Author Topic: Rumor (source unlisted): Celtics might acquire Steven Hunter  (Read 39752 times)

Rumor (source unlisted): Celtics might acquire Steven Hunter
« on: September 17, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
You can lock this thread, mods...

I'm not going to tell you who he is, all I can say is that he works at Healthpoint and some of the players know who he is personally.

I know him because I went to school with him (graduated HS with him...) and I've attended a couple Celtics games with him... I've known him since I was about 5.

Anyway, he told me that the real buzz isn't the signings of Darius Miles and O'Bryant and the alleged courting of Shaun Livingston (although Ainge did have interest)... he's saying that Ainge is trying to make a move for a big man... a 2 or 3 for 1 trade. Everyone on the team thought Powe and Pruitt were gone but the TB's ended up rejecting the offer to send Przybilla to Boston. Now it looks like those same two guys with Scal might be off to Denver for Steven Hunter. At least it's being discussed / on the table. We might hear about it sooner than later.

Trust me on this one.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:45:10 AM by Jeff »

• Jaylen Brown
Again, lock this thread if you want, because I don't want to incriminate him by exposing my source. BUT! You can shower me with TP's if / when we do hear about this publically.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The deli guy strikes again?
Yup

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I'm not going to tell you who he is, all I can say is that he works at Healthpoint and some of the players know who he is personally.

I know him because I went to school with him (graduated HS with him...) and I've attended a couple Celtics games with him... I've known him since I was about 5.

Anyway, he told me that the real buzz isn't the signings of Darius Miles and O'Bryant and the alleged courting of Shaun Livingston (although Ainge did have interest)... he's saying that Ainge is trying to make a move for a big man... a 2 or 3 for 1 trade. Everyone on the team thought Powe and Pruitt were gone but the TB's ended up rejecting the offer to send Przybilla to Boston. Now it looks like those same two guys with Scal might be off to Denver for Steven Hunter. At least it's being discussed / on the table. We might hear about it sooner than later.

Trust me on this one.

angie is going to trade leon powe away for stevan hunter? and denver, who is in full salary dump mode, is going to take a guy on a horrid contract?

I'll belive it when i see it.  ::)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The Przybilla trade offer makes a ton of sense for the C's, so I am not surprised at all at that...although I also am even less surprised that Portland turned it down, since they have too many young guys already on their roster, and are likely looking for 2 or 3 for 1 deals themselves.

The Hunter deal makes a lot less sense to me though.  He just isn't a very good player, and offering any more than Scal and maybe Pruitt doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Once someone like Powe gets thrown into the deal, it doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Trust me on this one.

angie is going to trade leon powe away for stevan hunter? and denver, who is in full salary dump mode, is going to take a guy on a horrid contract?

I'll belive it when i see it.  ::)

Well, Hunter is actually on a worse contract than Scal.  It is the same length, but he is making slightly more money...and I am not sure if he is actually a better player (although he does admittedly play a tougher position to fill).

• Jaylen Brown
The Przybilla trade offer makes a ton of sense for the C's, so I am not surprised at all at that...although I also am even less surprised that Portland turned it down, since they have too many young guys already on their roster, and are likely looking for 2 or 3 for 1 deals themselves.

The Hunter deal makes a lot less sense to me though.  He just isn't a very good player, and offering any more than Scal and maybe Pruitt doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Once someone like Powe gets thrown into the deal, it doesn't pass the smell test to me.
That's what I was thinking too Chris. I mean, didn't Marcus Banks block this guy's shot? At 11 inches shorter?

Those are the players he mentioned though...

He hasn't been a trade / FA source before this so I question his credibility, but he seemed confident in this piece of news so you never know.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

That's what I was thinking too Chris. I mean, didn't Marcus Banks block this guy's shot? At 11 inches shorter?

Those are the players he mentioned though...

He hasn't been a trade / FA source before this so I question his credibility, but he seemed confident in this piece of news so you never know.

Well, the more I think about it, the more he does make sense as an option.  Although he hasn't been that productive, he does have the right skills for the Celtics system...mainly his mobility for a 7 footer.  He actually reminds me a little of a young Mark Blount, before he got the attitude and offensive game (and that Mark Blount would be perfect in this system BTW).

But where it breaks down is what the C's would give up.  I think Scal and Pruitt would be pretty equal value, and would make at least a little sense, now that Cassell is here.

This is definitely the type of deal I would not be surprised to see happen (trading the dregs of their roster for depth at Center and/or SF), so maybe you have something.

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
We'd (or at least Danny would)
be fools to let Leon "gowe".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdzEKPRsGOg

• Jaylen Brown
If I had to analyze this personally, I'd say that the likelihood that PJ Brown is returning to the Celtics is looking closer and closer to zero percent, and that O'Bryant isn't ready to contribute as a big off the bench yet. These are just conclusions I myself am drawing.

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
The deli guy strikes again?

haha, i remember that.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
If it was Scal for Hunter straight up, in which the Nuggets could save about $600K over the next two years, and the Celtics get to add another player to a tougher position to fill, I could see it.  But the Nuggets are thin at the center position too.  But when you throw in Pruitt to the mix, I don't like it so much.  Adding Leon, and it looks really bad.  Hunter hasn't really proven too much in this league.

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm a fan of Steven Hunter. Although it could spell the end for O'Bryant.

• Jaylen Brown
Okay, I have to go to class, if he gives me any piece of into I'll tell you.

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I'm a fan of Steven Hunter.

And I'm a fan of celticmaestro.
Someone please get him to 300 TP's!