Author Topic: Brad Wanamaker going forward  (Read 1689 times)

Brad Wanamaker going forward
« on: August 22, 2020, 05:00:04 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
We should probably start some thread (maybe after we win the championship), about off-season moves, including the draft, generally. But I am curious to know what people think we should do with Wanamaker. I presume he could be used in a trade as an expiring contract, but we also have his Bird rights so is anyone got appetite to give him a 3-year deal? He has been extremely solid this year.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Brad Wanamaker going forward
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 06:21:32 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I would sign him. I think it's better to have a proven solid player who knows the system and is not a bad locker room presence than to sign an unknown. Like you said, he's been solid for a backup PG and isnt a chucker.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 06:24:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He’s been solid, but he’s also 31 with pretty considerable non-NBA mileage. I don’t know how his body would stand up under 3 years of backup play. There are also plenty of PG’s I like in the draft.

A lot depends on what he thinks he can get in free agency. He’s a similar tier player to Delon Wright who just got a 3/28 deal, but with Covid I think there’ll be less money to throw around. It’s definitely a question though. He’s really solid when he doesn’t take it upon himself to do too much
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 08:14:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would keep him, but not for 3 years and certainly not at a number that would put us in the luxury tax. I think the goal was to have him be the 4th guard to start the season with either Romeo or Carsen pushing him to 3rd string - that obviously didn’t happen. But, I do think Romeo can handle more minutes at guard while Smart slides over to PG.

That would once again make BW a 3rd stringer, and you don’t typically pay a 3rd string guy more than the minimum. I am not sold on Waters so I do think we need a veteran at that spot (injuries and rest) - just not sure of the market for BW around the league.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 09:19:51 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We should probably start some thread (maybe after we win the championship), about off-season moves, including the draft, generally.
We already got one. 8)

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=102126.0

I presume he could be used in a trade as an expiring contract
He is about to hit free agency. We cannot use him in a trade. No point making a sign and trade either cause he probably won't get a big payday. I mean, if a team really wants him, they can offer him either the bi-annual exception or the MLE. Not to mention, we'd become hard capped at the apron.

I would keep him, but not for 3 years and certainly not at a number that would put us in the luxury tax.
We don't know the final cap figures yet, but if Hayward opts in, chances are we won't avoid the tax.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:33:19 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Money is an issue. Don't think they can afford to pay him. He should get a 3 to 5 mill per deal. C's are up against the cap and have 4 picks this draft.

Same goes for Kanter.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I love him...he's a pro's pro.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 10:16:22 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I like him for the player that he is - he's just all-around solid and isn't going to kill you as long as he just has to be the other guy on the court. This could be a really rough off-season for free agents and I'm skeptical anyone's going to give him the mid-level, so I've got no issue keeping him on an affordable deal as steady bench help that Brad seems to trust. I really think somebody's bi-annual exception is going to be the ceiling on his market, though.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 01:24:54 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
If you look at his numbers at Pitt, Euro and Boston?

He is Mr. consistent.

FG 44%
3PT 36.5%
Maybe 12 ppg overall
In 107 NBA games he has attempted 164 free throws and hit 150

He gets $1.5M now. I suppose another team "might want him" but, his skill set isn't particularly rare. Last year he wasn't perfect, but this year he has been money. If he had to start a game? It wouldn't be the end of the world, he's a veteran and knows his limits.

He played 100 games in the EU and 134 games for Pitt and now 13 years later, he plays for one of the greatest franchises in history, won the free throw percentage title and is beating the spit out of the 76'ers in a title run....talk about getting rewarded for hanging in there.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not to mention, we'd become hard capped at the apron.

The receiving team becomes hard-capped, not the sending team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
With Hayward out, moving Smart to starting lineup and Wannamaker getting more minutes, I am getting a much better appreciation for his intelligence, steadiness and efficiency. Not flashy, but usually makes the right play.  A bit of tunnel vision, but pretty good finishing. 

Given his elite FT%, surprising his career 3PT% is pedestrian.  Would expect a better correlation.

I'd definitely re-sign him for another year with a team option for an additional year. Not more than that though. I hope we draft a PG in 2020 (Hayes if we draft up, Lewis if we stay put) whom we can groom to be back up PG after a season and starter once the wheels come of the Kemba train.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 04:02:40 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He’s not flashy but he’s very solid. You know what he cane cannot do. For the money, I think he’s been great. I loved his game when I saw him in Europe. He can hit threes and is a very good FT shooter. He knows his role and for me that is key. Next year, Cs need more bench guys like that. There’s too many young guys on the bench.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 05:49:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wanamaker is a solid bench and practice guy. I see him as a long term 3rd or 4th PG option. I "like" him but I think we can do better for the back up point guard slot.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 05:53:28 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Not to mention, we'd become hard capped at the apron.

The receiving team becomes hard-capped, not the sending team.
You are right, of course. I stand corrected. TP! :)