Author Topic: Would you do.. (Suns/Celts trade)  (Read 9880 times)

Would you do.. (Suns/Celts trade)
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Would you Do a Tony Allen and Scal and maybe cash or a 2nd round pick for Raja Bell? I mean Raja could come in here have the Defensive presence that Posey had and can knock down the open three. Plus we could give time to giddens and he could develop behind Raja

Re: Would you do..
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think so.  I just don't think Bell has that much left in the tank (he has fallen off a lot the last couple of seasons), and we would be giving up two veterans from our bench (however questionable) for 1 bench veteran who is not that much more of a sure bet.

Re: Would you do.. (Suns/Celts trade)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I could see Raja playing limited bench minutes,and being effective...i don't think,he could play much over 15-20 minutes a night though,and be effective.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Um, I guess I missed something, 'cause two season ago Bell was really good for the Suns.  I didn't watch lots of Phoenix's games last year but if Raja Bell is healthy, I'd do this in a heartbeat, esp if it also clears Scal off the books

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yes I would. Raja Bell is more of a sure thing than Tony Allen. I like Tony and think he could do good things given the opportunity, but I'm not wild about Championship contenders taking unnecessary risks on unproven players who are going to be asked to play large roles. Tony might end up giving more, but maybe less, it's a vast unknown and could be anything. Raja is a known and proven contributor. So yes I'd be happy to make that deal.

I'd also be happy running with Tony. But if that deal were on the table I think it's worth doing.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:44:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yes I would. Raja Bell is more of a sure thing than Tony Allen. I like Tony and think he could do good things given the opportunity, but I'm not wild about Championship contenders taking unnecessary risks on unproven players who are going to be asked to play large roles. Tony might end up giving more, but maybe less, it's a vast unknown and could be anything. Raja is a known and proven contributor. So yes I'd be happy to make that deal.

I'd also be happy running with Tony. But if that deal were on the table I think it's worth doing.

I guess my problem is that I don't know if Bell is a significant upgrade over someone like Devean George, Ira Newble, or Devin Brown.  Especially not significantly enough to give up Allen, who I hate to count on, but is closer to a sure thing than the rookies, and Scal, who despite what some people think, is an important "break glass in case of emergency" type guy to have (just look at what he did starting for KG last year).

If the C's are going to do a trade like that, they need to do it for someone better than Bell.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Why would the Suns do this trade? That team wants to win now b4 Steve Nash and Shaq fall out!

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:08:45 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Why would the Suns do this trade? That team wants to win now b4 Steve Nash and Shaq fall out!

IMHO, the Suns should've blown up the roster before last season, and now it's pretty much a MUST, same goes with Dallas...they are not going to win with their current team, and better get values out of it before the values decline.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:13:32 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Raja bell is only 31

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:18:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Would you Do a Tony Allen and Scal and maybe cash or a 2nd round pick for Raja Bell? I mean Raja could come in here have the Defensive presence that Posey had and can knock down the open three. Plus we could give time to giddens and he could develop behind Raja

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Something tells me Phoenix wouldn't however.

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Something tells me Phoenix wouldn't however.

Yup and yup. Bell would be a sure thing on defense, hitting a solid amount of jumpers, and bringing a willingness to make hard smart fouls. And there is no way Phoenix does that deal.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 11:42:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not sold on giving up TA yet however I think Bell could cover the 3 spot better.  What's Bell's contract?  TA and Veal are off the books in 2 years for that free agent bonanza.  Is Bell's contract up by then?

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 11:58:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I guess my problem is that I don't know if Bell is a significant upgrade over someone like Devean George, Ira Newble, or Devin Brown.  Especially not significantly enough to give up Allen, who I hate to count on, but is closer to a sure thing than the rookies, and Scal, who despite what some people think, is an important "break glass in case of emergency" type guy to have (just look at what he did starting for KG last year).

If the C's are going to do a trade like that, they need to do it for someone better than Bell.
Why do you have such a low opinion of Raja Bell? What did you think of performance last season?

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I would offer up this trade later into the season. I don't want Tony to be a bust and lose all of his trade value, but we need to see if he could fit the role. Just a few seasons ago he was great with Pierce as a 2nd or 3rd option on offense. I think Raja is a better shooter, but if Allen can get healthy again, then we can't throw him out for Bell, even though i LOVE the idea of getting rid of Scalabrine. I don't know why I don't like him...tall slow red headed white guy that can hit the occasional 3, plays no D, and can get out-rebounded by Nate Robinson and makes too much money for a male cheerleader...oh yeah, that's why.

I still like the idea of trading Scal somewhere that needs a shooting PF in exchange for a true SF.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 12:47:56 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think it would be a spectacular trade if the suns would accept it, but I doubt they would.  Some of you have really low opinions on Raja... he is very much like a James Posey/Bruce Bowen type player.  And it would also help one category we are slacking in: flopping.

"The Raja Flop"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BjhfwVY_p8

This one is my favorite with Manu, the biggest flopper ever, complaining about the call.  I'm surprised he didn't compliment Raja on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNN9ZiH38fs&feature=related
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur