Author Topic: Does our bench suck?  (Read 17893 times)

Does our bench suck?
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:37:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I haven't been able to watch the last few games, but reading the news accounts and box scores, our bench seems unable to do  much of anything, especially on offense.  Aside from one nice game from Tony Allen the bench has really been anemic.  Doc or Danny should consider some kind of shake up if this trend continues. I know that it sounds like sour grapes after winning 8/9, but surely you have been wondering the same thing out there, Celtic fan.

Re: Does our bench suck?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:49:47 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I feel the same way. Besides Powe our bench is horrible. But not just our bench Rondo looks awful offensively speaking; I thought he worked on that jumper. PP has bailed out this team two straight games, something has to give.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:31:51 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Rajon Rondo can't score to save his life. How is he going to be an MIP candidate if his shooting touch is worse than last year.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:32:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think the bench is scoring more per game as well as a higher percentage of the points this year than last year.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:38:10 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Tommy Heisohn always say that opposing point guards can't keep up with Rondo because he's top 3 quickest in the league. If thats true why he only scoring 7 ppg. He needs to penetrate the way he did in the NBA Finals.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:44:54 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
i think our bench is good with certain types of teams and struggles with others...

we seem to have a tough time scoring against these long athletic teams.... particularly TA.

when he drives to the hoop, these teams like IND, TOR and ATL are collapsing on him, and when Eddie isn't hitting his three's, TA is basically in trouble because he can't beat three guys off the dribble....

that's why i would love to see the Cs pick up another shooter at the SF position....then you can have the option of playing Pierce with Eddie and another sniper to prevent the kind of collapsing defense that can cause us problems..

Baby and Powe i am actually very happy with at this point.

i'm actually happy with the whole bench, but i think we need to add another shooter to the repertoire...

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:57:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Tommy Heisohn always say that opposing point guards can't keep up with Rondo because he's top 3 quickest in the league. If thats true why he only scoring 7 ppg. He needs to penetrate the way he did in the NBA Finals.

For one thing they are playing off of him, taking away the drive.  But I also suspect he is hurt.  Although he played better tonight, over the last few games he has looked a lot like he did last year when he was being hampered by a leg injury.  He was still able to play, but was missing the explosiveness that he has when he is completely healthy, making it much harder for him to attack the hoop, which in turn made him hessitant.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:13 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
i'm actually happy with the whole bench, but i think we need to add another shooter to the repertoire...

Agreed.  In general I am happy with the bench.  If I could add one thing right now it would be better shooting -- Pruitt could maybe bring this?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:28 AM »

Offline phaze

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
No.

TA is significantly better than last year and mixes with the starters.
Powe looks better.
BBD looks better.

House isn't shooting well and he needs to improve.  The biggest part of his value is hitting 3's to open things up for the guys above.

We'll need to add a guy or two (or find them on our own roster), but the foundation is strong and has the potential to be even better than last year.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Agreed.  In general I am happy with the bench.  If I could add one thing right now it would be better shooting -- Pruitt could maybe bring this?

i'd like Gabe to get some minutes.....i'd also like to see Walker get some too, but what i would really like and doesn't need to be soon or anything is a guy who can stroke it from the wing spots...

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

For one thing they are playing off of him, taking away the drive.  But I also suspect he is hurt.  Although he played better tonight, over the last few games he has looked a lot like he did last year when he was being hampered by a leg injury.  He was still able to play, but was missing the explosiveness that he has when he is completely healthy, making it much harder for him to attack the hoop, which in turn made him hessitant.

yep Globe and hearld have been reporting since last week that Rondo has a "undisclosed" injury.

All Doc would say is "he's banged up a bit, nothing he can't play through"

I suspect that ankle he twisted that sat him the last 4 games of the preseason myself.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:42:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Right now I think the bench is inconsistent, rather than bad.

There's a good deal of talent on those backup units with Leon Powe, Tony Allen and Eddie House ... plus Glen Davis as a solid role player and defender.

I think the team needs time, especially Tony, to (1) mature as players (2) get accustomed to their new roles.

Eddie House is the only true veteran player on that bench rotation, the rest are young players. Leon Powe is in his third year but really only has half a season of experience. Glen Davis is beginning his second season. Tony Allen is in his fifth year but his career has been stopped regularly by injury, and his roles have changed considerably over time, so overall he's still trying to establish himself as an NBA player. This is a young bench who are still finding their niche and consistency.

In terms of roles changing - Tony Allen has the biggest adjustment and that's fairly clear, now a relied upon member of the second unit and first wing off the bench, big step up from last season. House has the second biggest now that he's the only veteran around without Posey, more responsibility to step into. Then you have Leon who is getting far more touches in the low post and being used as a go-to offensive player rather than a finisher. Leon is also still learning on the defensive end. Lots of change. Glen Davis is playing a similar role to last season.

You also have the changes from Tony Allen to Posey. Having a slasher versus a three point shooter. Having a 6-4 guard versus a 6-8 combo forward. Lot of changes.

To conclude, I think the bench needs time and will as both a unit and as individuals (Tony/Powe) continue to improve throughout the season.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
The bench is terrible...lets be honest

Sam Cassell, Brian Scalabrine, Patrick O Bryant, Gabe Pruitt, Bill Walker, JR Giddens...all guys who cant contribute to this team
I just dont see how having 6 worthless players on the bench is a good thing
Tony allen sucks people...You know it, I know it..hes inconsitent, unreliable and you cringe everytime hes on the court in an important situation
we got eddie house backing up rondo, now I love eddie to death but hes not even a PG, and our only true PG did not get better- LETS BE HONEST his shot might actually be worse
Even the guys who do contribute off the bench are average at best

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:45:52 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I haven't been able to watch the last few games, but reading the news accounts and box scores, our bench seems unable to do  much of anything, especially on offense.  Aside from one nice game from Tony Allen the bench has really been anemic.  Doc or Danny should consider some kind of shake up if this trend continues. I know that it sounds like sour grapes after winning 8/9, but surely you have been wondering the same thing out there, Celtic fan.

Chuckle. You really should read the other TA thread. He's halfway to Springfield.

Seriously, the bench doesn't suck. It isn't particularly good, it most certainly isn't deep and it's certainly missing two critical elements for a title run - a quality backup 5 who can matchup with the bigger, more athletic centers in the league, and a perimeter shooter. Pretty expected, frankly, after the horrid summer Danny had. A slasher doesn't replace a perimeter shooter.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »

Offline xChopsx

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't think Rondo is a good offensive scored. He can make those passed and dishes at the right time, but offensively on the scoring side, hes not much of a threat.

I believe our bench is not the best, even though we lost Posey, we still have some dept.