Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 78634 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2022, 10:34:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Now we wait and see on Smart. Ankle sprains come in three grades:

Grade 1: 1-2 week recovery, day to day for a mild sprain.
Grade 2: 3-6 week recovery. Ja Morant missed 24 days earlier this year with a grade 2.
Grade 3: 6+ weeks, usually requires surgery. Smart's was probably not this serious, people typically can't put any weight on it at all. He did manage to hobble off the court.

Luckily only 4 games in the next two weeks thanks to the break. vsDET, @BRK, @DET, @IND before a game at home vsATL on March 1st. Still after that the schedule in March gets a little tougher, so hopefully he back in more like 2 weeks than 4 weeks.

Man, if we could get out of this will him only missing four games -- three of which should be easy wins -- it would be awesome.

Draft Kings said the over/under on the sprain grade is 2.5.  I'm taking the under.
(JK)

« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2022, 10:49:17 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Now we wait and see on Smart. Ankle sprains come in three grades:

Grade 1: 1-2 week recovery, day to day for a mild sprain.
Grade 2: 3-6 week recovery. Ja Morant missed 24 days earlier this year with a grade 2.
Grade 3: 6+ weeks, usually requires surgery. Smart's was probably not this serious, people typically can't put any weight on it at all. He did manage to hobble off the court.

Luckily only 4 games in the next two weeks thanks to the break. vsDET, @BRK, @DET, @IND before a game at home vsATL on March 1st. Still after that the schedule in March gets a little tougher, so hopefully he back in more like 2 weeks than 4 weeks.

Man, if we could get out of this will him only missing four games -- three of which should be easy wins -- it would be awesome.

I think all four should be pretty easy wins.  Detroit twice is obvious, the Nets is game is in Brooklyn, so no Kyrie, no Durant, and Simmons probably won’t be ready yet either, and then the Pacers are down and heading further down.  The hardest part will likely be that it’s 3 games in 4 days, not to mention tonight being a back-to-back, but the competition level any individual day isn’t very high.

« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Smart is listed as doubtful for tonight as opposed to being fully out. Have no expectation that he’ll actually play, but the fact that he’s not already deemed out seems to be excellent news.

May be one of those bad ankle rolls that is super painful and seems awful at first, but after a few hours turns out to not be so bad. Had one of those a few years back. Was setting off some homemade model rockets with my boys, and while running back after lighting one I tripped and fell in a hole in the yard. Worst pain I’ve ever experienced, and I was unable to put any weight on it and was for sure I broke it. But after icing it for a few hours it turned out to only be a moderate ankle sprain. Weird.

« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2022, 01:22:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Smart is listed as doubtful for tonight as opposed to being fully out. Have no expectation that he’ll actually play, but the fact that he’s not already deemed out seems to be excellent news.

May be one of those bad ankle rolls that is super painful and seems awful at first, but after a few hours turns out to not be so bad. Had one of those a few years back. Was setting off some homemade model rockets with my boys, and while running back after lighting one I tripped and fell in a hole in the yard. Worst pain I’ve ever experienced, and I was unable to put any weight on it and was for sure I broke it. But after icing it for a few hours it turned out to only be a moderate ankle sprain. Weird.

I've had hundreds of ankle rolls and it's impossible to tell how bad they are at first. The fact that he could put any weight on it is a good sign. The break is hitting at a good time for us to recharge our batteries.

« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2022, 04:46:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Good sign....

Chris Forsberg: Celtics say both Marcus Smart (ankle sprain) and Robert Williams (calf tightness) are DOUBTFUL vs. Pistons. Still seem encouraging that Smart isn’t a full-blown out after rolling ankle.  – via Twitter ChrisForsberg_
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2022, 07:20:27 PM »

Kiorrik

Good sign....

Chris Forsberg: Celtics say both Marcus Smart (ankle sprain) and Robert Williams (calf tightness) are DOUBTFUL vs. Pistons. Still seem encouraging that Smart isn’t a full-blown out after rolling ankle.  – via Twitter ChrisForsberg_

I saw them both as out?

https://twitter.com/CelticsCLNS/status/1494081455726678016

« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2022, 07:27:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Good sign....

I saw them both as out?

https://twitter.com/CelticsCLNS/status/1494081455726678016

Yeah, they were later ruled out. It’s good that Smart wasn’t immediately ruled out, though. Seems like the sprain isn’t as bad as it could have been.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2022, 10:30:08 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I don’t know if this is the right thread to post this, but here you go. This is a great interview of JT by JJ Redick. It’s about an hour or so but I barely noticed. 

https://youtu.be/XiuilGnvb-s

« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2022, 11:17:20 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I don’t know if this is the right thread to post this, but here you go. This is a great interview of JT by JJ Redick. It’s about an hour or so but I barely noticed. 

https://youtu.be/XiuilGnvb-s

Tp for the interview link. I’m going to check it out.

« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2022, 03:35:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Some of the interview from Radiohead’s link above.

As several NBA analysts said that it was time for Boston to break up its young duo, Tatum admitted that he spoke with Brown about their futures playing together. They both came to the same conclusion.

“We’ve had plenty of talks. I think [talks of splitting us up] really picked up this year, especially at the beginning of the season,” Tatum said on J.J. Redick’s “The Old Man & the Three” podcast. “We have plenty of talks — we ask each other, ‘Do you want to be here?’ We both were like, ‘Yeah.’ He was like, ‘Bro, I don’t understand.’

If you really think about it, we’ve had way more success together than this year and what we didn’t accomplish last year. JB’s been to three conference finals, I’ve been to two. Like you said, we’re both still very far from our prime. And I think what people don’t understand is that if you want to break us up, the grass is not always greener. There’s not a lot of guys in the NBA like JB. Or if you want to get rid of me — not to toot my own horn — but I think I’m one of the best players. I couldn’t imagine why you wouldn’t want to have two of the best players, that are under 25, on your team.
“Yeah, there are certain rough patches throughout a season. But we’ve won way more games together than we lost.”

On Marcus’s comment earlier in the season:“They don’t want to pass the ball.”

Tatum shared that he talked with Smart about his comments the following day, which he called a “great talk.”

“It caught me off guard, for sure,” Tatum said. “I think you have to understand with being in the NBA, especially sometimes after — we’d just blown a [19]-point lead to Chicago. This is the beginning of the season, we’re probably like 2-5 and everyone’s frustrated. We’re all probably on edge a little bit. So when I [saw] it, I wasn’t angry. I wasn’t mad or anything. I just waited until the next day.
“I saw Smart at the facility, and we sat down and talked. I think it was a great talk, actually. We had some time to sleep, the adrenaline was going from the game. He apologized for what he said and that it was something he shouldn’t have said in the media and they got his words mixed up or whatever.

“I didn’t take offense. I started off by saying, ‘Listen bro, I make mistakes. I’ve still got a long way to go from where I’m trying to get to.’ I think we ended the conversation on, ‘We’re all in this together. We’re on the same team. We’re tying to figure it out.’
“Obviously, saying certain things like that in the media doesn’t help anybody’s case because that’s all they talk about for the next week or so when they’re referring to the Celtics. It wasn’t the end of the world. No harm. No foul. We’re past it now. “

« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2022, 03:57:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

As several NBA analysts said that it was time for Boston to break up its young duo, Tatum admitted that he spoke with Brown about their futures playing together. They both came to the same conclusion.

“We’ve had plenty of talks. I think [talks of splitting us up] really picked up this year, especially at the beginning of the season,” Tatum said on J.J. Redick’s “The Old Man & the Three” podcast. “We have plenty of talks — we ask each other, ‘Do you want to be here?’ We both were like, ‘Yeah.’ He was like, ‘Bro, I don’t understand.’

If you really think about it, we’ve had way more success together than this year and what we didn’t accomplish last year. JB’s been to three conference finals, I’ve been to two. Like you said, we’re both still very far from our prime. And I think what people don’t understand is that if you want to break us up, the grass is not always greener. There’s not a lot of guys in the NBA like JB. Or if you want to get rid of me — not to toot my own horn — but I think I’m one of the best players. I couldn’t imagine why you wouldn’t want to have two of the best players, that are under 25, on your team.
“Yeah, there are certain rough patches throughout a season. But we’ve won way more games together than we lost.”

Tatum shared that he talked with Smart about his comments the following day, which he called a “great talk.”

“It caught me off guard, for sure,” Tatum said. “I think you have to understand with being in the NBA, especially sometimes after — we’d just blown a [19]-point lead to Chicago. This is the beginning of the season, we’re probably like 2-5 and everyone’s frustrated. We’re all probably on edge a little bit. So when I [saw] it, I wasn’t angry. I wasn’t mad or anything. I just waited until the next day.
“I saw Smart at the facility, and we sat down and talked. I think it was a great talk, actually. We had some time to sleep, the adrenaline was going from the game. He apologized for what he said and that it was something he shouldn’t have said in the media and they got his words mixed up or whatever.

“I didn’t take offense. I started off by saying, ‘Listen bro, I make mistakes. I’ve still got a long way to go from where I’m trying to get to.’ I think we ended the conversation on, ‘We’re all in this together. We’re on the same team. We’re tying to figure it out.’
“Obviously, saying certain things like that in the media doesn’t help anybody’s case because that’s all they talk about for the next week or so when they’re referring to the Celtics. It wasn’t the end of the world. No harm. No foul. We’re past it now. “

Hah! All those on this site that thought Smart was right to call out the team's stars and that it somehow sparked a fire under the Jays. People thinking it was a good thing. Lol.

But when confronted about it, Smart admitted it was wrong and apologized to Tatum. I said it back then. Both Udoka and Smart were completely wrong to go public with comments that should have happened in the faces of the Jays and behind closed doors.

Good to see everyone learned their lessons as apparently Schröder was a bit of an issue behind the scenes and that didn't get out until he was basically gone in a trade. It also did not come from the coaches or players.

That's the way it should be. Keep things in house. Deal with it like mature adults behind the scenes.

« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2022, 04:17:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Hah! All those on this site that thought Smart was right to call out the team's stars and that it somehow sparked a fire under the Jays. People thinking it was a good thing. Lol.

But when confronted about it, Smart admitted it was wrong and apologized to Tatum. I said it back then. Both Udoka and Smart were completely wrong to go public with comments that should have happened in the faces of the Jays and behind closed doors.

Good to see everyone learned their lessons as apparently Schröder was a bit of an issue behind the scenes and that didn't get out until he was basically gone in a trade. It also did not come from the coaches or players.

That's the way it should be. Keep things in house. Deal with it like mature adults behind the scenes.

It's never right to go to the press with negative comments about your team or about your opposition either.

Schroder would have been OK coming off the bench, but as a 1st unit/closing player, he was also iso-heavy whereas White either takes an open shot or passes the ball quickly. White also is a very good defender unlike Schroder and Shroder's TO% this year was almost twice as high as White's career TO rate.

« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2022, 07:11:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Agreed.

« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2022, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2022, 11:56:43 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Now that it's official that Jaylen Brown didn't make the All-Star Game, I've got the Boston Celtics about $1.5M clear of the luxury tax. They have three standard spots to fill. A prorated vet minimum deal runs around $441K if signed on Thursday. Slightly more if signed before.

Keith Smith
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine