Author Topic: Patriots 2011 Regular Season  (Read 105708 times)

Re: Patriots 2011 Regular Season
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
With the Pats releasing Ty Warren, do anybody think the Haynesworth deal is more risky now?

The release of Warren is far more surprising than the signing of Haynesworth.  I would find it difficult to believe that there is a strong connection between the signing of AH (ironic initials, huh?) and the release of TW.  In other words, I don't think Bill is now so comfortable in his D-line depth after the signing that he felt he wouldn't need a healthy Warren.  I have to believe that Warren has shown Bill that he is not going to return to form.   

With the release of Warren and Stroud, Pats are clearly not done shaping the 2011 D-line.

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
With the Pats releasing Ty Warren, do anybody think the Haynesworth deal is more risky now?

The release of Warren is far more surprising than the signing of Haynesworth.  I would find it difficult to believe that there is a strong connection between the signing of AH (ironic initials, huh?) and the release of TW.  In other words, I don't think Bill is now so comfortable in his D-line depth after the signing that he felt he wouldn't need a healthy Warren.  I have to believe that Warren has shown Bill that he is not going to return to form.   

With the release of Warren and Stroud, Pats are clearly not done shaping the 2011 D-line.

Yes, I agree.  I think the Pats still have some plans for the Dline.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Lots of excitement with the Pats right now, IMO.
Resigned Arrington, so now they are set at CB (assuming rookie Dowling will be signed soon).
Marcus Cannon is around, and signed, so signs are pointing to him recovering nicely from chemotherapy - this is a guy who could be the steal of the draft.
Pats have cleared cap space to resign Light, which I assume will happen, and I think they will have enough space to also pursue a DL or OLB in free agency, which could be interesting.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2011, 07:29:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
More news from the Pats today, resigned:
RB Faulk
S McGowan
LB White

I don't think Faulk will make the cut, with all the TEs and RBs currently on the roster, but its good to have him around for now, and you never know with injuries.  
I like the McGowan and White resignings -- they provide good vet depth.  With McGowan resigned, I could see the Pats pursuing a trade involving Brandon MerriwetherMeriweather.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
More news from the Pats today, resigned:
RB Faulk
S McGowan
LB White

I don't think Faulk will make the cut, with all the TEs and RBs currently on the roster, but its good to have him around for now, and you never know with injuries. 
I like the McGowan and White resignings -- they provide good vet depth.  With McGowan resigned, I could see the Pats pursuing a trade involving Brandon MerriwetherMeriweather.

TP for the updates, Cman ... I think Faulk might make the cut ... he's a fantastic straight-ahead guy, short-yardage, strong-leg plays, but you're right, we're pretty stacked there at this point. Man, this is going to be a fun season. :)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
im pretty excited for this season...we overachieved last year considering our team was mostly rookies..now with a year under their belt, they should be alot better..and now we add haynesworth/Ochocinco..

imagine the targets Opposing defenses are going to have to guard? Branch, ochocinco, welker, Gronkowski, hernandez

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 10:31:33 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Rondo was at Pats practice today.  Pictures of him with Belichil and Ochochinco...  ill post them tmrw cuz im pretty beat right now.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't like the Haynesworth signing, especially in conjunction with the Warren release. Owners don't care about these guys because they know it won't be their daughter that gets sexually assaulted or punched in the face. 

But it's not like we've even seen this tub of lard play good football in 2 years. 

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Giants have lowered their asking price on Osi Umenyiora to a second round pick and the Patriots are among a handful of teams interested.

The Giants reportedly had wanted a first-round pick for disgruntled defensive end Osi Umenyiora.  Now, the Giants reportedly want a second-round pick for Osi.

The new report comes from Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun, who also reports that the Ravens and Patriots are two of the teams considering making the deal. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/report-giants-drop-price-tag-for-osi/
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Giants have lowered their asking price on Osi Umenyiora to a second round pick and the Patriots are among a handful of teams interested.

The Giants reportedly had wanted a first-round pick for disgruntled defensive end Osi Umenyiora.  Now, the Giants reportedly want a second-round pick for Osi.

The new report comes from Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun, who also reports that the Ravens and Patriots are two of the teams considering making the deal.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/report-giants-drop-price-tag-for-osi/

Very interesting.

Pats have 2 2nds, so could easily "afford" the asking price.  The issue is how much Osi wants in terms of contract.  As I recall, the Pats don't have much space left.

Its fun just to imagine the Pats with Wilfork, (a rejuvenated) Haynesworth and Osi...

EDIT: ... unless you are the opposing team's QB.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just don't know how, from a cap standpoint, they'd be able to pull this off. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 09:45:54 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Do we know for a fact where they are on the cap now?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

No, but here is information from patscap.com as of Aug 2:
According to my figures the Patriots' 2011 cap figure is for $110,950,131 with 89 signed or tendered players. My numbers do not include the cap effect of the signings of Shane Vereen, Matt Light, Tracy White, Brandon McGowan, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, Steve Williams, Marcus Cannon, and Malcolm Williams. The cap limit for the 2011 season is $120.375 million.

The Matt Light contract alone probably cuts half of that $10M space, then throw in the other players, and you're pretty much at the cap.

On top of that, Nate Solder and BJGE have yet to be signed.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

No, but here is information from patscap.com as of Aug 2:
According to my figures the Patriots' 2011 cap figure is for $110,950,131 with 89 signed or tendered players. My numbers do not include the cap effect of the signings of Shane Vereen, Matt Light, Tracy White, Brandon McGowan, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, Steve Williams, Marcus Cannon, and Malcolm Williams. The cap limit for the 2011 season is $120.375 million.

The Matt Light contract alone probably cuts half of that $10M space, then throw in the other players, and you're pretty much at the cap.

Thats def some good info, but nobody does know for sure where we are, i know Schefter was also reporting the pats were looking at Osi, and I respect Schefter a good ammount.  I can't imagine they would be kicking the tires on it if it were financially impossible.

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, I am sure that is the stumbling block here.

Although it makes more sense than ever before with the Pats switching to a 4-3.  

I am sure the Pats could find a way to fit him under the cap, but the question is, are they willing to give him the longterm extension, with lots of guaranteed money that he wants.  

I have a feeling Belichick is just doing his due diligence, and is putting their name in there, in case Osi has just tired of NY, and would be willing to play out his current contract (or maybe even restructure it to 1 year, rather than the 2 currently remaining) elsewhere.

But, if Osi is going to continue to kick and scream asking for an extension, I would be shocked if the Pats stay in this.