Author Topic: Since 1980 (36 years) Which Celtics Bigs Were "Better" Then Horford?  (Read 10214 times)

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Name all the Celtics bigs since 1980 (36 years) who you believe were/are better NBA players than Al Horford. "Better" is very subjective, which hopefully make this an interesting question.

Mk's List
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Kevin McHale
  • Robert Parish

Horford is forth on my list. With a really special 4 year run, there is a chance he moves past Parish on my list.

Honorable Mentions
  • There is a case for Bill Walton. He won 2 rings, a league MVP, 6th man award (in 86 with the Cs), and a Finals MVP. The majority of his best years were not with the Cs. He only had one good  year as a Celtic. His career was much too short, only a 2 time All Star.
  • Cedric Maxwell feels like a Al Horford-light to me.
  • White Mamba!!! Just kidding of course.
  • Al Jefferson's case is mainly built on great stats from losing teams, MIN & UTA.
  • EDIT: Dino Radja had a productive 4 year run with the 90s Cs. Like a light version of Big Al, Dino was good stats on a bad team. Dino's 4 years with the Cs were his only in the NBA.
  • EDIT: I am legit embarrassed on omitting one of my favorite all-time Celtics Antoine Walker. Antoine was born a NBA generation too early. His hybrid/stretch-4 abilities were not appreciated during his time. If he could reign in his volume shooting ways, he would be the prototypical forward in today's game.
Did I miss anyone?

This says a little about both how exceptionally good Horford is and the dearth of talented Celtics big men (outside of KG) over the past 3 player generations (25 years since McHale and Parrish wore the green)

Mk
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:45:42 AM by mkogav »

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
1. Thomas Hamilton
2. Acie Earl
3. Brett Szabo
4. Dwayne Schintzius
5. Brandon Hunter

.... oh sorry I read the question wrong.  ;D   .... I agree with your list
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
1. Thomas Hamilton
2. Acie Earl
3. Brett Szabo
4. Dwayne Schintzius
5. Brandon Hunter

I still can't believe that I once drank the Kool-Aid on Acie Earl.

Mk

P.S. Those viscious rumors that I once sported a Schintzius-do are blatantly false!!!

...as far as you know.

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Seems about right. I think Horford is the same caliber player as Parish; wouldn't really say either of them is "better." Then '07-08 KG was on McHale's level (well above Horford) but '08-'13 KG was probably closer to the Horford/Parish tier.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
1. Thomas Hamilton
2. Acie Earl
3. Brett Szabo
4. Dwayne Schintzius
5. Brandon Hunter

No love for Zan Tabak, Bruno Sundov, and Travis Knight?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Given Horford's age and likely production, I'd easily put Toine ahead of him. 

Dino Radja had a very solid 4 year stretch as well.  I don't think Horford will eclipse Dino's 19.7/9.8 season.  Heck Horford might not even eclipse Radja's 17.2/8.7 season. 

Now if you aren't just counting time on Boston, then that is a much different question because Shaq played in Boston.  Jermaine O'Neal played in Boston.  Etc.  Those guys had better careers than Horford, but obviously did not have great careers as a Celtic.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
I think Horford is the same caliber player as Parish; wouldn't really say either of them is "better."

I feel the same. If Horford leads the Cs to the Finals, that would push him past Parish in my book.

Then '07-08 KG was on McHale's level (well above Horford) but '08-'13 KG was probably closer to the Horford/Parish tier.

I view KG a notch higher than McHale. IMO KG is a 1 to McHale being a 2. (Bird would be the 1 on those 80s Cs team)

McHale was a 7 time All Star, 6 time 1st/2nd All D, won 2 6th Man awards, and 1 All NBA first team.

KG was a 15 time All Star, DOPY in 08, league MVP with the Wolves, 12 time All D, and a 4 time All NBA first team. He was a legit franchise player.

Mk

DKC Knicks

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Max was def better- not even close.

I would put Jefferson ahead of Horford.

Walton only really played for a year here- for that year, he was better.

He's 7th on my list.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would have him around Parish.  KG is the best hands down.  Best PF of all time IMO.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Garnett and McHale

I'd take Horford over Parish.

Edit: ehh, maybe not over Parish. Horford spent most of his best years in Atlanta so Celtics-Horford probably won't surpass Celtics-Parish.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:26:38 AM by Who »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Just looking at the raw, sexy stats, Antoine's first run in Boston looked pretty impressive:

20.8ppg, 8.7rpg, 4.2apg, 1.5spg, 0.6bpg.

His average over that 7 year run is better than Horford's best year, actually better than most players, those stats put Antoine in pretty elite company (for either single season or cumulative).

Of course looking a little deeper at some of the advanced metrics like PER, TS%, ORtg, DRtg, etc. paints a very different picture.

Still wonder where Antoine ranks on everybody's list here.  Is he 5th?  Is it by default (due to lack of eligible bigs)?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I don't really consider C.Maxwell or Antoine as bigs. More as forwards.

More specifically as combo forwards in the PF/SF mold.

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Dino Radja had a very solid 4 year stretch as well.  I don't think Horford will eclipse Dino's 19.7/9.8 season.  Heck Horford might not even eclipse Radja's 17.2/8.7 season. 

I think Radja is very underrated here ......

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I think Radja is very underrated here ......
Dino was a pretty good player, but he was only with the Celtics for 4 years -- and the team was horrible at that time. You're probably right though.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Now if you aren't just counting time on Boston, then that is a much different question because Shaq played in Boston.  Jermaine O'Neal played in Boston.  Etc.  Those guys had better careers than Horford, but obviously did not have great careers as a Celtic.

I was beginning to write a new post, but then realized I was saying exactly what you said. So, tp.