Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 393991 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2610 on: August 07, 2020, 01:22:30 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
LeBron with a groin injury and admitting something weird is going on with the Lakers internally.

And they just got ousted by the Rockets....wow

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2611 on: August 07, 2020, 03:28:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Anyone here see Pop's comments about Jokic?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29603697/nuggets-michael-porter-jr-continues-restart-surge-nikola-jokic-truly-wows-gregg-popovich-denver-win-spurs

And Jokic, he's like a reincarnation of Larry Bird. He does everything. He's amazing.

Love ya, Pop....but come talk to me once Jokic gets at LEAST ONE NBA 2nd Team Defense. (Larry got THREE during his storied career).

Now - Jokic is NOT bad defensively - but he CAN improve...and SHOULD improve - being that he's lost some weight.

Work on that DEFENSE, Young Larry.
Wheezes when I see this being ignored in Doncic/Bird comparisons
They both also need to work on their shooting accuracy too.  Both are at 31% from 3 this season.  Bird was over 40% once he increased his volume. 

What the performance of Jokic and Doncic suggest is how dominant Bird would be today.
This is something that really irks me about the super casual fans you see on Twitter. Always harping on about how Bird wouldn't be able to succeed today, and then piling onto the Doncic love-fest (which I am very much a part of, don't get me wrong).

Bird would be a nightmare forward in today's league. Imagine him with the shooting license of today's players!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2612 on: August 07, 2020, 05:55:30 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
So far unbeaten in the bubble: Toronto Raptors and .......... Phoenix Suns.

Is this a sign that the Suns are finally making a step forward?

« Reply #2613 on: August 07, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
LeBron with a groin injury and admitting something weird is going on with the Lakers internally.

Is that a real injury?  I saw he wasn't playing last night but just assumed it was because they've already locked up the #1 seed.

« Reply #2614 on: August 07, 2020, 09:20:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Anyone here see Pop's comments about Jokic?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29603697/nuggets-michael-porter-jr-continues-restart-surge-nikola-jokic-truly-wows-gregg-popovich-denver-win-spurs

And Jokic, he's like a reincarnation of Larry Bird. He does everything. He's amazing.

Love ya, Pop....but come talk to me once Jokic gets at LEAST ONE NBA 2nd Team Defense. (Larry got THREE during his storied career).

Now - Jokic is NOT bad defensively - but he CAN improve...and SHOULD improve - being that he's lost some weight.

Work on that DEFENSE, Young Larry.
Wheezes when I see this being ignored in Doncic/Bird comparisons
They both also need to work on their shooting accuracy too.  Both are at 31% from 3 this season.  Bird was over 40% once he increased his volume. 

What the performance of Jokic and Doncic suggest is how dominant Bird would be today.
This is something that really irks me about the super casual fans you see on Twitter. Always harping on about how Bird wouldn't be able to succeed today, and then piling onto the Doncic love-fest (which I am very much a part of, don't get me wrong).

Bird would be a nightmare forward in today's league. Imagine him with the shooting license of today's players!
add in Bird's incredible passing in an era with a wide-open court -- he'd be even more of a one-man wrecking crew on offense today.

« Reply #2615 on: August 07, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Is that a real injury?  I saw he wasn't playing last night but just assumed it was because they've already locked up the #1 seed.

It's probably a nagging injury. The Lakers don't really have anything to play for anyways since they wrapped up the 1 seed, so I think the goal is to be as healthy as possible for the playoffs. The internal issue part though is a bit weird. Maybe it's nothing much, but maybe it's something COVID-related? Idk. That part has also confused reporters a bit.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2616 on: August 07, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

It's probably a nagging injury. The Lakers don't really have anything to play for anyways since they wrapped up the 1 seed, so I think the goal is to be as healthy as possible for the playoffs. The internal issue part though is a bit weird. Maybe it's nothing much, but maybe it's something COVID-related? Idk. That part has also confused reporters a bit.

Makes sense.  Those two are going to have to bring it every night the deeper they get in the playoffs. 

« Reply #2617 on: August 07, 2020, 12:11:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think the Lakers' plan entering the bubble was to ramp up right away, and go hard. When they lost a couple, and already clinched, they changed their game plan, and have reverted to a protection mode.  I don't think they are too worried about their first round opponent, even if it is the Blazers. By the 2nd round, they should be healthy and clicking again. I still think they are team to beat in the West, and only an injury to Lebron or Davis will derail them from making the finals.

« Reply #2618 on: August 07, 2020, 09:05:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think the Lakers' plan entering the bubble was to ramp up right away, and go hard. When they lost a couple, and already clinched, they changed their game plan, and have reverted to a protection mode.  I don't think they are too worried about their first round opponent, even if it is the Blazers. By the 2nd round, they should be healthy and clicking again. I still think they are team to beat in the West, and only an injury to Lebron or Davis will derail them from making the finals.

Lakers are very beatable... Clippers are the team to beat out west. Just put a body on LeBron. He is all the Lakers have. Anthony Davis has proved he cannot carry a team. Just lean on LeBron make sure he does not coast at anytime during a game. Keep going to the man he is guarding. Make him sweat he is not a spring chicken anymore.

« Reply #2619 on: August 08, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
A couple games with Celtics implications today.

LAC vs POR with Kawhi resting, C's fan want POR to catch and pass MEM in the standings for draft pick reasons.

LAL vs IND with Lebron and Davis playing, implications for the 6th seed with IND and PHI tied right now. IND has tie breaker so PHI needs to finish ahead of them to get the 5th seed. I'd rather the C's play IND.

PHO vs MIA. PHO still has an outside shot of catching MEM, but they basically have to win out. MIA losing I believe locks the C's into 3rd.

« Reply #2620 on: August 08, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
This is why the #3 seed is important, we would be more favorable facing the Raptors in Round 2 than Milwaukee.

But of course, we have to get past Round 1 first before talking ahead of ourselves.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2621 on: August 08, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
looks like the Clippers are TANKING for Portland to play the Lakers.

« Reply #2622 on: August 08, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Is Drayond Green getting paid to be on TNT?

« Reply #2623 on: August 08, 2020, 12:52:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Didnt realize Giannis was such a good defender? TNT crew has him winning defensive player of the year.

« Reply #2624 on: August 08, 2020, 01:08:50 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
looks like the Clippers are TANKING for Portland to play the Lakers.

good