Author Topic: i don't see how tony allen fits  (Read 14020 times)

i don't see how tony allen fits
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:16:09 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
 i like tony i guess because he gets down on himself easy. i was that type of player unfortunately. so i guess i empathize. haveing said that i don't see how he fits come playoff time. even with tony playing like good tony, 95 percent of the time we want paul,ray, and rondo breaking down defenses not tony right? i would guess it will be rare that one of these guys is'nt in at all times in the playoffs. so if tiony is'nt handling it then is'nt he kinda useless on the wing. i mean won't the defense play off him and gladly let him shoot? is the option of going small gone now in big playoff games or do we figure on palying pierce at the 4 maybe instead of what posey was doing? i'm not whining about no posey here i'm curious if you guys think getting someone to fill that role is a necessity. it seems so to me. i think it's realistic to expect guys like perk and rondo could have better years this year but to me with the big improvements elsewhere it just looks like a big problem to me.
   crap. i did't wanna make this a posey thing but can someone give an example of a scenario in the future where we benefitted from NOT signing posey? is that basically a salary slot we can use in the future or was that used on tony and eddie? sorry for such a long post.

Re: i don't see how tony allen fits
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
He fits because he hustles and forces teams into defensive mistakes.. Offensively his jumper has been a little off but he does have one. Once he regains that he is actually pretty potent offensively.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
He fits well on the second team in that the other teams' second team is is as well. His ability to keep pressure going to the hoop will force defensive mistakes.

Think of it this way.  His/your head issues can be worked on.  You can't teach the natural physical ability TA has.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:56:02 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
He fits well on the second team in that the other teams' second team is is as well. His ability to keep pressure going to the hoop will force defensive mistakes.

Think of it this way.  His/your head issues can be worked on.  You can't teach the natural physical ability TA has.

Speaking of second team, I like that line up of Pierce, BBD, Powe, T Allen, and I think it was House. Those guys can play defense, let pierce or House shoot and grab the garbage underneath.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
   crap. i did't wanna make this a posey thing but can someone give an example of a scenario in the future where we benefitted from NOT signing posey? is that basically a salary slot we can use in the future or was that used on tony and eddie? sorry for such a long post.

I think in a year or two when Posey can't guard any of the quicker wings in the league some people will be glad that he's not on the books for another couple of years at 7-8mil a year.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Offensively his jumper has been a little off but he does have one. Once he regains that he is actually pretty potent offensively.

Since when?

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »

Offline spoiled

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1

Yeah.. And Foul the player while shooting 3 (THREEEEE!!) :o

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

he shouldn't have given the ref an excuse but he didn't foul T-mac shooting a three. T-mac was passing to yao, and when tony blocked his passing lane, he kicked him and fell down.

booo on Ta for being to close and giving the ref the bailout option, but triple shame on scott foster for falling for the reggie miller "oh my i seems to have kicked you in the stomach and fallen down like a ton of bricks!" move out of T-mac.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 11:35:05 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Offensively his jumper has been a little off but he does have one. Once he regains that he is actually pretty potent offensively.

Since when?

since pre injury and the end of last year going forward. its not a great mid range jumper, but its not awful. I'd rate it a C.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41

Foster fell for it twice too. The first being on the play that Ray fouled out on.
he shouldn't have given the ref an excuse but he didn't foul T-mac shooting a three. T-mac was passing to yao, and when tony blocked his passing lane, he kicked him and fell down.

booo on Ta for being to close and giving the ref the bailout option, but triple shame on scott foster for falling for the reggie miller "oh my i seems to have kicked you in the stomach and fallen down like a ton of bricks!" move out of T-mac.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Since when?

since pre injury and the end of last year going forward. its not a great mid range jumper, but its not awful. I'd rate it a C.

The pull off jumper? He's always off balance - probably a by-product of the poor handling and poor court awareness - when he's executing the motion, that's why he misses so many of them.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Since when?

The pull off jumper? He's always off balance - probably a by-product of the poor handling and poor court awareness - when he's executing the motion, that's why he misses so many of them.

he misses so many of them because he's not that great of a shooter, but he's not terrable either. He shoots adaquetly when healthy, and for a bench slasher, adaqute is pretty good.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Since when?

he misses so many of them because he's not that great of a shooter, but he's not terrable either. He shoots adaquetly when healthy, and for a bench slasher, adaqute is pretty good.

He's not that great of a shooter because he misses so many shots, and he misses so many shots because of what I said.

Adequate? What are your standards? There aren't a lot of NBA guards with a worse jumper than Tony Allen, slashers or not.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Since when?

He's not that great of a shooter because he misses so many shots, and he misses so many shots because of what I said.

Adequate? What are your standards? There aren't a lot of NBA guards with a worse jumper than Tony Allen, slashers or not.

yes, he is adaqute for a bench player. i don't expect guys off the bench to shoot lights out. there is a reason they are on the bench.

and i disagree, i think thier are alot of gaurds, easpically ones off the bench, with much worse mid range jump shots.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:58:51 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 01:13:54 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Tony Allen is my least favorite player on the squad.

His brain fart rate is intollerable, and last nights game would have been sealed a lot earlier had Tony not turned it over when Paul made a steal and made the outlet pass to him. He must be doing amazing things in practice (which we don't get to see) because how he gets PT with such a low basketball IQ is beyond me. In 16 minutes last night he only got to the line once, which is obviously better than never, but still that's intolerable. Shame on you Turnover Tony for not improving your jumper during the 2 month off season.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland