Poll

Would you trade him for a future pick or a bench player?

Yes
No
Depends on what we can get back

Author Topic: Trade Giddens?  (Read 8535 times)

Re: Trade Giddens?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 05:40:14 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I would like to see what JR is actually capable of before talking about trading him.  He only played 4 minutes.  Also I don't want to get too excited about Walker after just one game.

Ditto. The Walker fan boys are jumping all over Giddens. ::). Walker didn't do anything Giddens can't do with the exception of the dunk on Ratliff, and Giddens is known to be a vicious dunker himself. Walker's performance yesterday was a good showing, but he just finished the plays he was supposed to. He caught an Alley-oop, he finished a lay-up, hit some free throws, and had a emphatic dunk on Theo.

I don't know what suggest he's already a level above Giddens or so much farther in development.

i think the awnser would be one couldn't buy his way onto the court post training camp, and one is buried on the bench and his coach has said he doesn't "get it" yet.

that being said, he played real well in his limited minutes, and im pretty against trading a 1st rounder based on 4 freaking minutes in a preseason game, and one that played well in his 4 minutes at that.

also, giddens is a SG more than a SF, and walker is a SF more than a SG, so i dont think that they are necessarily exclusive to one another.

honestly, i'd like to try to move big baby, not that i think he's a bad player or anything, but we have leon, im with roy on him not being super impressive,  but i know i'd be burned in effergy by the big baby crowd.

but for me, trade scal and baby in a package,

Doc only suggested Giddens was a little behind. The general view, on these boards, from what I've seen today seems to be that Giddens is lost out there, and way behind development wise. Some people suggested he looked lost yesterday which he didn't he looked very focused and made some defensive plays right when he got in.

On the poll I said I'd trade Giddens depending on what we get, but that's the same for Walker. These two are still in the same boat, in my opinion.

well let me ask you this, since you wan to take that as a suggestion.

out of the two rookies, who got played a good stretch and who barley saw the floor?

seems right in line with doc's "suggestion" to me.

So in your mind Walker getting more minutes in a preseason game means he's a level above Giddens?

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Lets see what Giddens has throughout the rest of camp. After all his trade value is probably $200K or a future mid 2nd round pick... in other words not much.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Way too early.  Remember, there are games when even Garnett, Pierce, and Allen look bad, and they get a lot more than 4 minutes to show their stuff.  I'd wait a while.  For all we know, Giddens looks great next game and Walker looks like crap. 

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »

Offline woodsie

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
What about the D League?

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 07:49:37 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Last year at this time(and for the first few months) Big Baby was looking much better then Leon Powe. By the end of the year, Powe ended up the better player of the two. You can't rush to decisions.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »

Offline mhbhaecceity09

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
First, I'm on board with those who say we're overreacting.  Giddens will be a rotation player in the NBA, at worst, and Walker should be too.  That's pretty good for where they were drafted though especially noteworthy in the case of Walker.  There's little reason to believe that Giddens can't be an excellent slasher, rebounder, and defender at the two spot with his athleticism and past productivity at a high college level.  Whether he blossoms into a team leader or a top 3 guy on a really good team is another matter but there's no reason to throw him away when we can jettison Scal.

Second, we should be impressed by Walker.  He's several years younger than Giddens, was highly touted during and coming out of high school, and has been largely slowed by injuries that some believed would limit his trademark athleticism.  He's come in and worked hard, by all accounts exhibited a tremendous attitude and sense of purpose during training camp, and appears to have regained much of his other worldly athleticism.  And injuries have not only prevented his physical development but also his maturation as a ball player.  Under these circumstances, Walker's stepping onto the court in his first exhibition game as a force certainly exceeds all reasonable expectations.

We may have a steal in one, or both, of them but there's no sense in constructing our franchise's future at this point.   

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Alright. I didn't see the game besides highlights, but it's way to early to leave Giddens behind. Even though If I had to pick between the two, I would pick Walker as he has the NBA body already, and he has an inch or two on JR to be better at SF where we need him, or go up and play some PF.

Big Baby Davis...I understand the guy has a big frame, but I still see him as a short PF that plays hard but won't be missed as much if he was traded.

Scal...he's a wasted contract, as said 100x before. So here's what I see

At this point, officially Scal,Giddens,BBD,and Pruitt are expendable, and maybe Tony Allen if the trade was right. BUT, this time I'll stick up for Pruitt as we could use him more next year when Cassell starts coaching. And Tony Allen just might show up this year after being 100% healthy and confident.
Looking at the money stand point of salaries, Scal,JR,&BBD hold about 5 million this season. But what trades could we make to take advantage of that kind of money???

Orlando could take them for Adonal Foyle/Brian Cook or Cook/Bogans...
We throw in Tony Allen and take Nate Robinson/Jared Jefferies contract from NY?
Chris Mihm/Ariza from LA..
Nets could take Tony Allen and give up Stromile Swift and Trenton Hassel..?
Any thoughts???????
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Weird thread idea.

First, OF COURSE we trade Giddens if there is a great offer. Problem is, there won't be.

Second, Giddens has more value to our staff than to other teams. That's why we drafted him. Best we get for him is a second round pick. What would be the point of that trade? I guess it could get our roster down to 15 and free us of a guaranteed contract for next year.

Third, why does Walker's development mean anything for Giddens' immediate future at this point? Unless you are worried about the extra roster spot.

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »

Offline Bozo

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I can't see DA trading Giddens.  He would not get anything for him.  He was projected as a second round pic.  Even though he may have drafted Giddens, thinking that he would loose TA.   With POB getting time at center, and Miles playing the 4 & 3, I think Davis may be at his peak value. Don't see him getting many minutes.  Miles/POB/Walker probably take over as your second unit front line.   

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:45 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No one would offer anything decent for him at this point; it wouldn't be worth it to trade him.  In all honesty, the Cs could *maybe* get a late 2nd rounder for him in a trade. Better to hold onto him and see how he develops.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The other part of the question, now that Ainge has seen him in the Celtics camp, how much does he think he is now worth?

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Man, Giddens is really, really talented and can do a lot of things...throwing him under the bus right now is drastically premature...

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker and Giddens are the starting 3 and 2 for this team 2 seasons from now...judging a rookie relative to vague media reports and 1 exhibition game is rough speculation...Giddens even had 2 steals and 3 really nice defensive plays in 4 minutes, but nobody wants to talk about that...

Why is everything "Player X vs. Player Y" on this board all the time?

If Walker,Giddens,and TA are the wing rotation in 2010 i'll be very happy-that's how much I think of JR Giddens--not everyone learns at the same rate...

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:25 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
...I'd also add that Danny Ainge's track record with draft picks should lend a great deal to the faith everyone should have in Giddens and his potential...since Ainge has been a full-time GM with a full season of scouting under his belt, (ie toss the Banks/Perk draft) he has whiffed on exactly one player drafted before the 50th pick - that being Gerald Green, who was very impressive this past summer and looks like he'll make it in the league - all his draft picks who've played in college have become contributing members to NBA teams...

Giddens was drafted in the first round, my guess is he'll be pretty good just by going off Ainge's results...the fact that JR IS good only further solidifies my opinion of him...

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
He's a D league guy for the start of the season, besides he just got a shamrock tattoo!  The guy I would try and move is Scal, they would of course have to probably throw someone else in that deal like Pruitt.

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Based on training camp hype and last night's game, it's O.K. to feel good about Bill Walker as a player.  Recall that he was the 47th player taken in the draft and by all accounts appears to have been a draft day steal.  What his eventual upside will be remains a mystery but in the interim, feel good that Danny found another "potential" gem late in the draft!

As for Giddens, don't be tempted to make a call on his potential until we see more.  In limited minutes he certainly was active and did fill the stat sheet. That he did nothing in spectacular fashion should not be a criticism.