Author Topic: Celtics (48-12) at Cavaliers (39-21) Game #61 3/5/24  (Read 10360 times)

Celtics (48-12) at Cavaliers (39-21) Game #61 3/5/24
« on: March 04, 2024, 11:35:10 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (48-12) at Cleveland Cavaliers (39-21)
Tuesday, March 5, 2024
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #61, Road Game #29
TV: TNT,  NBCSB
Radio:Rock 92.9,  WTAM 1100
Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse

Probable Starters

PG: Jrue Holiday    ...................................... SG: Derrick White

C:  Kristaps Porzingis

SF:  Jaylen Brown   ............................................ PF: Jayson Tatum

Celtics Reserves
Oshae Brissett
Sam Hauser
Al Horford
Luke Kornet
Svi Mykhailiuk
Payton Pritchard
Jordan Walsh
Xavier Tillman
Jaden Springer

2 Way Players

JD Davison
Neemias Queta
Drew Peterson

Injuries/Out
Jaylen Brown (knee) questionable
Kristaps Porzingis (quad) questionable
Neemias Queta (knee) out

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla

Probable Starters

PG:  Darius Garland   ................ SG:  Sam Merrill

C:  Jarrett Allen

SF:  Isaac Okoro  ....................... PF:  Evan Mobley

Cavaliers Reserves
Sharife Cooper
Damian Jones
Georges Niang
Craig Porter, Jr
Tristan Thompson
Dean Wade

Two Way Players
Emoni Bates
Isaiah Mobley
Pete Nance

Injuries/Out
Ty Jerome (ankle) out
Donovan Mitchell (knee) out
Max Strus (knee) out
Isaac Okoro (elbow) questionable
Caris LeVert (elbow) questionable

Head Coach

JB Bickerstaff

Game Notes

The Celtics visit the Cavaliers for the third and final game between these two teams this season.  The Celtics won the first game 120-112 on 12/12 and they won the 2nd game 116-107 on 12/14.  Both of those games were in Boston.  The Cavaliers won the series last season 3-1 with the Celtics losing both games in Cleveland and one of the games in Boston and their lone win was in Boston. 

The Celtics are 1st in the East, 8 games ahead of 2nd place Milwaukee, 9 games ahead of 3rd place Cleveland, 12.5 games ahead of 4th game New York, 13 games ahead of 5th place Philadelphia, and 13.5 games ahead of 6th place Orlando.  They are 19-9 on the road and 10-0 in their last 10 games.  They are 33-6 against Eastern Conference teams and have won 11 straight games.

The Cavaliers are 3rd in the East, 9 games behind 1st place Boston, 1 game behind 2nd place Milwaukee, 3.5 games ahead of 4th place New York, 4 games ahead of 5th place Philadelphia, 4.5 games ahead of 6th place Orlando and 5 games ahead of 7th place Miami.  They are 20-11 at home and 5-5 in their last 10 games.  They are 26-15 against Eastern Conference teams and they are coming off a loss in their last game. 

The Celtics just finished up a 3-0 home stand including a 52 point win over the Warriors.  This is the first game of a 5 game road trip that will take them through Denver, Phoenix, Portland, and Utah. They have one game at home against Phoenix before playing at Washington and then back home against Detroit and Milwaukee before another 6 game road trip.

Cleveland is coming off a home loss to the Knicks and they are playing their second straight home game.  After this game they will play at Atlanta and then back home for a 3 game home stand against Minnesota, Brooklyn, and Phoenix.  Then a 3 game road trip through New Orleans, Houston and Indiana.  Then, one game at home against Miami and then Minnesota and Miami on the road. 

Jaylen Brown has been added to the injury report with a left knee contusion.  Kristaps Porzingis remains on the report with a quad contusion. Both are questionable and will be a game time decision.  Neemias Queta is out with a knee injury.  If Jaylen is out, Sam Hauser will likely get the start and if Porzingis is out, then Al Horford will likely start at center once again. 

For the Cavaliers, Donovan Mitchell is out after getting an injection to deal with a bone bruise on his knee.  He will miss the next 3 games.  Ty Jerome is out after having arthroscopic surgery on his ankle.  Max Strus is out with a right knee strain.  Caris LeVert is questionable with an elbow injury that has kept him out of the last 2 games.  If he can play,  he will likely move into the starting lineup.  Isaac Okoro is also questionable with an elbow injury.  If he can't play, then Georges Niang will likely start. 

Key Matchups

vs
Jrue Holiday  vs  Darius Garland
Garland is averaging 18.4 points, 2.4 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.4 steals per game.  He is shooting 45.9% from the field and 37.7%from beyond the arc.   Against the Celtics this season, he averaged 22.5 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists and 1.5 steals.  He shot 45.2% from the field and 46.7% from beyond the arc.   Slowing him down will be key to winning this game. 

vs
Jayson Tatum vs Evan Mobley
Mobley is averaging 15.9 points, 10.3 rebounds, 3.0 assists, and 1.6 blocks per game.   He is shooting 58.3% from the field and 32.4% from beyond the arc.  He didn't play in the first 2 games against the Celtics.  He is a good defender and shot blocker and could make things difficult for the Celtics.  He also is a good rebounder and the Celtics will need to box out to keep him off the boards.

Honorable Mention
Kristaps Porzingis (or Al Horford) vs Jarrett Allen
Allen is averaging 15.8 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.1 blocks per game.  He is shooting 63.3% from the field and is not a threat to shoot 3's.   Against the Celtics this season, he averaged 11 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block and 1.5 steals per game.  He shot 62.5%  from the field but didn't take a three. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always a key to winning games.  The Cavaliers are a good defensive team with a 110.6 defensive rating, which is 3rd in the league, right behind the Celtics, who have a defensive rating of 110.2,  which is 2nd.   The Celtics must make defense a priority in this game and they have to play that tough defense for 48 minutes and not let up.  The Cavs are going to play good defense and so the Celtics will need to match or exceed their defensive intensity because it will likely be harder to score against a tough Cavs defensive effort. 

Rebound - Next to defense, rebounding is a key to winning. Much of rebounding is effort and desire and when the Celtics put out the extra effort on the boards,  it usually carries through to the rest of their game.  The Celtics are averaging 47.1 rebounds per game (1st) while the Cavs are averaging 44.8 rebounds per game (7th).  The Celtics need to aggressively go after every rebound. 

Effort and Focus for 48 Minutes - The Celtics need to stay focused for 48 minutes.  They have to play with effort. The Cavs play hard and so the Celtics need to match that effort and play even harder.   The team that plays harder and is more aggressive is usually the team that comes out on top.  The Celtics also have to stay focused.  They have to focus on taking good shots and making them. They also have to keep that effort and focus up for 48 minutes with no let up and no collapse. 

Don't Get Complacent - The Celtics are coming off a 52 point thrashing of the Warriors.  They are first in the league, 8 games ahead of the 2nd place Bucks.  They are playing a Cavs team without their best player and with a couple other players out as well.  The Celtics need to come out ready to play their best and not play down to a short handed Cavs team and not think they can coast to a win without giving a strong team effort. 

X-Factors
On the Road - The Celtics are playing on the road and will need to stay focused in spite of the distractions of travel and playing in front of a hostile crowd.  Cavs fans really do not like the Celtics.  The Celtics are beginning a 5 game road trip and hopefully they can start it off with a win. 

Injuries -  Both teams are dealing with injuries and the starting lineups are up in the air.  Needless to say, the Celtics will have it much easier if Jaylen Brown and Kristaps Porzingis can play.  If they are out, it has to be next man up to take up the slack.   The Cavs also have a couple of question marks in the starting lineup, depending on whether Okoro is out and whether LeVert can come back. 

Officiating -  Officiating is always an x-factor.  Every crew calls the game a little differently with some calling it tight and others letting them play.  Complaining to the refs about bad calls just seems to make it worse and the Celtics seem to be getting better about that recently.  The Celtics have to adjust to how the game is being called and focus on the game and not on the officials. 

Re: Celtics (48-12) at Cavaliers (39-21) Game #61 3/5/24
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 11:35:36 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Let's go Cs and make it 12 in a row.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 11:36:03 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to Silas  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!

Beat the Cavs!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 11:37:04 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Thanks FLCeltsFan for another game thread and the TP, and a TP back at you.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 06:57:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
so, no donovan mitchell...

do we rest Brown/KP so that we can go all out against Denver? (to defeat the narrative we have no chance against them).

tell tatum this is the game he can take 30+ shots and score 40?

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 07:32:44 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

do we rest Brown/KP so that we can go all out against Denver? (to defeat the narrative we have no chance against them).

Whoever can go, should go. KP just got a rest so shouldn't need one.

Looking forward to more Tillman and Springer.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 08:04:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Q man being out really hurts. Too much pressure on KP I think. 

I would rest Brown and KP if they need it badly . There should be enough fire power and Al and Luke and Tillman fill the paint , put on a good show.

Gonna need JB and KP to beat the Nuggets and test what we got for them.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 08:13:00 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Need to beat the Cavs. they are a contender.
Don't expect LeVert to play either.

Key tonight is getting rebounds.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 08:35:17 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Q man being out really hurts. Too much pressure on KP I think. 

I would rest Brown and KP if they need it badly . There should be enough fire power and Al and Luke and Tillman fill the paint , put on a good show.

Gonna need JB and KP to beat the Nuggets and test what we got for them.

What does our 2-way player being out have to do with KP?  He’s our 5th big who spends most of his time in Maine.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 08:48:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
A little concern about letdown potential after Sunday's game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 08:50:58 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
A little concern about letdown potential after Sunday's game.

It’s a risk, obviously, but this team has been very focused in all but a couple of games.  They’re self-aware enough to know this could be a letdown game, and I think they’ll rise to the occasion. 

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 09:26:49 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I wouldn't be surprised if both Porzingis and Brown were out tonight. I wasn't feeling good about this game to begin with. But it's fine, I think we'll beat Denver and Phoenix this week too
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 02:39:28 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1558
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 03:43:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I wouldn't be surprised if both Porzingis and Brown were out tonight. I wasn't feeling good about this game to begin with. But it's fine, I think we'll beat Denver and Phoenix this week too

We will lose some time. I hope the bench can step up.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I would be surprised IF THEY PLAY honestly. The C's are 9 up in the loss column on the two seed, there is really zero reason to play anybody that isn't 100% right now. And they are just starting a 6 game road trip so might as well get guys a rest day. The c's should be working in rest days for their top 6 the rest of the year. Nobody should be playing back to backs or over 36 minutes in any given game.

Only thing i see derailing this train is health. Take no risks.