Author Topic: Rozier On Get Up! & First Take Today  (Read 25841 times)

Re: Rozier On Get Up! & First Take Today
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Some quotes for ya:

https://twitter.com/bdcceltics/status/1128318761612849152?s=21

On @FirstTake, Terry Rozier expressed little interest in returning to the Celtics if they bring back the same team next year: “I might have to go. I put up with a lot this year, so I said what I said after the season. I think we all know I’m not trying to step into that again.”

https://twitter.com/bdcceltics/status/1128309422269374464?s=21

Terry Rozier on his free agency, on @GetUpESPN: "I'm looking forward to just playing ball. I don't care where I go. Obviously, the Celtics are the only organization I've known for four years, and I love it there."

More Rozier: "I expect for me to get my chance, whether it's with the Celtics or anywhere else. I feel like I can be myself and play my game wherever I go." (Apparently except for this past year in Boston, that is 🙄)

https://twitter.com/bdcceltics/status/1128306624324624384?s=21

Terry Rozier on Kyrie Irving, via ESPN's "Get Up!": "He's a great guy. Great leader. You just have to adjust to his style."

Terry Rozier on ESPN's "Get Up!": "What we'd be talking about in practice is not what we went through in the game. It was like, all right, we're going to keep Kyrie out there and put the other guys out there with him, and we're going to figure it out."

The  part about the game plan in practice vs the game is very telling on Brad and the coaching staff.. not consistent... Interesting

Yeah, I agree.  That's the part of this that is most disturbing and unfortunately very believable.  Whatever fans want to think about Terry's personality here, that part rings true based on what we saw.

This is where I question the dynamic between Kyrie, Ainge, and Stevens.  We know that Stevens wouldn't practice a game-plan without 100% commitment towards executing it in the game.  I really believe that Stevens was told to tread lightly with Kyrie.  Maybe he would have pushed harder behind closed doors if the organization wasn't afraid of losing Kyrie.

Yeah, that’s a delicate situation, especially in the playoffs. Kyrie absolutely should’ve been benched in the playoffs for some of those shots he was taking, but given Kyrie’s mercurial and emotional nature and his free agency status, Brad was put in a tough position.

Hopefully if he resigns Brad will have a tighter leash on him, though I must admit that really does not seem consistent with his personality and coaching philosophy, like at all.

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Some quotes for ya:

On @FirstTake, Terry Rozier expressed little interest in returning to the Celtics if they bring back the same team next year: “I might have to go. I put up with a lot this year, so I said what I said after the season. I think we all know I’m not trying to step into that again.”

Terry Rozier on his free agency, on @GetUpESPN: "I'm looking forward to just playing ball. I don't care where I go. Obviously, the Celtics are the only organization I've known for four years, and I love it there."

More Rozier: "I expect for me to get my chance, whether it's with the Celtics or anywhere else. I feel like I can be myself and play my game wherever I go." (Apparently except for this past year in Boston, that is 🙄)

Terry Rozier on Kyrie Irving, via ESPN's "Get Up!": "He's a great guy. Great leader. You just have to adjust to his style."

Terry Rozier on ESPN's "Get Up!": "What we'd be talking about in practice is not what we went through in the game. It was like, all right, we're going to keep Kyrie out there and put the other guys out there with him, and we're going to figure it out."

The  part about the game plan in practice vs the game is very telling on Brad and the coaching staff.. not consistent... Interesting

Yeah, I agree.  That's the part of this that is most disturbing and unfortunately very believable.  Whatever fans want to think about Terry's personality here, that part rings true based on what we saw.

So basically, Kyrie did his own thing... not what they practiced and talked about. Then instead of benching Kyrie, Brad tried to adjust on the fly to whatever Kyrie was doing? And that's why everything was so disjointed? I'm trying to figure out what he's really talking about here.
Makes me wonder if the mid season direction of Kyrie and Horford playing a two man pick and pop set more and more and more is something Kyrie free lanced. Stevens offensive system was pretty devoid of a two man pick n roll/pop set before this year.

But Kyrie and Horford did it more and more, with excellent success, as the year wore on. It really seems like some stuff Kyrie ran in Cleveland. If Kyrie freelanced that, good for Kyrie. It was much better offense than Stevens any open shot is good no matter who is shooting it philosophy.

That's crap. You have to have your best players/shooters taking the most shots. You have to have a clear pecking order in today's superstar league. This team never had that.

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2019, 01:14:37 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Terry Rozier just now on @FirstTake about the sacrifices he made this season:

"The ball in was either Kyrie or Gordon Hayward's hands most of the time. So, I feel like Terry Rozier is just in the corner or on the bench."

https://twitter.com/darren_hartwell/status/1128315689679429632

He's talking about himself in the third person. This is absurd. He is absurd.

Lol I didn’t see that one. Good Lord the unjustified ego on this guy.

He certainly wasn’t the only problem in the locker room, but he does certainly seem to be the primary problem in that locker room.

He really is becoming Reggie Jackson incarnate.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The Celtics failure was a team wide failure with blame to go around to everyone. Kyrie, in no way, shape or form was this team's only reason for underperforming.

While this statement is true in an absolute technical sense, I'm not sure I accept it qualitatively.   It is the sort of statement that whitewashes the tremendous disparity in responsibility that different characters had in this drama.

A guy like Yabu or Wanamaker simply can't be compared to folks like Kyrie, Al, Stevens, etc., when it comes to the impact that they had on this season.

Kyrie shot the most shots, controlled the ball the most, was second most in minutes, made the most public comments -- whatever measure you want to use, he was overall one of if not THE most influential player on the team.   If the season had gone well, he would deserve the majority of the praise.   And because the season didn't, he has to take the majority of the blame.  That's just the way it is.

I agree, though, that he has some company.    Certainly Ainge and Brad have to be at least as influential on the season as any of the players.

I think Brad really handled this season poorly in many ways.  But at least he has publicly owned that he doesn't think he did a good job.  He called himself out as having made mistakes and needing to learn and improve from it.  So people seem to be willing to back off from flailing him.

If Kyrie had the means of speaking in public in a way as to own his responsibility without hedging, waxing mysterious or throwing others under the bus, I suspect that would go a long ways to improve fan impression of him.   But I haven't seen much sign of that from him yet.

To bring it back to the thread: I don't really see the point of getting too bent about Rozier.  He was the third string small guard who was far too often asked to play as a small wing - a role he has sucked at for two years straight now.   While he sounds like a tool to be complaining publicly, I don't really blame him for being frustrated.  His career is at stake and he's been shoved into a wrong-shaped role.   

In the end, he's most likely going to get picked up by another team so to me that's even less reason to get all worked up about him.

I'm far more concerned about the problems being surfaced by what he has said.   That comment about them practicing one way and then abandoning that when they'd get on the game floor was very disturbing.    Was Stevens that out of control of this team?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
What an absolute mess this team was this season.

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2019, 01:20:18 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Very bad interview. Rozier did not come prepared and fell into their trap questions.
He blames KI and GH and than he is not... just all over the place.

There is zero chance he is coming back here.

Danny Ainge has stated multiple times that he only cares about on-court chemistry.  The quotes and off-court attitude problems do not affect his decision making.  Whether you agree with this approach or not, Ainge will put zero stock into Rozier's comments on ESPN.  Any decision he makes will be based upon basketball fit and salary only.

If Kyrie leaves don't be surprised if Ainge matches an offer from another team.

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Pretty sure the team that gives him a big contract is going to regret it. Hunch it will be the Suns of course or maybe Knicks if they miss out on Kyrie.
I don't think he's getting a big contract at this point.

Any contract he gets might be considered big at this point.

:) Not sure doing that interview was the brightest move in the book for him as well.

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Very bad interview. Rozier did not come prepared and fell into their trap questions.
He blames KI and GH and than he is not... just all over the place.

There is zero chance he is coming back here.

Danny Ainge has stated multiple times that he only cares about on-court chemistry.  The quotes and off-court attitude problems do not affect his decision making.  Whether you agree with this approach or not, Ainge will put zero stock into Rozier's comments on ESPN.  Any decision he makes will be based upon basketball fit and salary only.

If Kyrie leaves don't be surprised if Ainge matches an offer from another team.

Rozier had some interesting comments about playing with Gordon as well. Clearly he didn't enjoy it. With Gordon being in Boston for at least one more season, do you still bring Rozier back?
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Pretty sure the team that gives him a big contract is going to regret it. Hunch it will be the Suns of course or maybe Knicks if they miss out on Kyrie.
I don't think he's getting a big contract at this point.

Any contract he gets might be considered big at this point.

:) Not sure doing that interview was the brightest move in the book for him as well.

He was probably advised by his agent, possibly trying to make the Celtics uncomfortable with matching deals for him.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Terry Rozier just now on @FirstTake about the sacrifices he made this season:

"The ball in was either Kyrie or Gordon Hayward's hands most of the time. So, I feel like Terry Rozier is just in the corner or on the bench."

https://twitter.com/darren_hartwell/status/1128315689679429632

He's talking about himself in the third person. This is absurd. He is absurd.

Lol I didn’t see that one. Good Lord the unjustified ego on this guy.

He certainly wasn’t the only problem in the locker room, but he does certainly seem to be the primary problem in that locker room.

He really is becoming Reggie Jackson incarnate.

It's funny. Since day one Reggie Jackson was my comp for him. Wait...

do you mean Reggie Jackson the baseball player or the basketball player? I supposed either could fit depending on what you were talking about. Rozier sounds like the straw that couldn't quite stir the drink.

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Rozier certainly isn't doing any favors for his reputation.  That said, I hope people aren't going to isolate him as the main culprit behind the team chemistry issues.  If this were true then shame on the rest of the locker room for not flushing him out quickly.
Oh he clearly isn't the only one to blame.

He is definitely the only one giving a national TV interview saying: "Here is exactly how I was toxic and my teammates took opportunities for me to continue to shoot sub 40% even MORE often"

Hayward/Tatum/Brown were also frustrated with not getting the ball/shots they wanted. Only Kyrie/Al ate as much as they wanted.

Makes me love Smart even more, he went out of his way to shoot less because he knew the team needed it. One of the big reasons his 3PT % was better.

On that last line.

Main reason why I want the wings next season to be Brown and Smart.

Brown didnt get it early in the season, but he learned. he is a smart kid.

There has to be a pecking order, and Kyrie is a better scorer than anyone else on the team.

And you have to have a bigman involved. After that you are fighting for 3/4 option. Smart gets that he is the 5th in order in the starting lineup.

Next season
Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

Irving and Davis are the top 2 guys, Horford and Brown next, then Smart.

Someone can be a sparkplug off the bench as the 6th man.

Clear defined roles.

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2019, 01:33:08 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
The Celtics failure was a team wide failure with blame to go around to everyone. Kyrie, in no way, shape or form was this team's only reason for underperforming.

While this statement is true in an absolute technical sense, I'm not sure I accept it qualitatively.   It is the sort of statement that whitewashes the tremendous disparity in responsibility that different characters had in this drama.

A guy like Yabu or Wanamaker simply can't be compared to folks like Kyrie, Al, Stevens, etc., when it comes to the impact that they had on this season.

Kyrie shot the most shots, controlled the ball the most, was second most in minutes, made the most public comments -- whatever measure you want to use, he was overall one of if not THE most influential player on the team.   If the season had gone well, he would deserve the majority of the praise.   And because the season didn't, he has to take the majority of the blame.  That's just the way it is.

I agree, though, that he has some company.    Certainly Ainge and Brad have to be at least as influential on the season as any of the players.

I think Brad really handled this season poorly in many ways.  But at least he has publicly owned that he doesn't think he did a good job.  He called himself out as having made mistakes and needing to learn and improve from it.  So people seem to be willing to back off from flailing him.

If Kyrie had the means of speaking in public in a way as to own his responsibility without hedging, waxing mysterious or throwing others under the bus, I suspect that would go a long ways to improve fan impression of him.   But I haven't seen much sign of that from him yet.

To bring it back to the thread: I don't really see the point of getting too bent about Rozier.  He was the third string small guard who was far too often asked to play as a small wing - a role he has sucked at for two years straight now.   While he sounds like a tool to be complaining publicly, I don't really blame him for being frustrated.  His career is at stake and he's been shoved into a wrong-shaped role.   

In the end, he's most likely going to get picked up by another team so to me that's even less reason to get all worked up about him.

I'm far more concerned about the problems being surfaced by what he has said.   That comment about them practicing one way and then abandoning that when they'd get on the game floor was very disturbing.    Was Stevens that out of control of this team?

So If Kyrie is tops to blame for this season, does he get all the credit for last seasons incredible run with him on the court?

I mean he led the team to the highest win percentage the team has seen since the 2010 season.

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 01:34:35 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Some quotes for ya:

So basically, Kyrie did his own thing... not what they practiced and talked about. Then instead of benching Kyrie, Brad tried to adjust on the fly to whatever Kyrie was doing? And that's why everything was so disjointed? I'm trying to figure out what he's really talking about here.
Makes me wonder if the mid season direction of Kyrie and Horford playing a two man pick and pop set more and more and more is something Kyrie free lanced. Stevens offensive system was pretty devoid of a two man pick n roll/pop set before this year.

But Kyrie and Horford did it more and more, with excellent success, as the year wore on. It really seems like some stuff Kyrie ran in Cleveland. If Kyrie freelanced that, good for Kyrie. It was much better offense than Stevens any open shot is good no matter who is shooting it philosophy.

That's crap. You have to have your best players/shooters taking the most shots. You have to have a clear pecking order in today's superstar league. This team never had that.

all season I was looking at the 2 man game envisioning Davis in Horfords place and Horford spacing the floor in Baynes place.

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2019, 01:35:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

So If Kyrie is tops to blame for this season, does he get all the credit for last seasons incredible run with him on the court?

I mean he led the team to the highest win percentage the team has seen since the 2010 season.

No

He gets credit though

Nobody knows what would have happened in the playoffs

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Here's some of the video from the First Take article. In this one he basically says that he wasn't able to play the way he could play because of Kyrie and Gordon. Apparently he had to share the ball with Kyrie for half his minutes and with Gordon for the other half and that the ball was never in his hands and that he felt Gordon's usage was really high and they ran a lot of plays for him. Obviously Kyrie had a usage of 28% but Gordon had a usage of 18% and in fact he was the one who often was standing in the corner.

Also says that the day that things started to change for the worse for him was when Kyrie announced that he wanted to re-sign, then he felt they threw him in the back seat.

https://youtu.be/EBRYxN4MLPk?t=77

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D