Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 342149 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think it is becoming a harder decision as time goes on, it looks like Tatum may be 6'10-11 in shoes and could be still growing. Paul George is around the 6'9-10 range and here we can see he is obviously taller than him.

That is an interesting photo but if you are suggesting that this means that Tatum could be a PF in the future, I don't agree.  I would not play Tatum primarily as a big any more than I would play Durant primarily as a big (and Durant is bigger than Tatum).

As far as the trade, as much as I like Tatum, Davis is better and is likely to stay better for some time to come, possibly forever.  We don't have the salary to make it happen though so I am not getting my hopes up.

Davis will not be traded anytime soon. He's due to make $230mm next year from the Pels, and only the Pels. He will be the highest paid player in NBA history.

AD will only get traded after 30..

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I think it is becoming a harder decision as time goes on, it looks like Tatum may be 6'10-11 in shoes and could be still growing. Paul George is around the 6'9-10 range and here we can see he is obviously taller than him.

That is an interesting photo but if you are suggesting that this means that Tatum could be a PF in the future, I don't agree.  I would not play Tatum primarily as a big any more than I would play Durant primarily as a big (and Durant is bigger than Tatum).

As far as the trade, as much as I like Tatum, Davis is better and is likely to stay better for some time to come, possibly forever.  We don't have the salary to make it happen though so I am not getting my hopes up.

Davis will not be traded anytime soon. He's due to make $230mm next year from the Pels, and only the Pels. He will be the highest paid player in NBA history.

Depends on how things go there. If they don't go well, he could force his way out a year or two after that new deal. By that time, we'll know for sure what we have in Tatum.

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Depends on how things go there. If they don't go well, he could force his way out a year or two after that new deal. By that time, we'll know for sure what we have in Tatum.

Nah man, a team pays you that kind of money, you just look like an ingrate. He's in NO for the next five years. I think if you asked Ainge in honesty he would say the same.

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Keep the core as it is

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
My initial reaction was yes, I would make the trade. However, we're comparing a 6 year veteran to a guy who is one year removed from finishing his freshman year in college. We just witnessed the leap that Jaylen Brown made, and I would expect Jayson to make a leap himself this season. Plus, with the league seemingly moving away from big men to more versatile players that can shoot and switch, Tatum seems like the new prototype.

The one thing that I occasionally saw in Tatum last season, that I have never seen from Davis, is a killer instinct. I have said this before, it worries me that a supposedly top 3 or so player, has only made the second round of the playoffs once in six years. Something doesn't seem right.

I guess my answer depends on the progress Tatum shows after year two, and how the Pelicans fair in the playoffs. Right now, I'm leaning towards holding onto Tatum.

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No.

« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2018, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
If it were actually possible to trade Tatum for Davis straight up then I'm pretty sure Ainge would pull the trigger on that. I would hate to see Tatum leave but at this point I think you have to make that deal, logically.

But obviously Tatum has a ton of potential. I think he would've scored 20+ ppg on a lottery level team last year at 19/20 years old, and I think he's going to eventually develop into a guy that can be the best scorer on a championship caliber team.

For me personally though I'd rather see Brown/Tatum develop here rather than give one of them up for an established vet, mostly because I believe both of them are all star talents in the making.

There's something to be said for seeing high level talent develop on your team rather than trying to always make home run trades.

« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2018, 03:52:37 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ok, I'm going to think about this question for one second.

Russell
Cowens
Parrish
Garnett
Davis

Ok, that makes sense...what else do we have here.

Davis matches up with who else in the NBA? Nobody. Ok, that's good.

Davis plays his heart out at both ends and the Celtics need a defensiove force underneath because that was how the other four guys won all the rings. Check.

Ok, Tatum "becomes Durant" in two years, which is great but, Davis has two tiltles in Boston by then which is greater.

"Ladies and Gentlemen,  starting at center, 7 feet from the University of Kentucky...Anthony Davis!"

Sure, we don't want any of that around here do we?

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2018, 03:54:03 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Davis top 3 player..nuff said
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Davis is much better than Tatum is now and substantially better than we could reasonably hope for Tatum to be.  But injury risk, rookie contract+RFA rights and a large dose of homerism make me reluctant in spite of knowing how lopsided it is on paper.  Good thing I don't get a vote!

Interesting read:

https://rotogrinders.com/blog-posts/just-how-injury-prone-is-anthony-davis-1551187

I stick with my No vote.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2018, 09:38:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if it were possible, it's really a no-brainer.  AD is a top 3 player in the league (putting Bron at #1 and possibly Durant at #2 but I really think AD is the second best player right now).

Love Tatum and looking forward to seeing him blossom into a great player here but that's still just hope and speculation whereas AD is a proven all-world talent.   Also, AD fills out that starting unit a bit better than Tatum.  Let's not forget that there is no one in the league that matches up with AD -- no one.  surround him with Kyrie, Brown, Hayward and Al in that line-up and this team would be unstoppable.  GSW would go down in defeat. 

the reality however, is that even if NO considered the swap a wash in terms of talent, salary matching would require the C's to clean out quite a bit more talent to make the deal happen.

« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Davis is obviously a great player. However, how many top 5 players have only made the playoffs twice in their first 6 seasons and only got out of the first round once in that time frame? With all of the star treatment a top 5 player receives by the referees, this seems like an almost impossible feat.

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2018, 11:01:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Davis is obviously a great player. However, how many top 5 players have only made the playoffs twice in their first 6 seasons and only got out of the first round once in that time frame? With all of the star treatment a top 5 player receives by the referees, this seems like an almost impossible feat.
You're not really acknowledging the absolute dumpster fire that New Orleans has been, which has been the major contributing factor to that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Straight up?  Yes.

No one is beating Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis & company.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2018, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

You keep banging this drum, and it doesn't make a lot of sense.  Durant didn't win a playoff series til his 4th year, and not until he had another all star playing alongside him. AD has had no such luxury.

He's generally been on garbage teams with questionable guard play, and then was saddled with a ball hog center who thinks he's a 3 pt shooter. He started to get some continuity and decent guard play for the first time in his career, and his team rolls over Portland, and gave GSW a lot better fight than Lebron did.

AD is the most valuable commodity in the NBA. No one matches up against him, and he can match up against any other big man. The one and only legitimate case against him is he's only averaged 68 games/season, but then he's played 75 in each of the last 2, so it's getting harder to even make that case.

Trading any individual player for AD is a no-brainer. I love JT and hope we can keep him forever, but not trading him straight up for AD is absurd. And a hypothetical, because we're at least a couple years from AD being available anyway.