankfinkel

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 36
Durant's numbers were terrible until about march as well.  Guys that are built like morrison, and durant have one of the steepest learning curves on how they are going to score in the NBA.  Now I'm not saying that Morrison is the player that Durant is but they build wise, fundamentals and length they are similar.  Durant is more athletic but not terribly so, plus Morrison has an insationable desire to win. I think if we could trade Scally wags, Davis, and a 2nd rounder, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Outside shooting is something this team is sorely lacking off the bench and we wouldnt be losing a rotation player.  However I dont think the bobcats would do that because Morrisons contract is up the same time as Scals anyways. 

If Morrison had an insatiable desire to win, he'd bang the boards a little, look for teammates, and dig in better on defense.  In the midst of a POY season at Gonzaga his own coach called him out for his defensive effort.  He's emotional, yes, but I think that gets mistaken for somehow wanting to win more than the other guy.  He either does not care about the team concept and what it takes to win or just does not quite get it, viewing himself as a shooter and that being enough.  

If anyone wanted to swap Scal for him, there's very little harm done there, so fine.  But BB?  I am not a big Davis fan, and with Powe I think he is a logical trade piece, but he is a better player than Morrison at this level.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego

-sw
I know people always say he is a terrible athlete but when I saw him at Gonzaga (I'll admit I didn't watch him play much for the Bobcats) he seemed like a good enough athlete to me.  He has pretty good length and IMO a lot of defense is desire.  Morrison is certainly not lacking in desire and that is the main reason why I think he will still be a solid player.

I'll back you for sure on the idea that desire is a big part of playing defense, and I'll agree that Morrison has some of the trait in general.  But I'm not sure how much it manifests itself on the defensive end, and there also comes a point at which the athleticism comes into play, and I think he might be a bit too far lacking for someone who strikes me as though the desire is there offensively but not as much on D.  He can't afford that.

-sw

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 10:17:46 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
the 'stache would look nice on this team because he could be a role player...forget his draft status - he was an obvious bust.  but i'd love him coming off the bench as a shooter.

shoot, i'd trade scalabrine to the bobcats for adam morrison's grandmother at this point...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
While I am not a Morrison fan, I have to say that he went from a motion offense where he was running off picks(ala Rip Hamilton)to a whole different half court set with the Bobcats.

That fact and the addition of his being a rookie account for the poor shooting IMO. He is a shooter who would benefit and thrive on a team opposite a superstar that drew a double team leaving him open. The Bobcats did not have that player and did not have a good enough PG to get him the ball when he was open.

The other issue is his health, is he healthy? That or he is a pain in the backside could be initiating a trade possibility as well. Still, I would pass on Morrison if it cost us a 1st rounder. Scal, Pruitt and BBD are easily replaceable.

His upside is Wesley Person IMO. The draft pick is much more valuable. 8)

"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 11:13:14 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
First Kwame, then Morrison, what is MJ's next move?

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 11:18:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't get the concept of trading a redheaded Scalabrine, BBD and others for a dark haired Scalabrine with a funny mustache.

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't get the concept of trading a redheaded Scalabrine, BBD and others for a dark haired Scalabrine with a funny mustache.
You must be kidding, anyone can see it!?!  It was obviously because of the mustache.  Not just anyone can pull off the "14 year old trying to grow a **** star mustache" look.  When you find someone like that, you need to do everything within your power to get him on your team. 

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17

I'll back you for sure on the idea that desire is a big part of playing defense, and I'll agree that Morrison has some of the trait in general.  But I'm not sure how much it manifests itself on the defensive end, and there also comes a point at which the athleticism comes into play, and I think he might be a bit too far lacking for someone who strikes me as though the desire is there offensively but not as much on D.  He can't afford that.

-sw
He's only played one year in the league, I think that the defense will come.  A lot of guys come into the league and don't play D.  He understands spacing, and tempo, its not like hes ignorant to the game (i.e. Gerald) so I think that he'll be a fine team defender.  Look at Acie Law, he had a bad rookie year, and pretty much all of it is being placed on confidence and not being able to go from a star to a role player.  I think Acie Law will be great this year after figuring out how and when to score in the NBA.  I think the same of Adam Morrison.

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 03:14:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
While he was not worthy of such a high pick (nice job, again, Michael Jordan), he has played too little to worthy of such extensive bashing on this board.  Give him another year or two of playing healthy to properly measure the level of catastrope that pick was.

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Its also a rumor that Morrison is still big into chew and smoking on a regular basis.  And yes I know I'm sure 85% of the league smokes but thats not what I want on my team if that is true.