Author Topic: Celtics championship odds article  (Read 2916 times)

Celtics championship odds article
« on: April 15, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Fun article for us Celtics fan - even though I can't believe it as much as I want to.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-betting-analytics-projections-love-boston-celtics-to-take-the-nba-championship-142332938.html

Re: Celtics championship odds article
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 01:42:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Does anyone have any gambling insight as to why the Celtics would have higher odds to win the East than they do the championship?

Last I saw they were +330 to win the East and +250 to win the whole thing.  That seems odd to me.
(cross posted this question)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 01:44:56 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
Does anyone have any gambling insight as to why the Celtics would have higher odds to win the East than they do the championship?

Last I saw they were +330 to win the East and +250 to win the whole thing.  That seems odd to me.

Even more odd is how the Celtics are favored to beat the nets -180, but the nets are favored to win the championship over the Celtics at +650 vs +900 at most sites.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 01:58:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I would think that these eastern conference playoffs are a nightmare for "Vegas" and for bettors too I guess.  The computers love the Celtics but the bookmakers not so much.  And I think all of the West teams are overrated.  I would rather play PHO or MEM over BKN or MIL.  And MIA and PHI are right in there.  Think how good PHI is going to be if Harden starts to play (which is well within the realm of possibly if not likelihood).

Even after an entire season, there is so much uncertainty with these teams.  You don't really know how good any of these teams will be, not for certain.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 02:38:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Maybe their guess is that a MIL-BOS series would be a defacto NBA Finals?

Just a guess.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 02:41:38 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
I would think that these eastern conference playoffs are a nightmare for "Vegas" and for bettors too I guess.  The computers love the Celtics but the bookmakers not so much.  And I think all of the West teams are overrated.  I would rather play PHO or MEM over BKN or MIL.  And MIA and PHI are right in there.  Think how good PHI is going to be if Harden starts to play (which is well within the realm of possibly if not likelihood).

Even after an entire season, there is so much uncertainty with these teams.  You don't really know how good any of these teams will be, not for certain.

It's nice to have such parity in the NBA after almost decades of predictability. Hopefully things stay this way from here on out.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 04:36:48 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29

Where the heck are you seeing the Celtics at +250 to win the whole thing? I haven't seen that anywhere.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 04:46:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Yeah if anyone is in a state that has legal gambling don’t take the championship bet. Just bet by series and roll over the bet each round. You will make more money off the same amount that way.

As for the east versus west playoffs. Yes, the east does have more good teams that could win the championship. By oddsmakers, 76ers, Celtics, nets, bucks all are seen as having a shot at win the championship. In the west, only golden state and Phoenix are seen as being possible to win. At a larger level, the east was just a stronger conference this year so the playoffs are gonna be a real bloodbath. Unfortunately we got the worst end of it playing an actual contender in the first round.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 04:46:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Even more odd is how the Celtics are favored to beat the nets -180, but the nets are favored to win the championship over the Celtics at +650 vs +900 at most sites.
I imagine it has to do with how much the lines are influenced by the betting that's being done and not just be predictions. Maybe there are a lot of folks high on the Celtics who think they can win it all and then a lot of folks who don't like the Celtics betting they go out in 1 or 2 but no one in the middle.

In other words, bettors either love 'em or hate 'em.

I'm no expert but that might result in the lines moving in such a way.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 04:53:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
FWIW,

Draftkings

Celtics to win East +400
Celtics to win Title +850

FanDuel

Celtics to win East +440

Barstool

Celtics to win East +350
Celtics to win Title +800

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 10:35:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
FWIW,

Draftkings

Celtics to win East +400

FanDuel

Celtics to win East +440

Barstool

Celtics to win East +350
Celtics to win Title +800

Weird
The site I was looking at must have had a typo on the +250 championship odds.  I put $10 on the East title at +330 but I guess should have shopped around! 
Yup

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 12:33:48 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Can someone explain odds to me? What does +250 mean? Or -180? What are you adding 250 or subtracting 180 from?
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 01:04:49 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Can someone explain odds to me? What does +250 mean? Or -180? What are you adding 250 or subtracting 180 from?

I think that means your 100 bet will get you 250, on the other hand your 180 bet wins you 100.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 11:59:14 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney

I think that means your 100 bet will get you 250, on the other hand your 180 bet wins you 100.

This is accurate - TP

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Yep, it’s hard for us to believe in it because we’re just so used to inconsistency, but the way they have been playing, it is clear to me that the Celtics are the best and most consistent team in the NBA.

The difference between pundits and Vegas is IMO that Vegas relies more on stats and pundits gravitate towards big names. On paper, the Celtics easily fly through the east based on offensive and defensive numbers #1 defense #8 offense, #1 net rating in the entire NBA. The next best net rating in the east are the heat at about half the Celtics’ rating. That’s huge, and it includes their bad start. I know that stats don’t mean everything, but this is likely the rationale.

Outside of the paper, I equate their recent dominance to Jordan bulls, recent warriors and Shaq/Kobe lakers. Every game just feels like it’s men vs boys and there isn’t much doubt who will win pretty quickly. I haven’t felt that “they’re playing good but watch them blow it in the 4th” at all. They are absolutely lethal. Just imagine we have 1 guy in the MVP conversation and 2 guys in the DPOY conversation… plus Brown. Insane.