Author Topic: best job by refs I've seen in a long time  (Read 2278 times)

best job by refs I've seen in a long time
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The Celtics win over the Raptors was an example of how nice the sport
of basketball can be when the referees don't muck it up with non-stop made up calls.

The last game, against Charlotte, was one of the worst reffed games I ever saw.  Guy falls on the floor = stop the game...over and over and over.

The NBA should use these two games in their training for refs.  Charlotte game an example what not to do.  Toronto game an example of how to call a good game.

The refs become the story in far too many games.  So congrats to the refs of this Toronto Boston game for mostly staying out of the way and letting the players get into rhythm so the game can flow.

Re: best job by refs I've seen in a long time
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:40:21 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Are you kidding?

Thought this game was officiated awfully.

Largely in our favor too.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
That call against Tatum at the end of the game nearly cost the Celtics the game.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 08:50:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That call against Tatum at the end of the game nearly cost the Celtics the game.

It did. But it was also the correct call. Tatum made contact.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don’t understand the issue with that call. There was definitely contact with the elbow. The fall was exaggerated, but Tatum hit him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

NBA is going to have to come up with something else as right now the defenders are going to be incentivized to play defense with their head as that call consistently gets made on the man with the ball.

Not exactly what you have in mind when trying to protect players heads.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 08:57:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I thought the officiating was quite good. They didn’t fall for a lot of the flopping.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

NBA is going to have to come up with something else as right now the defenders are going to be incentivized to play defense with their head as that call consistently gets made on the man with the ball.

It's a tough situation, but I don't think there's THAT much incentive to get hit in the head with an elbow.  Faking it, like Marcus did a lot last year, yeah, but not actually getting clocked.

Problem is going the opposite way and entitling the man with the ball to swing his elbows through "his space" would encourage a lot of headhunting of aggressive defenders. Doesn't seem like a viable option either.

Agree that distaste for the call should be directed at the rulebook and not the ref.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I don’t understand the issue with that call. There was definitely contact with the elbow. The fall was exaggerated, but Tatum hit him.

I think that the man rebounding the ball is entitled to some space to clear the ball.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:05:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think that the man rebounding the ball is entitled to some space to clear the ball.

He had already secured the ball — for several seconds — before swinging his elbows.

There’s clear contact, followed by a flop. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 10:06:10 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Jayson Tatum Offensive Foul On Fred VanFleet - Hard Elbow Or Flop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqe0UWpoiYo

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 10:08:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I agree. There's a big area between Karl Malone throwing elbows into everyone and what we have today.

Agree with the OP though. They replaced that young guy with the slicked hair from the last few games (among one or two) with a woman (not sure her name), but I thought she was really good. Especially when she told Lowry to stop acting like a baby
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He had already secured the ball — for several seconds — before swinging his elbows.

Isn't the offensive play still entitled to space?

Maybe my green colored googles are just seeing this differently...

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 10:20:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Isn't the offensive play still entitled to space?

Space from what? Tatum was by himself with nobody around him for multiple seconds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqe0UWpoiYo

There are 4-5 seconds between the rebound and the foul.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It's a tough situation, but I don't think there's THAT much incentive to get hit in the head with an elbow.  Faking it, like Marcus did a lot last year, yeah, but not actually getting clocked.

Problem is going the opposite way and entitling the man with the ball to swing his elbows through "his space" would encourage a lot of headhunting of aggressive defenders. Doesn't seem like a viable option either.

Agree that distaste for the call should be directed at the rulebook and not the ref.
Similar to the rip through "move" in my book.

If you're not allowed to bring the ball across your body as a ball handler its just a weird stance to take. Just like it was weird when they allowed offensive players to literally hook defenders arms that were in legal guarding position and then just flop and flail for a foul call.