Author Topic: Grade each Celtics player for their performance so far this season  (Read 3395 times)

Re: Grade each Celtics player for their performance so far this season
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm confused as to why people expected Smart to not be basically the player he was last year.  He has shown only very slight growth from year to year, I just don't get why people thought he would be something different than he is.  To me, he is exactly what I expected him to be.

He lost a bunch of weight and worked on his shot form. There was a lot of hope in preseason.
He is shooting better from deep.  Still awful, but better. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Irving A, has been excellent.
Brown C+, made progress but still has inconsistencies.
Tatum B, excellent play from the rook
Horford C+, he is what he is.
Baynes C, Better than expected.
Rozier C, he is what he is.
Smart C-, he is what he is
Theis C, better than expected
Morris C, as advertised.
Semi D, Looks lost at times.
Larkin C, OK but never know what he will give.
Yabu  C-, as expected
Nader D,  playing below what I expected

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm confused as to why people expected Smart to not be basically the player he was last year.  He has shown only very slight growth from year to year, I just don't get why people thought he would be something different than he is.  To me, he is exactly what I expected him to be.
Regardless of expectations, it's a little disappointing to see virtually no improvement from last season, even if he's literally my favorite player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Kyrie - A: Only player on the Celts that you can expect to score consistently night in and night out. Yep, the only one right now. Mostly due to a very young group of guys.

Brown - B: HUGELY improved from last year. Still a little raw in places and is getting by with supreme athleticism. I believe he has a very high ceiling and when he figures out how to finish at the rim consistently watch out. I may be one of the few who believes he has a higher ceiling than Tatum. Could be averaging Hayward type numbers well before Hayward got there.

Tatum - B+: Much better than expected, especially at rebounding and D. Very smooth play but we don't know what his offense will be like when he starts taking more contested shots. So far his shot selection has been extremely picky. Amazing for a 19 y/o rookie though.

Horford - B: Elite at the beginning of the season, looking a bit tired lately. We need him to be full Al to do anything in the playoffs, hopefully he is conserving energy.

Baynes - C+: He is what he is, a defensive big man. Good D but not always consistent.

Smart - C: Can't throw the ball in the ocean most of the time. D is amazing sometimes, I believe he can guard anyone on the right night. Tough to watch on offense most of the time.

Rozier - C: Constantly moving at full speed. Some nights it works, some nights it doesn't work. Often tough to watch on offense. Edit: upped to a C just for that amazing steal and dunk in Indy.

Theis - B: Better overall than Baynes IMO.

Morris - C: Can be explosive on offense. Has helped us win a few games this year.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:24:15 PM by CF033 »

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Morris C, as advertised.
Yabu  C-, as expected

How does a team average a C grade, yet have the best record in their conference while playing without a projected all-star?
Yup

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Morris C, as advertised.
Yabu  C-, as expected

How does a team average a C grade, yet have the best record in their conference while playing without a projected all-star?
I was thinking the same thing lol. We have like the 2nd or 3rd next record in the league too depending on the day of the week

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I give the whole team an A...if u told me when Hayward went down that we have 2nd or 3rd best record on Jan 22, I said u were crazy
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Morris C, as advertised.
Yabu  C-, as expected

The league doesn't have a lot of good teams right now that's how. Also we are grading their individual play not their collective efforts.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 04:55:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Morris C, as advertised.
Yabu  C-, as expected

The league doesn't have a lot of good teams right now that's how. Also we are grading their individual play not their collective efforts.

So the sum of the parts is greater than the individual effort. 

A+ for Stevens then.
Yup

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
You cannot say Brown is a c.... excellent defender.. scores 15 a game... thats ridiculous...
Rosier and smart are a d... they cannot command and organise a team..
Irving A Brown Tatum B...

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kyrie: A-/B+ ---> has had some special games (probably responsible for an extra 4-5 wins because of clutch play) and really made an effort to fit in. Has yet to have a stretch of supernova games where he just dominates, though.
Brown: B ---> incredible improvement year-to-year. He's basically a longer, more athletic prime Jae Crowder with room to improve. His feel for the game, while much improved, still leaves something to be desired. If he gets his handle/decision making to the next level he will go from a great off-guard to a star.
Tatum: B- ---> he's doing incredibly well for a rookie; not afraid of the moment. Rebounds well. He tends to disappear for stretches/games, but he's shown up when it matters most more often than not. Let's put it this way: I'm buying a lot of this guy's rookie cards.
Horford: B/B- ---> opened the season on a tear on both ends, but regressed back to Old Dependable Al. Hopefully, he'll turn it on when the games start mattering a little more (like he did last year). He is still incredibly important, even when he's coasting, because of his passing and defensive communication. I've noticed that his defense is slipping a little bit recently, but I have no worries about it being a permanent thing.
Baynes: B- ---> like Al, Baynes started the season on a tear. Now, his midranger isn't falling 100% of the time. However, he's still a fantastic rebounder and post defender that works hard. I love having him in the starting lineup, even with his offensive limitations.
Theis: B ---> this is more based on exceeding expectations than reality, where Theis is a realistic B-/C+. He's always in the right place and plays much bigger on both O and D than he actually is. I was expecting a bench scrub, but the Celtics got a legit rotation big.
Smart: B-/C+ ---> singlehandedly won a few games for the team (Rockets, anyone?). Is still an underrated playmaker (especially on the pick and roll) and an improving scorer (I like the midrange shot he's developing). However, on the whole, Smart has not met my expectations this year, and I think he's an average-to-slightly-above-average player. Think bad starter, good bench player.
Rozier: C+/C ---> like Smart, has some good games and bad games. His highs aren't as high, though. Solid backup guard with potential to improve. For now, though, he's one step forward, one step back.
Morris: B-/C+ --- Admittedly, I haven't seen a ton of Morris minutes (haven't caught a lot of games recently in which he's played). I'm not a huge fan (he doesn't really move without the ball), but people say his offense has helped the bench more often than not. In my eyes, he's a solid role player who's being asked to perform slightly above his talent level for the time being.
Semi: C- ---> I'm honestly not a huge fan of the guy. I'm not as high on his defense as some (I think the "LeBron/Giannis stopper" moniker was not earned, and he's a but slow laterally), and his shot doesn't look like a good one to me. He is a big man, though.
Larkin: C+/C ---> good energy guy off the bench. Has won the C's a few games by getting the energy back up. The offense tends to stagnate when he's in the game for long stretches, but he's a good third PG.
Yabu: D ---> I want DLeague Yabu! NBA Yabu seems lost out there.
Nader: D- ---> see Yabu. I have to admit, I've never liked Nader's game, even in Summer League. He seems very bull-in-a-china-shop. He did bring good energy in one game I remember, though.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Morris C, as advertised.
Yabu  C-, as expected

So the sum of the parts is greater than the individual effort. 

A+ for Stevens then.
Yes A+ for BS. I would say also almost every player in the steady rotation has had clutch moments despite their overall game which has contributed greatly to winning.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am clueless as to how anyone can have Brown being less than a B+. Cs and C-s??? He is possibly the most improved player in the league. He has turned himself into a great defender. He's been shooting over 40% from 3 for most of the season. He is the team's 2nd leading scorer.

How does a 21 year old, 2nd year player get a C or C- for that?

Inconceivable!!!

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I am clueless as to how anyone can have Brown being less than a B+. Cs and C-s??? He is possibly the most improved player in the league. He has turned himself into a great defender. He's been shooting over 40% from 3 for most of the season. He is the team's 2nd leading scorer.

How does a 21 year old, 2nd year player get a C or C- for that?

Inconceivable!!!

Agree, but pales in comparison to 2 all-stars not getting As. Based on Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 07:42:51 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Horford = A
Irving = A
Brown = B
Tatum = B
Baynes = C+ for how he stands in league, however has really surpassed any expectations I've had

Smart= C+ , does all the intangibles but his offensive game is so inconsistent
Morris = B-
Rozier = C- , at times has won games, my main problem with him is when his shot isn't falling he will still throw up more shots than brown or Tatum
Theis = B- , see baynes, i had little expectations for him, thought he might give us a few emergency minutes, love his game
Larkin = C , he's solid, when he comes in he makes things happen that need to happen, runs good pick and roll, sadly his height will keep him from being a backup pg in nba and getting better grade
Semi = D+ mainly for a few games of defense, not ready for prime time but looks like he has what it takes
Yabu = D- , to me has looked like he doesn't belong in nba at this point
Nader = F , see above but will never belong in nba, went backwards, forces his offense when he's in for limited minutes
Brad = A
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:55:04 PM by 2short »