Author Topic: Leadership  (Read 3534 times)

Re: Leadership
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 03:41:15 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I think Jaylen has to be a little careful with those leadership claims. It’s possible to irk some fragile ego guys. He’s so far the best player on the team but still these claims might remind people of the claims that Kyrie made and keeps making.

I think the issue with Kyrie was "I am the leader, but all these young guys are not following me"

Jaylen is "I can and will do more to lead these guys to victory"

Honestly,  180 degree difference in where that finger is publicly pointed.

Great point.

And speaking of Brooklyn, isn’t it better that James Harden wasn’t traded for Jaylen? Harden’s appalling bridge burn in Houston is a 180-degree difference from the Boston Celtics team-first attitude.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 03:42:37 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I think Jaylen has to be a little careful with those leadership claims. It’s possible to irk some fragile ego guys. He’s so far the best player on the team but still these claims might remind people of the claims that Kyrie made and keeps making.
Like who? Nesmith and the other first and second year players that comprise the roster? All those guys stink. I appreciate JB stepping up and putting all the blame on him but the reality is the rest of the guys should be profusely apologizing to him for having JB put them on his back to start the season. The roster has zero veteran role player presence. Same issues as the previous years. There is extreme reliance on the starters. If they struggle or are out, there is no reliable fill in. Ainge needs to add some quality depth via trade.

KG wasn’t worried about fragile egos when he made Big Baby cry, and Jaylen shouldn’t be either. He and Tatum were drafted to be the eventual leaders of this team. Jaylen still seems young, but he is a veteran now. He’s helped lead teams to the playoffs.

Leadership should not be given. It should be earned. If he’s going to step into that role, it’s because he’s earned it.

Let the big dogs bark.
Exactly.  I doubt anyone will take umbrage to Jaylen's statement but if anyone does I wouldn't want them on the team. 

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 04:14:44 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Like who? Nesmith and the other first and second year players that comprise the roster? All those guys stink. I appreciate JB stepping up and putting all the blame on him but the reality is the rest of the guys should be profusely apologizing to him for having JB put them on his back to start the season. The roster has zero veteran role player presence. Same issues as the previous years. There is extreme reliance on the starters. If they struggle or are out, there is no reliable fill in. Ainge needs to add some quality depth via trade.

KG wasn’t worried about fragile egos when he made Big Baby cry, and Jaylen shouldn’t be either. He and Tatum were drafted to be the eventual leaders of this team. Jaylen still seems young, but he is a veteran now. He’s helped lead teams to the playoffs.

Leadership should not be given. It should be earned. If he’s going to step into that role, it’s because he’s earned it.

Let the big dogs bark.
Exactly.  I doubt anyone will take umbrage to Jaylen's statement but if anyone does I wouldn't want them on the team.

I agree completely.

Anyway, who could be irritated by a guy declaring he’s going to get down and do the hard physical work that doesn’t get you on Sportscenter - but wins basketball games?

He’s saying this to his teammates more than to the media and us.  This is like Maxwell saying ‘Get on my back boys, because I’m going to carry you’ in the 1984 Finals.

Personal responsibility is where accountability starts. Accountability is the essence of leadership.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 06:40:26 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
"I can do more. I will do more."

- Jaylen Brown, after his 42/9/3 performance in a loss.

How will the team respond? This kind of statement by Jaylen Brown is why I love sports and especially the Boston Celtics. A guy who is taking personal responsibility, and making it public. All the stronger a statement right now, when for media and fans he might be the only one above criticism.

That is leadership. That's what we want to hear at this crucial moment. How will the team respond when it's down?
quote author=nickagneta link=topic=103750.msg2868140#msg2868140 date=1611509251]
That's not all he said:

“A lot of that is on me,” Brown said of the defensive effort. “I’m one of the leaders and captains on this team and I got to be a better leader on that side of the ball. I got to lead these guys defensively. We’ve got to get after teams. We have to have that villainous mentality on defense. Just really making people’s nights a living hell. I can do that and be great offensively at the same time; it just takes a level on conditioning.”
[/quote]

Ewww can't believe I missed these nuggets, I love it all.

This reminds me of stuff pierce did when he played his first game without Antoine and they said pierce might have to might be more of a passer in this game.

Turned out pierce prepared by reading some sun tzu and pierce went out and got his 1st triple double and 1st double digits assists game.

God I loved pierce.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 08:47:15 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
 :laugh:
All the fragile egos clearly quit on Jaylen...Celtics up by nearly 40...I'll take more leadership Captain Brown, thank you.

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 09:28:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Who quit on jaylen?

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 10:14:07 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
No one

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 05:34:34 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Don't know whether those words by Brown made the Celtics play with a different vibe against the Cavs. Obviously an inferior opponent to the 76ers, but the defensive intensity was great. They really made the Cavs look like the young lottery team without a leader what they're going to be.

Jaylen Brown was again marvellous. Theis has had some good games lately and this was another one. Thompson was at least strong on the defensive end. Smart played within his strengths, 9 assists, 5 steals and only 8 shots (5 made) and then he's a very valuable player to the Celtics. Walker was deadly, I didn't expect him to get back to form that quickly. Green is certainly trying to earn more minutes with his hustle plays. And even Edwards and Nesmith had great performances.

Nice to see. Let's hope that they can keep this intensity, pace and teamwork the following games.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 11:48:39 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
 :-\
Don't know whether those words by Brown made the Celtics play with a different vibe against the Cavs. Obviously an inferior opponent to the 76ers, but the defensive intensity was great.

In particular his intensity was higher. He didn't say that we can do better, he said that he could. That's why I'm making a big deal about leadership here. Words do matter, but what he said is more than pointing out what the team is not doing, it's committing himself to being a 'villainous' defender, as he put it.

And even Edwards and Nesmith had great performances.

Fans are quick to judge, aren't they?

During the off-season I posted about what Carsen needs to do to get in an NBA rotation. People are looking at his 3-pt%, which is important, but I think that that part of his game will be fine; he just needs reps.

What I said was really holding him back was two things: 1) getting to the rim and finishing off the dribble; and 2) making plays for teammates.

His early results with getting to the rim and finishing are small-sample sized but impressive: he's 8/9 in the restricted area. This is night/day difference from last season.

Also important for his game is being able to stop and pop short of the rim when he can't get all the way; he's 2/3 on those. Those were jump shots; he needs to add a floater.

As for making plays for teammates - we could charitably call it a work in progress. On the plus side, he's got the lowest TOV% on the team, down there with Ojeleye. Part of that is excellent handles, part is that he's looking to score. Last year he had 10 turnovers - none of them on bad passes, because he wasn't giving it up. That's got to change.

Nice to see. Let's hope that they can keep this intensity, pace and teamwork the following games.

That's the key, isn't it? It's all very well to say you'll work harder, and doing it for a few days against Cleveland and Chicago is at least encouraging. But in March, when everybody's banged up and the team needs him to keep scoring?

To be continued.

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 01:44:53 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
I'm updating Boston's Team Defense on this thread because of Jaylen's speech last week.

The question is, does that kind of action make a difference for the team. He did not just say that the team needed to be more aggressive on defense, he said that HE would be. That's why I singled it out as real leadership.

So what happened this week? I'm tracking Saturday to Saturday, so the numbers include the Lakers game.

On Saturday the 23rd, Boston was 21st in team defense, per Basketball Reference.

On Saturday the 30th, Boston was 12th in team defense, per BR, at 109.8 pts/possession. By the Hollinger method of calculating possessions, Boston was 13th, at 107.6.

http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff/order/false

I'll update this as the season rolls on.

Last year Boston finished the season 4th according to Basketball Reference and 4th by the Hollinger method.

I don't think that the big drop this year can be explained by changes in personnel.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The defense definitely started playing better after being called out by Brown, Stevens and Ainge.

If people watched the national telecast of the Lakers game on ABC, you would have seen a lot of video and audio of Jaylen exhorting his team mates on and calling out defenses on the court because he was mic'ed up.

The broadcast team was extolling the leadership role Jaylen has taken on the team and using the mic'ed up video to prove it. Pretty telling stuff.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The defense definitely started playing better after being called out by Brown, Stevens and Ainge.

If people watched the national telecast of the Lakers game on ABC, you would have seen a lot of video and audio of Jaylen exhorting his team mates on and calling out defenses on the court because he was mic'ed up.

The broadcast team was extolling the leadership role Jaylen has taken on the team and using the mic'ed up video to prove it. Pretty telling stuff.

Eh. I don't take anything of value from this Mic'd up segments. Its performative - guys know they're going to be featured on camera so they're going to talk more. Not just saying this about Jaylen. I've just always thought the segment to be corny and cringeworthy.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman