Author Topic: NBA investigating Lakers for any potential contact with Ben Simmons (Merged)  (Read 5525 times)

Re: Now Ben Simmons wants to 'get together' with Magic Johnson
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
NBA starting to become a joke

I agree the NBA needs a new commissioner and a good old fashion long-lasting lockout. If not for anything else but to find out exactly who is driving the bus.

Are we going to have an NBA where players turn away from the teams/cities that signed and invested in them, to play for a team with their buddy on it? Are the players going to be in charge of building teams?  Or are the owners and franchises? 

This started with the great Carpetbagger jumping from team to team in search of that "golden ring" that anoints him the greatest of all time.
The current system is fine.  NOP had 7 seasons to build a good team around AD.  Cleveland had 8 seasons to build around Lebron.  The best players being stuck on bad teams for their career is not in the best interest of the league.

Players honoring their contracts is, though.
Who hasn't honored their contract?

When players ask for a trade, they are not honoring their contract. Of course they are still under the same contract they originally signed when they are traded to their new team, but if a player agrees to sign for 4-5 years with a franchise and then asks out before they are a FA, that is essentially asking out of your contract and often puts the franchise in a difficult position.

It gets really dicey when you have a guy like Kawhi (SAS) who won't play at all. Or even Butler (MIN) who plays only when he feels like it. Then you have this AD situation which is just super-awkward for everybody.
If they still show up and play they are honoring their contract.  Asking for a trade is not dishonoring the contract.  I mean if that was the case then a team could never trade a player because the team would be dishonoring the contract.  In other words, you can't have it both ways.  You can't be ok with a team being able to trade a player but not be ok with a player asking to be traded as long as he still shows up to play.  Now perhaps Kawhi is that special case where he may have sat out after he was healthy, but he has sat out a lot this year as well so perhaps he was actually injured.

You obviously haven’t read the uniform player contract.
I just disagree with your assessment of those contract provisions.  I don't believe asking for a trade breaches any of those provisions.  There are ways in which you ask for a trade that could, but merely asking to be traded doesn't breach the requirements of the uniform code as long as the player keeps showing up and doing his job.  You could in fact argue that you are showing more loyalty to the team by asking for a trade then saying nothing and just leaving when your contract is up (you know like Lebron James just did) as that actually allows your current the option to explore your value and to get something for you.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 12:28:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bron and his tee shirt saleman are asking for a severe fine or Klutch is going to go DOWN in flames .  Teeshirt  jockey hoodlum and all.f

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 12:34:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lakers just can t bring themselves to hire non celebrities, go for brains and not fame.

If they played with Lopez, Russell , Randle , Ball , Zu and maybe added PG or Butler , they would be way ahead of destroying the team and progess to build 3.0 Heat team

Randle , zubac , Lopez > than bron and his three ring franchise destoying circus.

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 04:30:06 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Elton Brand has put the kibosh on Magic being given a chance to tamper with Ben Simmons. He was probably having nightmares at the thought of Magic getting all that alone time with Ben.

"[Lakers general manager] Rob Pelinka called me and said, 'Hey, we're hearing Ben wants to talk to Hall of Famers, championship-level players, and Magic is on the list. We need authorization for him to meet up.' And I said 'No.' This is over a month ago, so I said no," Brand explained.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25974240/sixers-gm-elton-brand-closes-door-magic-johnson-tutoring-ben-simmons
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 07:20:58 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Elton Brand has put the kibosh on Magic being given a chance to tamper with Ben Simmons. He was probably having nightmares at the thought of Magic getting all that alone time with Ben.

"[Lakers general manager] Rob Pelinka called me and said, 'Hey, we're hearing Ben wants to talk to Hall of Famers, championship-level players, and Magic is on the list. We need authorization for him to meet up.' And I said 'No.' This is over a month ago, so I said no," Brand explained.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25974240/sixers-gm-elton-brand-closes-door-magic-johnson-tutoring-ben-simmons

And this today:

The Lakers are being investigated again. Per NBA spokesman Mike Bass: "The league office is looking into whether any contact took place between Ben Simmons and the Los Angeles Lakers that violated NBA rules."

From Tania Gagnuli, LA Times beat writer.

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Start docking 1st round picks and this comes to a quick stop
Greg

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 08:38:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Start docking 1st round picks and this comes to a quick stop
It's what happened to the TWolves in 2000 (happy to stand corrected on that), so it should hopefully happen here if Silver has a spine
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Lakers just can t bring themselves to hire non celebrities, go for brains and not fame.

If they played with Lopez, Russell , Randle , Ball , Zu and maybe added PG or Butler , they would be way ahead of destroying the team and progess to build 3.0 Heat team

Randle , zubac , Lopez > than bron and his three ring franchise destoying circus.

The Lakers could have brought back Jerry West, the same guy that put together the Warriors and Shaq and Kobe. But instead they went for the flashy and charismatic guy, who signed Lebron but has put their FO into the spotlight for mostly the wrong reasons

I really hope West wins a championship with the Clippers while the Lakers are more in mediocrity
I'm bitter.

NBA investigating Lakers for any potential contact with Ben Simmons
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 08:55:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25974492/nba-investigate-lakers-ben-simmons-contact-violated-rules

Take away their draft picks already Silver you coward . Otherwise they will not stop

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
TAMPERING CHARGE #4 in just two years for the Lakers. WOW!!!! Adam Silver is a stooge. No wonder he keeps gifting the Lakers with high draft picks

LOL @ Magic spilling the beans on Sunday and Pelinka trying to clean it up on Monday. If the league does not drop the hammer on this the Lakers will not stop.