Author Topic: What's you take on Tampering rules?  (Read 2059 times)

What's you take on Tampering rules?
« on: September 22, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27662480/nba-board-passes-stricter-tampering-measures

My take:
In short; if you can't control a player recruiting another player who might be under contract - as Kawahi recruited PG13 while under contract.

Then how can you ask a team not to do some "early" recruiting - as Cs did with Kemba.

what's your take?

Re: What's you take on Tampering rules?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Like the speed limit only there as a suggestion until you get caught than you slow down for a few weeks still remembering the ticket but eventually get back to your normal speed.
ok fine

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:11:38 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think it was much needed and a little late, but glad that they are actually cracking down.

The language about voiding contracts and losing draft picks, and suspending agents is what convinces me that these new rules will be effective.

Also, it is short on details, but the discussion about seizing communications, including texts and phones, to investigate tampering sounds very good.

Small market teams cannot survive if you allow superstars to team up in big markets.

What they still need however, is a rule that players under contract have to honor the contract , i.e. cannot demand a trade or threaten to sit for made up injuries until they are traded. Superstars demanding trades is ruining the league. You sign a contract, you have to honor it, same way that the team has to honor it by paying you.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm against tampering during the season. That should be a fine and maybe if its very bad restrict a player from signing with that team. But believe as soon as a player's season is over and he is a RFA or FA he should be fair game to all teams to negotiate with.

I do think regardless NBA should go to pick compensation system that basically always gives something back to a team that loses a good player. It would keep things more balanced IMO. If another team signs a player I'd say

If a player signs to another team for 80% or more of his possible max then his former team gets a 1st from the signing team.

If a player signs to another team for 79% to 60% of his possible max then his former team gets a 2nd.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 04:37:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27662480/nba-board-passes-stricter-tampering-measures

My take:
In short; if you can't control a player recruiting another player who might be under contract - as Kawahi recruited PG13 while under contract.

Then how can you ask a team not to do some "early" recruiting - as Cs did with Kemba.

what's your take?
Strangely enough, you mention Kawhi tampering but the article directly after the one you linked, goes into details about how all Kawhi did was tell LAC he wanted to play with George. LAC did all the rest. It sure doesn't sound like there was any tampering on Kawhi's part.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 04:53:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm against tampering during the season. That should be a fine and maybe if its very bad restrict a player from signing with that team. But believe as soon as a player's season is over and he is a RFA or FA he should be fair game to all teams to negotiate with.

I do think regardless NBA should go to pick compensation system that basically always gives something back to a team that loses a good player. It would keep things more balanced IMO. If another team signs a player I'd say

If a player signs to another team for 80% or more of his possible max then his former team gets a 1st from the signing team.

If a player signs to another team for 79% to 60% of his possible max then his former team gets a 2nd.

The pick system would be interesting, but it's especially difficult in basketball where a 2nd round pick is almost useless and a top 10 pick is gold.

I have been in favor of giving the team that loses said player a FA Player Exception. If a team is at or near the cap and loses a star FA, they are currently left with no FA options besides the MLE or LLE. I'd like to see that team not be penalized for losing a FA when it is out of their control. In the case of the Cs, they could have received an exception for the amount of either Kyrie's or Al's new contracts and been able to sign another high level player with that exception. Instead we got right up to the cap with Kemba and were forced to inexplicably only use a MLE that is even less than teams over the cap get!

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My take is that tampering isn't really what team management / ownership cares about.  Tampering has happened in many forms for ages.

What they really care about is that their ability to control and retain their player assets has been severely diminished in recent years.

I don't blame teams, especially small market ones, resenting how things have shifted. Tampering rules ain't gonna fix it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 08:13:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's fools gold. Tampering will continue, no matter what.

Now, there is talk about how players and owners support the free agency period starting before July 1st with the draft taking place later in the summer.

I think this is a good idea and that way if free agency starts right after the finals, tampering wouldn't seem so blatant.

Fyi....one month 'til opening day in Philly.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:29:44 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I’m against tampering as a concept but in all practicality, can’t find any way to enforce it. Are they going to mic up players in the locker room? How about in the off-season?

Also, what constitutes as legitimate tampering and what constitutes as just banter?
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 01:36:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
To go along with what I posted above, this is from The Ringer:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/9/23/20876434/nba-season-preview-2019-20

25. Lockout Whispers
Justin Verrier: The collective bargaining agreement holds a mutual opt-out clause after the 2022-23 season, which means we are, at most, four years away from even the possibility of another work stoppage. But this summer’s bonanza of player movement has created a clear divide between have and have-not franchises, one the NBA is still struggling to reckon with.

Tempers flared at a board of governors meeting in July, soon after the offseason fireworks had ended, over tampering and an unlevel free-agent playing field. Last week the board unanimously approved new rules that will dish out harsher penalties—a maximum fine of $10 million and loss of draft picks, among others—for violations. But the root issue remains unresolved: Stars are forcing their way to the big markets, and without NSA-level monitoring, teams in those big markets will continue to work the gray area to nudge them there.

The NBA is also in a race against technology. The league is currently making $2.7 billion a year in national TV deals, but commissioner Adam Silver has been transparent about the looming challenge of reaching a viewership that is cutting the cable cord, if it ever had one to begin with. In five years, Silver said in March, the game will look “dramatically different.” The league is being proactive on this front, just as it has been with tampering. But these are the kinds of big existential questions that both sides of the bargaining table will have to think long and hard about four years from now, and are worth keeping a close eye on until then.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
My take is that tampering isn't really what team management / ownership cares about.  Tampering has happened in many forms for ages.

What they really care about is that their ability to control and retain their player assets has been severely diminished in recent years.

I don't blame teams, especially small market ones, resenting how things have shifted. Tampering rules ain't gonna fix it.

Of course. This is what caused the last lockout. It's going to cause the next one.

Having someone earn a salary examining  player-to-executive and player-to-player communication is a waste of time.

Instead, the NBA should be investigating ways to enure that the next CBA has ways make the contracts more palatable to the ownership and the players in the event of bad management (which is, almost every time, why the superstar players the ownership are concerned about keeping wind up leaving for greener pastures).

But, of course, that would be much more effective and much more difficult. So, instead, we get Adam Silver making jazz hands and not much else.